Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Development - Programming / Coding
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2001, 08:01 AM   #1
orfeo

Default Data keeps reseting

Hello everyone.

I have written a script to rate pictures. The think is that the data after a couple of months and a total of 20.000 just resetted. I opened the data file and it was as if someone emptied it completely and the program tried to write again rates. I include a small portion of the code that actually re-writes the data file. The process I follow is the following

1. get the rate from Env query
2. read data file.
3. add the rate to the points of the particular image
4. calculate average
5. print to data file the new data using this code :
@rates[$number]=$number.":".$votes.":".$points.":".$average."\n";

#open picture database for writing
open PHOTODATA, ">$data" or die "Can't open database for writing: $picturedata";
flock(PHOTODATA, LOCK_EX);
print PHOTODATA @rates;
close PHOTODATA;

I know code is sluppy but I am trying.
I would appreciate any help. You can see the script working in the site of the signature.
orfeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 12:37 PM   #2
theDirtiest

do you know if the server had any problems around the time you noticed this? maybe during the middle of the script something happened? I don't know exactly what may have happened, but if that data is important (which it obviosly is since you posted this) you should back up the file periodically with a crontab. That way if this happens again you can have all the data back up to the point of you last update.
theDirtiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 06:20 AM   #3
orfeo

I don't how to do that with crontab but I'll check it out.

What you say sounds interesting. If the server has a problem while I write the file, it will be resetted or cut ?

Is there a way to defend using code? Some kind of safe way? I thought of writting a backup file everytime but I don't like it much.

Anyone thinks my code is to blame?
orfeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 08:59 AM   #4
theDirtiest

The data could reset or cut off, really depends.

Crontabs are pretty really easy to write. Either telnet or ssh into your server. type "crontab -e" at the command prompt to get into the crontab (this will allow you to edit your crontab in vi). This is where you tell your server when and what script to run. I do not feel like typing out all the instructions for crontabs (sorry I am lazy), but here are some good links to help you learn.

http://www.superscripts.com/tutorial/crontab.html
http://www.nerc-online.com/support/www/crontab.html

To make a backups, simply tell the crontab when to run, and have the script that runs make backups.

-jeff
theDirtiest is offline   Reply With Quote