Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Technical Questions about geek/talk
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2004, 02:29 AM   #1
cheznoir
Member.

Default Odd Geek Village Ad

The focusin ad with the text

Mamma wants a "Business Relatiship" that SATISFIES publishers...

http://www.geekvillage.com/banners-f...tisfaction.gif

Is somehow the thought of my mom seducing and sexually satisifying a stranger, supposed to want me to signup? What is with all the focusin ads dealing with "momma" and something sexual? Makes me think I am not in the demographic they are hoping to appeal to, and I am pretty happy with that.

Chet
cheznoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:02 AM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Thanks for noticing.

It's a very very clever play on words which is certainly PC and PG.

And it has it's roots in the fact that focusin.com is a MAMMA . com company.

See: http://www.focusin.com/corpInfo.htm

Corporate Overview

The focusIN Specialty Web Network is a leading provider of targeted Internet advertising. focusIN was founded in 1997, and is now a Mamma.com company. Currently focusIN manages advertising for over 5,500 specialized sites within its network reaching 27 million unique users by delivering millions of impressions each month.

Even more clever branding across properties may be seen in the humorous "mark" and sell line at:

http://www.mamma.com/

What's a tad ironic is the fact that for quite some time we have been running another creative for another company which does in fact have a somewhat "edgy" word in it. I would have thought that after over a month someone would have noticed but unfortunetly thats not the case. Should I offer a prize?

Look closely and you might find it. We all got a great chuckle out of this and we must have debated the issue for 15 minutes

Last edited by Steve_S; 04-28-2004 at 04:13 AM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:48 AM   #3
sdarken

Like all good advertising, the ad has to get your attention to be effective. Now there's a whole thread about them. They are getting lots of extra attention for being a bit off-color.

Mamma will be pleased. Not sure what Pappa is going to say though.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:07 AM   #4
cheznoir
Member.

I am not a prude by any means, no, but I don't know, maybe I am not on board here with the mainstream. I don't find the ads enticing but revolting. *** with my mom is not what I am looking for. The whole cigar thing, sexual innuendo, please not with my mom. Anything sexual with my mom or motherly figure is not what i ever want to see.

I mean, I could make up ads that said - "Hotter than my sister on her..." and show a woman kneeling before a man - and while that might appeal to the NASCAR crowd, I am not thinking it would be appealing to me - even though it might grab attention.

I understand it is a momma company (a poor name to begin with if you ask me), but just because an ad gets you to talk about it, does not mean it entices me to work with them. Ad networks are like banks, I entrust them with my money. I don't want edgy.

Chet
cheznoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
fgraph

i personally don't think that people look into as much as you do or, quite frankly, care. It's just a branding effort and mamma is a respectable company. the ad isn't that offensive, but more humorous in my opinion. also, mamma.com is a great name--"mother of all search engines" etc., They've done pretty well so far...
fgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:13 PM   #6
techguy

Well one can argue that just getting people to remember your company name is a victory. I find the ads on TV to be very offensive but they must work because they keep lowering the bar.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote