Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2008, 05:10 AM   #1
ebookey

Default Free or payed blog hosting ?

I want to start a blog site to promote my main site. Should I register a new domain or a subdomain on my existing domain ? Free or payed blog hosting ?
ebookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
Nutri

I's say if your blog was related to your site, it could be a subdomain. If it was not related a new domain wouldnt hurt I suppose. But I'm new to all this
Nutri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
appage

Well if its only going to be a blog then you might as well just use wordpress. Free hosts aren't really too good.
appage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

Yes, definitely avoid free hosts if you can; unless the blog will largely be built for hobby purposes or as a non-profit tool. In those cases, jumping aboard one of the popular blog hosting communities would be the easiest solution.

If the blog is being created for commercial purposes, find a reliable host, install Wordpress as appage suggested (some hosts come equipped with control panels that will install this tool for you very quickly, simply and at no cost), then skin the site with an appropriate design and start blogging away!

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
catches4u
Member.

I heard BlueHosting is very affordable and very nice. There might be cheaper ones but they provide free wordpress installation and ecommerce items.
catches4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #6
jaibin

Host gator provide cheap blog hosting service.For only $6.95 per month, we can get 3500 megabytes of storage and 50 Gigs of monthly bandwidth transfer. One of their best features is their easy to install third party scripts. We can install tools like shopping carts, blogs, forums and more with just the click of the mouse. Customer support is excellent.
jaibin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #7
haunter

In my opinion, paid blog hosting service is good for you. Free blog hosting service provide limited space for your blog and it contains more advertisements. And also we cannot get a domain name of our own.
haunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
alemcherry

Since this is not your main site, a free wordpress subdomain on a blogger account would be good enough. A different domain name and class C IP in the above case also should help.
alemcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
jen.bas

As for me, paid blog hosting will definitely be better than the free ones..
jen.bas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
tardist

Default subdoms

better to use www.<sub>.domain.com than www.domain.com/sub

best

tardest

tardist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
electronic smoking

i would just use wordpress.com. good rankings quickly and its free.
electronic smoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #12
ket67

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronic smoking View Post
i would just use wordpress.com. good rankings quickly and its free.
Well no doubt wordpress is free and great too. But what if one morning you wake up and saw that wordpress people have banned your account. This will sound strange to you ... but this is fact and I have faced it earlier.

So instead of investing your labour to somewhere else I think you should buy your own domain and put labour at their, so at the end of the day you can call it your own blog or website.
ket67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 AM   #13
Czar

Webmaster

Plus, most commercial hosts do make tools available that enable customers to install Wordpress on their servers in a matter of minutes, so it's still possible to use that fantastic system, while having more flexibility and greater control over your own destiny.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
Strider

It always comes down to the old adage "you get what you pay for". If this is for a commercial venture, you want to have full control over your site and your code. Wordpess is very easy to install and if you already have a hosting account, it's probably not going to cost you anything to add it to your existing account. As Czar said, if it's a Cpanel host, check to see if they offer Fantastico and you can have it automatically install Wordpress in a matter of minutes.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #15
shakir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookey View Post
I want to start a blog site to promote my main site. Should I register a new domain or a subdomain on my existing domain ? Free or payed blog hosting ?
Now hosting is very cheap and payed host are offering unlimited feutures.. for less price.. forget free host.. to avoid future trouble
shakir is offline   Reply With Quote