Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2001, 09:22 PM   #1
brian 2468

Question To meta tag...or not to meta tag

I'm building a new animal site with many images....would it be good to Meta Tag all theses pages and images or could it hurt my ratings.........
brian 2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 03:10 AM   #2
Hope

Unhappy

I recomend using meta tags and alt tags. This will provide some basic information on the pages and images. Make sure that your meta tags describe what is on each page, not a general description of the entire site.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 06:21 PM   #3
brian 2468

Thumbs down

thanks for you input....brian 2468
Old 03-21-2001, 10:52 PM   #4
Ronin

Unhappy

For sure use the Description tag but you don't really have to use the Keyword tag since most search engines don't care about it and don't read it.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 10:48 PM   #5
brian 2468

Thumbs up

thank you for you help
Old 03-22-2001, 11:14 PM   #6
brian 2468

Question

Okay when it comes to Submitting my web site I will Meta Tag every page... as every page has different animals...... would it be best to sumbit them individualy...?

------------------
Old 03-23-2001, 06:28 AM   #7
Knut

Unhappy

Just a quick note:

While it's a good idea to use different meta tags for every page, you may want to put your same main keywords (a few of them) on every page too, as this may establish a "theme" for your site.

For example, if you do the following you should have a higher chance of ranking well on "animal pictures" for your index page:

1) Add "animal pictures" among your keywords on most of your pages.

2) Use "animal pictures" in the title or content of most of your pages.

3) Link back to the index/home page from most pages. (Which is a pretty smart thing to do, anyway ;-)

(Disclaimer: I don't claim to be a search engine optimization expert, but doing the above I've had many top 5 rankings for competitive keywords and phrases. Of course there are many other factors involved, though...)
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 06:38 AM   #8
Knut

Unhappy

If you decide to submit them individually, just remember to not submit too many per day,
as you could be penalized and/or banned.
Old 03-23-2001, 02:37 PM   #9
brian 2468

Smile

I'm getting great info here thanks again, being a hobby this is my second web site and its invaluable to hear from webmasters

------------------
Old 03-23-2001, 03:02 PM   #10
Knut

Unhappy

Glad to be of help :-)

A few more random thoughts:

Keep in mind that it's very difficult to rank well on any competitive term on any other page than your domain's index page.

Doing the technique above I have often found to rank better on the index page than the subpages for keywords I didn't use more than once on the index page in the navigational menu.

Oh, and remember: use your main keyword in the title of your index and in your first lines of text (preferably in a heading).

Google, Altavista and AOL.com especially seem to like this :-)

(Submit to dmoz.org to get into AOL - try to squeeze in your main keywords in your description while still writing a sentence that makes sense)
Old 03-23-2001, 10:02 PM   #11
brian 2468

Question

Hey thanks again..... yes I see that the Title ..... Content......description... should all flow together and the keyword fits in with the whole theme of things.....my first site shipton homes was an info site...for clients that were building with me....I submitted it myself to all the big engines and would rank no#1 when searching its name... yahoo of course took a little while longer.....a month back noticed its off the ranking with most search engines......I never updated the material on the website content....would this be why it lost its rankings.....?.

------------------
Old 04-02-2001, 05:57 PM   #12
w4an

Unhappy

Our platform dynamically fills in meta content that is relevant for each page delivered. Descriptions are very important because it is what people look at when they see the search results. We fill in keywords, although I don't think it helps much. I do believe that ALT text is very important. Again, relevancy with your content is the biggest deal.

If your pages can be indexed by the engines, I think you are wasting your time submitting each one. Just make sure they can all be found from your home page through some path. If you are using query strings in your URLs (?id=1234), then you should find a different solution. The engines won't index those pages unless you submit them manually.

I'll try to illustrate this further using your site...

You might have a photo gallary where people upload pictures of animals. When they do, they give it a title and description. We would use the title to dynamically fill in the meta description and alt text for the picture. The URL might look like www.something.com/pictures/1234, so the page can get indexed. Then, anyone viewing the picture can add their own comments, which adds further content to the page. This increases the chance for more relevant or unique keywords being added to the page.

Some day we hope to deliver optimized pages for each engine when it is detected spidering the site.

Hope this helps. Do use the ALT text and keep the words relevant to your content.

Bill

------------------
w4an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 08:55 PM   #13
brian 2468

Smile

Once I finish most of the ground work-building up images and all the info on each animal. I will be looking for to puting the pages together with everyones added input it is much appreciated.

thanks... Bill for you insight
Old 04-02-2001, 08:58 PM   #14
brian 2468

Smile

Once I finish most of the ground work-building up images and all the info on each animal. I will be looking forward to
puting the pages together with everyones added input it is much appreciated.

thanks... Bill for you insight