Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2001, 04:46 PM   #31
xuniverse
Member.

Default been toying with this idea...

would we be able to setup a booth @ like a mall or a street corner with internet connection... and sell the phones there? I think i might do a full flegged campaign for these guys... cuz cell phones are getting BIG... Some magazine stated that 95% of teenage girls in japan have cell phones .. or some number like that.

Right now im sending 500 hits/day to:

http://www.somespot.com/click_here_f...ell_phone.html
its been 12 hours and ive had 15 clicks... no sales... <not to worry> i was making only $2/day on those 500 hits.. so even if i made 1 sale every few days.. id be getting much more money.

ALSO: I really think my little booth idea could go somewhere... if you just bought all 3 of those cell phones (to show them off @ the booth) and a laptop and wireless internet connection..... you could make some money ! Maybe like $37 - $74/hour.... Probly even more!

Email me if youd like to toy around with this idea

aaronsmagic@home.com
xuniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 05:31 PM   #32
Guava

xuniverse, you'd probably make more money just becoming a reseller of the services directly with the company. You'd become an authorized Verizon or AT&T reseller. Then again the fees to become authorized might be more difficult/expensive than your booth idea.
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 05:39 PM   #33
xuniverse
Member.

guava:

thats the whole reason i thought about using clickhereforcellphones rather than being a private reseller... because its free if i just use chfcp rather than doing all the work to do it privatly. plus i dont have to worry bout other companies paying and what not.. as SI is very trustworthy.
Old 07-25-2001, 06:12 PM   #34
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

xUniverse,

We plan to begin marketing to the real world in about 3 months. One of the things we plan on doing is getting the mall kiosks around Christmas time.

We can get you "dummy" phones of all the models we carry if you want to sell in the real world. Also, real world conversion rates are much, much better. Usually 1:2. People who know they have poor credit don't usually bother signing up. It's embarassing I guess.

It's a bit tricky becoming authorized by the carriers for web sales. I'd say we invested about $400k in total so far. You need to offer support to the customers who buy phones and have problems. And about 50% of the customers call us asking questions about the phones or the service.

If you have a small, but loyal, following of surfers it may be a good idea to make a small page up explaining how good the offer is in your own language. Send them to Motorola's page where they sell the same phone for $129.99 that you're giving away.

A personal note from the webmaster saying that "MySite.com has made a special deal for our surfers, for a limited time you can get a free cell phone yadda, yadda, yadda" could go a long way in click to application conversions.
Old 07-25-2001, 06:18 PM   #35
xuniverse
Member.

rob:

actually for my old xbox site.. i did a big email about that for preordering Xbox's... within 1 week the company that did the preorders got $15,000 from my members.... Followers follow.

Im very interested in getting ahold of these fake phones... are you able to hook me up? please email me at: aaronsmagic@home.com ... im interested in getting a couple friends together to do the dirty work @ malls for me.... i think that this could be very profitable as there are no expenses for me/any other person interested.
Old 07-25-2001, 06:30 PM   #36
Robert from SI

xuniverse,

I'll pass your info on to tom@standardinternet.com

He's the cell phone guru. I am merely a pawn in the cell phone game of life.......
Old 07-25-2001, 06:40 PM   #37
xuniverse
Member.

gracias.

yes: id be interested in know how many clicks jjay... thanks

Last edited by xuniverse; 07-25-2001 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2001, 07:02 PM   #38
JJJay

Default Re: Re: clickhereforcellphones.com

Quote:
Originally posted by AztecSummer

Do Tell! what your click-thru to filled application ratio is/was, for those five? Color Me Curious!

Congrats on your 1st sale!
AztecSummer I can't be 100% sure of the clickthrough to conversion ratio as I used a mixture of popups, banners and text links, my stats say I sent 4500 clickthroughs, I reckon 1500 were from popups.

So I would say the clickthrough to application ratio was about 600 : 1. I am however going to take Roberts advice and create a page on my website which explains the offer and why people would be crazy not to snap up the free cell phone offer I hope the applications from this new statergy overwhelm SI

Last edited by JJJay; 07-25-2001 at 07:04 PM.
JJJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 11:30 PM   #39
demae

Isn't that conversion ratio kind of low? 600 clickthroughs to get 1 filled out application, and 4 filled out applications to get one sale.

You'd be making 1.5 cents per click sending traffic from a non-targeted website.
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 02:58 AM   #40
xuniverse
Member.

im seeing totally different outcome:

150 clicks... 4 signups... <today> unkown amount of acceptances...

about how long does it take to make it into a sale? 24 hours??? 12 hours???

If i get @ least %25 ratio for sales.. then im going to be doing full flegged advertising of this.. this could be a real money maker!
Old 07-26-2001, 07:00 AM   #41
WildComputer

Default Suggestion

Congratulations on your new program Robert

I have a suggestion, re: tracking clicks

Why not put code in to track which types of affiliate clicks lead to a sale

Say normally I linked to

http://www.somethingsomething.com/tr...d=wildcomputer

presumably this would tell me something like i sent say 5000 clicks and got 12 sales

if there was a way to link with an extra optional parameter with a campaign number (which i could pick any number i wanted or something), i could link to

http://www.somethingsomething.com/tr...ter&campaign=1
and
http://www.somethingsomething.com/tr...ter&campaign=2
etc

i could then link my banners/text ads/etc. with different campaign ids and find out the performance of each

For example -

1 might be my first attempt at a sales letter
2 might be my 2nd attempt
3 might be my 3rd attempt
etc.

This would allow affiliates to find the most effective sales letter, banner, etc. for them in terms of sales
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 07:33 AM   #42
Robert from SI

Sunil,

We may do exactly that. I believe we already have the capability of tracking 3 diferent types of clicks from each affiliate.

This is our first time using this software. Since we do not have the fraud issues to contend with that we are accustomed to it was a much faster and simpler solution.
Old 07-26-2001, 09:57 AM   #43
Robert from SI

Damae,

We had a meeting this morning and we decided that we will allow sites in languages other than english to advertise the program on a case by case basis.

Essentially we will review the site and the way the offer is promoted (to assure that there is no fraud).

The terms will be adjusted to reflect this.

We appreciate your input on the matter.

We are also going to test moving all personal info (except area code, county and email) to the last page of the form.
Old 07-27-2001, 04:25 AM   #44
chadw1
Member.

>>-Commission is $37.00 for each free phone sold

Sounds like theres a catch...How do you sell a free phone?
chadw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 06:07 AM   #45
Czar

Webmaster

Chad, if you refer to comments made earlier in this thread, you will find that what the affiliate is actually 'selling' is not the phone, as such, but the calling plan.

The free phone is a hook to attract potential clients to the contracts on offer.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote