Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2001, 09:00 AM   #46
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Hi Andrew,

Thanks so much for joining geek/talk and your post http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Steve_S
Administrator/Owner/Webmaster/Tribal Chief/Janitor
Read what our Members think of geek/talk.
"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant." -Horace
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 12:49 AM   #47
jemma

Location: New York City: From Ground Zero to Ground of Heroes
Unhappy

Hello Andrew, and welcome to the board.

The messages we got from Mailbits made it increasingly clear that only a court could compel you to be responsive and accountable for your actions (e.g. not paying what is legitmately owed, or deleting legitimate accounts). So, speaking for myself, I must respectfully disagree with how you characterize your treatment of affiliates. If you had been responsive, or acted in an honorable manner, court action wouldn't have been necessary.

I know you've already been served with the court papers. As I've said both here, and to your program manager, Chris - that things have come to this makes me sad. I really liked Mailbits. But you cannot take affiliate earnings without justification, or consequences.

Jemma
jemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 02:28 AM   #48
Toefur

Unhappy

As a result, thousands of affiliates either blatantly defrauded our system or intentionally sent us worthless traffic.

I'm just curious on this one. How does one send worthless traffic with the mailbits program?

As all it was was a form that people filled in to tell their friends or whatever about a certain website.

Just wanna know what counts as 'intentionally sending worthless traffic'? Thanks :-)
Toefur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 08:16 PM   #49
JonPKibble
Member.

Unhappy

What if you CAN'T prove your traffic was legitimate? Seems hard to do especially if you don't advertise and most traffic is word of mouth. If I don't have any spam complaints isn't that good enough? Because I don't see what "un-legitimate" traffic is.

Nonetheless, I was able to justify MY traffic. However I've been told my justification wasn't good enough, and wasn't told how to make it better. Being a math major, I did the math, and it works out fine. I spent $3000 on GoTo over a couple months on 'funny pictures' a very high ranked keyword. Got about 1000 uniques a day, which on average send to 3 people (checked my stats to figure that one out). So that's 4,000 daily uniques extra plus the ones they send to. Which is pretty much what I had - a double in traffic, almost triple. Which was told to me is grounds for CHEATING.

I WAS PUNISHED FOR GROWING MY SITE WITH A PAY PER CLICK SEARCH ENGINE.

However I've sent in documentation via snail mail and I hope I do get at least some of my money. I realize MailBits didn't do too well and should I get at least half my $$$ I'll be a happy camper. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif I would love to see them stay around and pay for a long time.

Jon Prywes

P.S. This msg is mainly directed at Andrew Warner but I wanted everyone to see it.

Thanks again.
JonPKibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 01:24 AM   #50
thewebmaster

Question

Has anyone that was canceled without pay shown proof that they were not cheating and recieved their pay or recieved word that they will be payed?
thewebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 06:37 AM   #51
cashcash

Unhappy

JKibble

Don't you guys have hit counters?
cashcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 02:19 PM   #52
JonPKibble
Member.

Unhappy

Of course I have a hit counter. But that does no good. They're saying that my traffic went up because I advertised my site illegitimately. Basically they're treating everyone as guilty and making them prove their innocence. But however, they are making it impossible to prove you are innocent. They have an answer for everything. "It doesn't add up" and other vague responses. I keep asking what they want me to show but they won't tell. It is a big secret. (Because of course, there is no way to prove you are innocent, because this is their way of saying they don't wanna pay us!)

I still feel bad for my friend who was owed 84,000 - I am only owed 4,000 (ONLY?) I spent 75% of my owed money advertising, he only spent like 20%. His pages were great and people sent them to their friends. Mailbits denies that 'viral traffic' can make your traffic triple. Of course that is wrong!

I'm not really counting on getting the cash but I have learned a valuable lesson: don't put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to affiliate marketing.

[This message has been edited by JonPKibble (edited 05-07-2001).]
Old 05-09-2001, 03:28 AM   #53
moose

Unhappy

Can anyone post the email address at which Mailbits (including Andrew) can be contacted?

I have tried looking through the mailbits.com site but couldn't find a single contact email.

They owe me more then $6000 for the months of January and February and I would like to get some sort of response before taking any further action.

Thanks

mooseman@mail.com

[edited a typo]

[This message has been edited by moose (edited 05-09-2001).]
moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 12:06 PM   #54
emmzee
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Angry

Well part of the problem may be that they send out checks to the wrong addresses? I got a check for "Danny Ng" sent to my address, but that ain't me. I am a Mailbits member but I didn't earn the amount on the check, so it must be his not mine. I emailed them about it earlier today. It took me awhile to figure out that the company on the check was actually connected with Mailbits, since it didn't say Mailbits anywhere on the check/envelope.

Kind of makes you wonder how something like that could happen by accident, eh?

------------------
Darren Hewer
webmaster, www.dosgames.com & www.potofgold.org
dosgames.com is back! Visit for over 200 freeware/shareware DOS games.
"Some people have a way with words, while others ... uhhhhh ... thingy."
emmzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 03:19 PM   #55
JonPKibble
Member.

Unhappy

OK,

Just wanted to post my current situation to be fair to MailBits, because I know I've been quite negative.

Richard DID get back to me today having received my package w/receipts and such. I was told I am going to be paid Monday. It appears everything is going smoothly.

Worthless traffic, by the way, included people who used the tell a friend service and put invalid email addresses. This put a lot of strain on the server and cost them a lot of money. While this isn't something we affiliates can control, it does affect their payout rates. Let's keep that in mind.

As for the check - I will let you know what happens. It sounds like everything should be fine. I still think the way they went about this wasn't too great - that is, they should have just paid a percent of profit from the start, like SuperTAF - but that is a non-issue since "could haves" don't really matter much. Given the situation, this really does appear to have been their only option, since they do want to stay in business.

I have a BBB complaint form I received in the mail today. I will not need to be sending it in should I receive my check next week. I am actually very pleased with the way they handled this. Much better than AllAdvantage.

Jon
Old 05-10-2001, 04:33 PM   #56
Knix

Unhappy

I would just like to say that I too am finally going to have my checks sent http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif I feel that Chris handled the situation very well and was good about the situation. It appears to me that if you have a good reason for your traffic changes then they will take care of you. Good Luck to all who are still waiting.
Knix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 05:21 PM   #57
Knut

Cool

Great news, Jon & Knix.

I also just received an email from Richard saying that my check will be sent with tomorrow's batch. :-)
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 11:58 PM   #58
cashquest

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by moose:
[b]Can anyone post the email address at which Mailbits (including Andrew) can be contacted?

B]
warner@mailbits.com

Wont make a difference though, I tried emails and phone calls for a week straight with no reply!

P.S. Hows everyone doin in regards to mailbits?

cashquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 05:21 AM   #59
Victoria

Question

Could you guys please post the contact email for Richard and Chris?

We are owed $7000 for January and February, but still did not get anything from Mailbits.

By the way, could ANYONE from international Mailbits ex-affiliates post here whether they got paid by Mailbits for January/February? NONE of the international webmasters I know got paid.

I heard that many international webmasters want to join and file one big lawsuit which will ruin Mailbits. Personally I do not yet consider joining yet, as I hope Mailbits will resolve this in professional and peaceful manner.
Although my hopes are melting with every day, when I check my snail mail...
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 06:30 AM   #60
JonPKibble
Member.

Unhappy

Victoria,

I will gladly give you Richard's e-mail address but I rather send it privately, and your e-mail address is not in your profile Please email me at Jon@funnywebsite.com and I'll give it to you. I don't feel comfortable posting it on this board without his permission.

Jon