Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2006, 04:56 AM   #1
mp3PRO

Default Looking for 1 host, but for more domains

The thing is, I don't need a big host for each of my domains. Most of the domains are very small and have low traffic (just project-websites).

Anyone got some advice on this?
mp3PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #2
Rivux
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

A reseller account would do you well, it allows you to have multiple domains all hosting under one account. There are literally thousands of companies that offer reseller hosting but 3 that Ive been happy with and am currently using are ResellerZoom(advanced/premium plans are best, the budget is a bit oversold on servers), JodoHost(for windows machines asp/cf/ms sql) and BeachComber.net(decent prices, my favourite support so far).

For more information on these and other hosting companies I suggest WebHostingTalk.com and thewhir.com/reseller. If you are just hosting very low traffic, minimal database websites then the budget package from ResellerZoom is the best value, they just cram a whole lot of sites onto each server for that package so don't expect super fast loading.
Rivux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
Jan

Administrator

How many domains do you have?
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
peter Hobday

Default web host required in the UK

Hi - I am also interested in finding a UK based webhost, preferably one that offers good support because up to now I have had colleagues do this for me. So treat me as a beginner!

I like the idea of multiple domains hosted under one account as I will be setting up around six websites, with a maximum of around 20 pages each. Can you explain how that works and what the addresses look like etc? If there is a tutorial on setting this up I would be interested in reading one.

I have heard that some webhost companies are found by search engine crawlers more than others, so this is better for SEO purposes. Is this so?

Thanks
peter Hobday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #5
TemporaryID

Default Dreamhost.com

I personally use http://www.dreamhost.com you can have unlimited domains/subdomains under 1 account. No extra charge either. Plus you get free registration for 1 domain upto 1 year.
TemporaryID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
mp3PRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
How many domains do you have?
Thanks so far Geeks!

Same as Peter Hobday, the plan is for 5 or 6 to start with, max 10 Mb per domain. If they start using a lot of bandwidth i'll move 'em. Do not want to just redirect the URL, i can do that already.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
peter Hobday

I need a UK host for support and so both UK and USA search engines find the sites.

Peter
peter Hobday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

Voxtreme offer great reseller programs also. They have staff based both in the US and the UK. I've had a few packages with them since about 2002 and they've been great durnig that time. Minimal scheduled downtime and good advance communication ahead of server upgrades and the like.

In regadrs to adminstration, most reseller hosts seem to offer cPanel and WebHostManager. Setting up packages and adding hosting accounts through WebHostManager is a user-friendly process that is very simple once you're familiar with the interface. You won't need to learn to operate things through the command line or anything like that when dealing with Voxtreme or one of the many other reputable reseller hosts.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:29 AM   #9
mp3PRO

Hello Czar,

Voxtreme looks very pro, but $35 a month is to much to start with. (These sites don't generate any income yet)
Any experience with http://www.dreamhost.com maybe, or can you recommend a other host thats about $8-10 a month, that's reasonable for me.

{lol: Cool!**
Old 02-08-2006, 04:48 AM   #10
Jan

Administrator

Dreamhost seem to have varying reviews, but of late, most have been negative. I have recently (October from memory) signed up with www.getmehosted.com with a small reseller account and it seems to be all going smoothly. All my sites use less than 10GBs bandwidth a month.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:51 AM   #11
Rivux
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

The resellerzoom i mentioned above is only $5 a month which is a pretty good deal i think. As for dreamhost, my experience with them wasn't very good. They don't offer cpanel/plesk or any other standard control panel, they have their own custom one which I thought was garbage.
Rivux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:08 AM   #12
frank3

Default Check out HostGator

HostGator is not located in the UK (that I'm aware of), but they have just about everything you have asked about.

Their smallest plan with multiple domains is called "Baby". Has 5 gigs of space and 5 gigs of bandwidth. The unlimited domains are addon's. They look just like they are stand-alone sites but are shown as sub-domains in your control panel.

Cost is $9.95 US for the monthly plan. They have a live chat service, a users forum, and telephone and email support.

I've had sites hosted there for two years now. Only minimal problems and support has been good.

They also offer reseller accounts and dedicated servers if you are interested. Their affiliate plan is pretty popular and they recently went to CJ as well as running an in-house program.

Frank
frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #13
Czar

Webmaster

Be a little careful with HostGator. We've had a few sites with them for a couple of years and although support, prices and reliability have been quite good for the best part of that time, our sites have been defaced on no less than two occasions - due to exploits that could have been patched simply through WHM software updates (which resellers can't access).

If this had only happened once, I wouldn't even mention it, but we faced this issue a couple of times and on both occasions the offenders were able to deface the index.html page on all of our hosted domains.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 02-13-2006, 01:59 AM   #14
frank3

Default Ouch

Can you tell us anything we could do to prevent a similar occurance?

Frank
frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:41 AM   #15
Czar

Webmaster

In a reseller environment, you often don't have control over the administration of the server, so there's not much you can do outside of being confident that the host you choose is conscious of the need to patch and update their systems regularly.

HostGator may be better these days. In fact, despite the trouble I had with them, I still have five or six sites hosted on the same package right now and it's been about 12-18 months since the server was last exploited this way. While they have lost my faith to some extent as a result of those earlier incidents and while I'd tend to recommend someone like Voxtreme or HTTPme instead, HostGator are probably still one of the better operators in the low-budget reseller market. Just make sure you pester them every few months to make sure your machine is running up-to-date software and is hidden behind a decent firewall.

Also, make sure you maintain local backups of all of your sites, just in case.