Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2005, 11:44 PM   #1
atulng

Post are those dangerous ?

hi people,

I was wondering about the Freeware and the Spyware softwares which may have adverse effects after installing them on the system. I just wanted to know what are the disadvantages of those softwares? Are those dangerous ?
atulng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
Larwee

GeekGuide

atulng, some free software is made available for free because it is advertising supported. Some of it doesn't make it clear that it is ad supported. The advertising can disrupt your software usage.

Some spyware is more dangerous than others. In addition to sometimes being a big pain some spyware can cause some very serious problems.

Of course you can remove spyware from your computer. Some adware software might not properly work when the advertising is removed. I don't know about you, but I don't want spyware on any computer I'm using.

You can use the following to help deal with the spyware problem:

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Spyware Blaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Last edited by Larwee; 01-30-2005 at 02:07 AM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:15 AM   #3
masm50

A lot of freeware is just free though, and does not come bundled with any kind of adware or spyware.

You just need to do a bit of research on any bit of software you install, and see what other people have to say.

Regards

Tim
masm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Larwee

GeekGuide

I certainly didn't mean to imply that all freeware is a problem, because it isn't.

I've had a freeware section on my site for several years and I was offering freeware before then. So I do know a few things about freeware.

But, there is a problem as masm50 does suggest. It takes research and it takes a lot more research now than it did a few years ago because it is a much bigger problem.

I haven't updated the freeware section for a long time and I'm considering eliminating it because of all of the extra research that is now required to make sure that people aren't getting problem software.

But, there is an awful lot of great freeware in this world. Some of it is as good or better than the expensive software.

So my reply above was devoted more to dealing with problem freeware and/or adware than it was to all adware and/or freeware. I certainly didn't want to imply that all freeware is bad. That is far from the truth and having been involved in the distribution of freeware for many years I know it isn't all bad.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:29 AM   #5
atulng

hey Lawree and Tim, thanks a lot about all the information u gave. And also thanks for the spyware blaster links.
atulng is offline   Reply With Quote