Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2001, 07:47 AM   #1
Desler

Question Good Banner Exchanges?

I was wondering if anyone here could reccomend some good banner exchanges? Ratio's are largely unimportant for me, as I have enough traffic to go around, I care more about reputation however. In particular, I'm looking for 'button exchanges', 120x60, 88x32, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Desler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 07:10 PM   #2
Knut

Unhappy

Here are a few good exchanges:

- Hitexchange.net (Has a dynamic ratio depending on CTR's, so only good if you're putting their banners at a visible spot)

- Exchange-it.com (2:1 ratio) (run by the Fastclick guys)

I've been using exchange-it as the "bottom banner" for one of my sites for a while, but haven't really checked the stats (nor touched the site) for months. I just logged in and noticed that my banner which used to get 1.5 % CTR a few months ago is now down to 0.5% CTR.

From this I take that either the general CTR's on the net has dramatically decreased during the last couple of months, Exchange-it's members have started to "hide" their banners, or the one banner I'm using has been "overexposed" (About 500 000 impressions)

- I've heard good things about bannersgomlm.com , but I don't like their name and the bar beneath their banners. :-)

- Linkbuddies.com has button and "box" exchanges.

- For textlink exchanges (which will bring higher quality traffic) there's Linbo.com and tlxchange.com (the latter run by a Geek/Talk member :-)

[This message has been edited by Knut (edited 06-11-2001).]
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 10:10 AM   #3
Desler

Unhappy

Thanks Knut, preciate it. I'll check those out.
Desler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 07:07 PM   #4
WildComputer

Unhappy

I like Exchange-it best

The best way to use banner exchanges is to test each banner step-by-step to develop a response, and Exchange-it makes it easy.

I don't like Hit Exchanges: why? Because the average banner exchange member has no clue about how to develop a decent banner - so if you learn to develop a good banner, you "win" on an impression-based exchange.

BannersGoMLM is okay, but not fantastic, and you can't easily stick the codes into most banner rotation scripts. Remember they push the referral angle pretty hard - so a lot of people recommend them simply to get more referrals.

I also have used LinkBuddies (okay not fantastic), LinkExchange (didn't like - I quit), SmartClicks (okay not fantastic), Free-banners (too many bikini banners - I quit)

------------------
Sunil Tanna
[This message has been edited by WildComputer (edited 06-12-2001).]
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 07:55 PM   #5
Knut

Cool

Good comments.

Personally, I think there are situations where hit exchanges are good, though.

If you're able to balance and position the banner placement well, and have a high unique visitor ratio (few pageviews), I've found that it's not too hard to get a decent CTR on the banners at my sites.

Since you are guaranteed clicks back, you're in this situation getting the chance to prequalify visitors through your own banners.

Instead of making a high CTR "trick-banner'esque" banner, you'll get the chance to make one that both "brands your url" (I did a test putting the "wrong" url, and I did notice that some (very few) people will type-in the url directly) and says "Click here to buy", and still get the same amount of traffic. :-)

(One drawback is that some webmasters will cheat and click their own banners, but I didn't find that to be a big problem with hitexchange.net - though it's been a while since I checked :-)

Anyway, these are little details that aren't necessarily worth the work/space it takes to get them right :-)

(That goes for the whole concept of using banner exchanges too, in my humble opinion)

[This message has been edited by Knut (edited 06-12-2001).]
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote