Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2002, 11:21 AM   #1
Bill Stoller

Lightbulb Essential Free Publicity Tip...

Hey all:

Add this free publicity tip to your marketing strategy:

What do all best public relations agencies do in January every year? They research the editorial calendars from publications that are pertinent to their clients.

You should too.

Editorial calendars are schedules of what topics a publication plans for cover for a particular month. For example, INC. editorial calendar for March 2002 (http://www.inc.com/about/advertise/m.../calendar.html) states that they're writing an article on successful entrepreneurs' ideas on starting a new company.

Bingo! If you feel that you can contribute to a particular topic, call or email the editorial department at INC. (try to "speak" to the managing editor) and find out who (which reporter) has been assigned to write the story. Email or call (preferably) the reporter and explain how you can contribute. It's that simple -- it takes less time than writing this post - and is much more effective than blast-faxing a garbage bound press release to inappropriate reporters.

Final thoughts:

Many publications post their editorial calendars on their Web sites -- usually they're found in their advertising media kits. Otherwise, contact the publications' advertising departments and ask for a calendar.

Check for editorial deadlines - many publications work 6 months in advance.

Warmly,

URL=http://www.publicityinsider.com/freezine.asp]Publicity Insider - Clcick here to sign up for FREE ezine![/url]
Bill Stoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 04:50 AM   #2
ceo

Arrow Thanks Bill !

That was a neat idea.
Not new but a nice tip.
I mean I always want to do that but just that ACTION is important.

Thing here though is that I'm no tin the US & over here the pace & style varies with the repoters.
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 06:42 PM   #3
neonjudge

yeah thats a pretty cool idea. i have been thinking about sending a bunch of faxes or emails to some magazines, but i never knew who to send it to.
neonjudge is offline   Reply With Quote