Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2006, 05:25 AM   #1
Michau

Default AdSense customer support instructed me to break their TOS

If you ask the AdSense team questions about what is allowed by the TOS and what is not, and actually believe that they are giving you correct answers, you should wake up immediately! Their support team is incompetent and can give you contradicting instructions or actuall lead you to breaking the TOS!

Here's my story. I emailed AdSense team the same question twice: whether I am allowed to put AdSense ads on "404 Not Found" pages. And I got two contradicting answers: one allowing me to do it and one disallowing. From my understanding of the TOS, the second one was correct, but what if I followed the first one? It would probably put me in violation of the TOS. This means that I could be banned from AdSense by following the advice of their support team!

<<Edited out URL to digg>>

Last edited by Jan; 08-19-2006 at 05:56 AM.
Michau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
Jan

Administrator

I viewed the digg article and the link to your own site which had the details. I am sure you can just post the missing bits here
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:05 AM   #3
Michau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
I viewed the digg article and the link to your own site which had the details. I am sure you can just post the missing bits here
So, here's my full blog post then:

When you email Google AdSense representatives with your problems and concerns regarding your AdSense account, you would expect that their responses will be truthful and accurate. Anyway, who could help you better with AdSense than Google employees themselves!

Unfortunately, the case is just opposite. AdSense reps are not educated enough about program policies, and following their advice may actually put you in big trouble! To prove this, I have asked the AdSense team the same question twice: whether I am allowed to place AdSense ads on “404 Not Found” pages. Such possibility could be very profitable for certain webmasters (for example, those running free hosting businesses). And here’s what I learned…

Within one day, I got two totally contradicting answers! One rep, named “Becky”, assured me that AdSense ads are totally acceptable on 404 pages. However, on the next day, a second rep named “Nicole” warned me that I am not allowed to place AdSense ads on such pages.

Obviously, one of these responses must be wrong. Based on my understanding of AdSense TOS, it was Nicole who was right. But imagine that I would follow the advice of Becky and placed AdSense on my 404 pages. Following the advice of this AdSense representative would put me in violation of AdSense TOS and could get me banned from AdSense!

Apparently, AdSense customer service representatives are not educated enough about the program and its policies. This can result in banning innocent publishers who believed that advice from AdSense team is truthful and accurate, whereas in many cases it should not be trusted at all. The real problem is, most people have not enough knowledge to judge whether what the AdSense reps told them is true.
For your reference, I am citing here the two answers I got from AdSense representatives:

Hello Michal,

Yes, you may place Google ads on 404 and 403 pages.

For additional questions, we encourage you to visit the AdSense Help Center (http://www.google.com/adsense_help), our complete resource center for all AdSense topics. Alternatively, feel free to post your question on the forum just for AdSense publishers: the AdSense Help Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adsense-help).

Sincerely,

Becky
The Google AdSense Team

And answer number two:

Hello Michal,

Thank you for your interest in Google AdSense. I’ll be more than happy to
clarify your concern.

No, AdSense ads may not be placed on 404 error pages. As you may know, our
program policies
( http://www.google.com/adsense/policies) state that Google ads may not be
published on any page that is not functioning. Since a page with 404 error
is considered as a non functioning page, please don’t place Google ads on
it.

Thank you for your cooperation.

For additional questions, we encourage you to visit the AdSense Help
Center (http://www.google.com/adsense_help), our complete resource center
for all AdSense topics. Alternatively, feel free to post your question on
the forum just for AdSense publishers: the AdSense Help Group
(http://groups.google.com/group/adsense-help).

Sincerely,

Nicole
The Google AdSense Team
Michau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:26 PM   #4
JFS

if you follow the first advice you can use the first e-mail as evidence
in that case you have a proof that you where following their support advice.
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:09 PM   #5
Alex|Canep Media
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

I wouldent put the account at risk of being banned even though thats evidence that supports your actions Google may permanently ban you and refuse to reinstate you.
Alex|Canep Media is offline   Reply With Quote