Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2002, 12:37 AM   #31
drall

Default re

ok bud its up there, passing out............
drall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 07:34 AM   #32
maddeningcrowds

Default AntiAdbuster Bug

Line 83 reads:

Code:
response.write "<IFRAME width=1 height=1 framespacing=0 SRC=b1.asp?rand_id="& INT(10000)*RND &"&p_loc="& ref_script_name &" frameborder=no scrolling=no>"
There is no closing IFRAME tag, so when placing the code in my site's header, the whole of the rest of my site dissapears into an iframe :-(
maddeningcrowds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 07:36 AM   #33
gallery

Funtoon,

Tell the guys at www.bravenet.com about your software.

They are the number #1 site in the world for webmaster resources (I think).

They have more than 2 millions members (webmasters)

Talk to them. They will listen and might help you promoting it.
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 03:48 PM   #34
funtoon

Thanks maddeningcrowds for pointing the error, I have just uploaded a new version of antiadbuster 1.5-S fixed that error and did some tweaks.

Gallery thanks for the bravenet link I will look at it
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 08:01 PM   #35
teckel

Quote:
Originally posted by lmergen
What about pop-up blockers? Are they included?
Not with AntiAdBuster but I've designed an anti ad blocker that not only detects proxy-type ad blockers like AntiAdBuster but also popup closers, blocking JavaScript, and session cookies (both of which are needed for ads to work correctly). You would be surprised how many people block ads. You can see it in action here:

http://www.arcadeathome.com/dl.phtml?apps/mame060b.zip|

I've tried the 30+ most popular banner ad and popup ad blockers and my script blocks all of them. Sure, there's ways to get around it, but 90% of people won't bother. They will either turn off the ad blocker or leave (which is the intent of an anti ad blocker). My script also keeps detailed logs and logs what kind of ad blocker the user is using. I can provide stats on what my findings are if anyone is interested.

As for releasing my script, I'm considering it. I'd like to sock it to the ad blockers and make the script freely available. But I fear that the ad blocker scripts will then discover work-arounds that I'll constantly have to address. Not sure if there's a market to sell it either. Also, I like just using it for my own sites because then there won't be any ad blocking programs that will program in work-arounds.

Maybe people here could help me make my decision.

Tim

Last edited by teckel; 05-14-2002 at 08:02 PM.
teckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 12:14 AM   #36
funtoon

Welcome to geekvillage Tim!

Well eventually ad-blocking companies will have a work around, you cant expect your software to work all the time, it is going to be something like anti-virus software, there are always going to be new virus that are going to be a threat you just update your anti-virus software.

I know that they will crack the code some day, I am devoting considerable time working everyday on other option to keep antiadbuster updated so that when ad-blocking companies get a workaround I release a new version, it is like a cat and mouse game!

I think we have a upper hand I guess, if ad-blocking companies find a way around to the existing version also we can update our scripts again, ad-blocking companies have to distribute there updated version to thousands of users, which will take time and many users don’t like updating there software's, on the other hand webmasters can update there scripts very quickly.

The only problem I guess here is how dedicated you are and how much time you are willing to spend on your software, bcoz from a couple of weeks I am working so much on antiadbuster that my other sites are getting affected!
Old 05-15-2002, 10:33 AM   #37
darnell

funtoon - I don't think you need to worry about the time spent on antiadbuster, because it will be a good money maker for you once you start selling a pro version...hint...hint .

Also, there are WAY MORE of us webmasters that dislike ad blockers than those that work towards the ad-blocking effort. Darn-it, we are smarter faster and just plain better . So don't worry team, we will always be ahead in this game. The world needs our sites, they don't need to block the ads. So the ad-blocking companies will lose.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 05:06 PM   #38
drall

Default heya

heya funtoon, ran it 100% for two full days, bout 200k impressions so i hope that helps some, i will continue to run it thru the month at 50%, ask around see if someone can get ahold of a sharper 120, dunno im sure there is some graphics peeps here that wouldnt mind helping out as well.
drall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 05:27 PM   #39
funtoon

Thumbs up Thanks a lot

Hi Drayll putting up the link of antiadbuster on www.networkingfiles.com is helping the project a lot

I will work on creating some new banners, Well I am not that gr8 with graphics these days anyways I will build some creatives.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:24 PM   #40
dRD

funtoon: I'm 95% finished making ColdFusion version of the blocker, I'll test it tomorrow/Friday and probably send it to you by weekend (as using Apache w/ CF you can't use SSI's as CFM files are directed directly to CF module without using Apache in between at all).

EDIT:

By 95% I mean that now the banned/approved user agents are recognized and blocked if necessary. The JS blocking blocking is not implemented yet as I hate to add redirecting JS to my own site even for good reason. Anyway, as said, I'll finish it and send you the copy.

Last edited by dRD; 05-15-2002 at 06:26 PM.
dRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 12:26 AM   #41
funtoon

Thumbs up Cold Fusion

dRD that would be reall cool a Cold Fusion ver!

You can mail me directly at antiadbuster@phpbuddy.com I was planning to do some tweaks, on the upcomming ver of antiadbuster and you could do the same with Cold fusion ver.

Last edited by funtoon; 05-16-2002 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:04 AM   #42
gallery

Hi Teckel,

Welcome to the forum !

"My script also keeps detailed logs and logs what kind of ad blocker the user is using. I can provide stats on what my findings are if anyone is interested. "

Yes post your stats here, I'm very interested (I'm sure others too) to know what's the percentage of visitors using ad blockers and which ad blocker they are using.

thanks
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 08:09 AM   #43
Fromage

It seems like most of you are using advertising.com or another third party server for ads. It's too easy to add hosts-file to windows folder and block most common addresses. This is quite common way to block ads.

Of course this doesn't work if your banners are on the same server than your site.

Last edited by Fromage; 05-16-2002 at 08:12 AM.
Fromage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:33 AM   #44
WildComputer

Quote:
Of course this doesn't work if your banners are on the same server than your site.
I wonder if it would be a good idea to occassionally serve some banners (e.g. affiliate ads where permitted or house ads etc) from your own site. If you know every (say) 10th banner is from your site - you should be able to detect if they loaded the graphic from your site - and hence if the person gets to (say) 11 page views without loading one of our on site banners, you know.

You could even set a cookie (or detect the absence of a cookie which says "I'm okay") or record their IP so when they come back you start including the test banners and if necessary lock them out sooner
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:58 AM   #45
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by teckel

Not with AntiAdBuster but I've designed an anti ad blocker that not only detects proxy-type ad blockers like AntiAdBuster but also popup closers, blocking JavaScript, and session cookies (both of which are needed for ads to work correctly). You would be surprised how many people block ads. You can see it in action here:

http://www.arcadeathome.com/dl.phtml?apps/mame060b.zip|

I've tried the 30+ most popular banner ad and popup ad blockers and my script blocks all of them. Sure, there's ways to get around it, but 90% of people won't bother. They will either turn off the ad blocker or leave (which is the intent of an anti ad blocker). My script also keeps detailed logs and logs what kind of ad blocker the user is using. I can provide stats on what my findings are if anyone is interested.

As for releasing my script, I'm considering it. I'd like to sock it to the ad blockers and make the script freely available. But I fear that the ad blocker scripts will then discover work-arounds that I'll constantly have to address. Not sure if there's a market to sell it either. Also, I like just using it for my own sites because then there won't be any ad blocking programs that will program in work-arounds.

Maybe people here could help me make my decision.

Tim
yup welcome Teckel/Tim

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote