Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2002, 01:48 PM   #1
bhurd123

Angry Stopping Windows from adding ".txt" to unknown text files.

I currently have a problem. My users have files they are uploading that must maintain the eight dot three naming convention. But They also need to version control the files. Unfortunatly, someone decided it was a good idea to add a number as part of the extention. (Example: testfile.001) Using letters and numbers they have 46,656 combinations (Not counting the eight charictor file name and the possibility for upper and lower case). When they try to download these filed from the web the browser (Explorer or Netscape) appends a .txt extention to it. Does anyone know of a change in the registry or somewhere else to stop windows from doing this by default?

I know I can put the file name in quotes, selecting "All Files", or rename the file after transfer. I need a solve that can be applied to all users with little to no user training. Basically I need the impossible.

Thanks,

Brook
bhurd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 05:36 PM   #2
Webdude

Do you have it setup on your server for these files to be read as text files? If it's possible, could you have them set as

testfile.001.bin

instead? Depending on your server setup, the browser will remove the .bin and leave the rest without change.
Webdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 05:54 PM   #3
Jan

Administrator

Oh goody! I get to say hi to two members at once! Welcome bhurd123 and Webdude to the "village"

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 06:36 PM   #4
Webdude

Quote:
Originally posted by Jan
Oh goody! I get to say hi to two members at once! Welcome bhurd123 and Webdude to the "village"
Yeah, after you threatened to kick my butt half a dozen times if I didnt get over here...LOL
Old 11-06-2002, 12:13 PM   #5
bhurd123

Default Hello and Thanks.

Hello, It is nice to feel so welcome to the group.

I still could use your help though. The solve you gave me would work if I had server access. Unfortunatly, the tool they use is propriatary and cannot be changed in this way. Have you heard of a fix that can be applied to the users tools systems. It would only have to be a Windows fix, since it doesn't happen in Unix or Linux.

Thanks,

Brook
Old 11-08-2002, 01:52 AM   #6
Webdude

With Unix I could easily write a script to simply rename them. With windows however....dunno. I am giving you a link to a windows registry hack site (be VERY CAREFUL!!) that may have a reg you can allow for download to accomplish this if it is something that has to happen on the end user's side. The only other way I could help is for you to give me a link to one of the files for download. It could very well be that the server itself is considetring them as text files and changes it before it finishes the access request. Kinda depends on how the server sysadmin has things setup there.

http://members.aol.com/axcel216/
Old 11-21-2002, 03:57 PM   #7
bhurd123

Default Link Broken for Windows Hack SIte

The link to the Hack site you mentioned is broken. ANy other suggested sites?

Thanks,

Brook