Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default New Google AdWords Rules

Let me make it clear that this is a rumor. Word about it started a few days ago and more and more are starting to believe it is true. Google hasn't said anything official about it yet.

If this turns out to be true it could possibly have an impact on AdSense as well as AdWords.

The information is below for you to read. Again, Google hasn't yet made a public official statement. It is a rumor based upon information that is said to have been leaked. But various dates have been stated for when this will start. Some indicate right away and some indicate towards the middle or end of next week.

But, people should be aware of it, just in case.
--------------------------------------------------

New Google AdWords Affiliate Rules Start Today
Posted on: 2005-01-06 13:06:35

Rumours On The Interweb

It's spreading across the webmaster forums like wildfire. Today is the day that the new Google Adwords advertising rules begin for affiliates.

Currently if you search on Google for cats, for example, you only get a few relevant ads on the right hand side for your search. The rest are multiple affiliates bidding for the keyword "cats" mainly for eBay, Pricerunner and Kelkoo websites. It's pretty much junk as there is really no need to see 3-4 eBay ads for the same search.

With the new rules, only one affiliate (with the highest bid we presume) can advertise for eBay, for example, instead of 5-10 people all trying to get you to visit the exact same eBay website with their own ad copy.

Many Google Adsense users are worried about the changes in case they begin to lose money by the lower amount of affiliates advertising - but I think it will eventually be a beneficial move as most of these eBay, Pricerunner etc ads have very low cost-per-click rates and offer a poor return.

More as this story develops.

Printed from Boost Marketing - (http://www.boostmarketing.com/story.php?id=386)

Last edited by Larwee; 01-06-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:58 PM   #2
Jack
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

This is now official. Here's the letter from AdWords:

Quote:
Hello from the Google AdWords Team:

In January 2005, Google will incorporate a new affiliate advertising policy that is designed to provide a better user and advertiser experience.

What is changing:

With this new affiliate policy, we'll only display one ad per search query for affiliates and parent companies sharing the same URL. This way, users will have a more diverse sampling of advertisements to choose from. As always, your ad will be displayed based on its Ad Rank for given searches, which is determined by a combination of your ad's maximum cost-per-click (price) and clickthrough rate (performance).

For instance, if a user searches for books on Google.com or anywhere on the Google search and content networks, Google will take an inventory of ads running for the keyword books. If we find that two or more ads compete under the same URL, we'll display the ad with the highest Ad Rank.

How this will affect you:

If you're an affiliate, this means that you no longer need to identify yourself as an affiliate in your ad text. However, your current ad text will continue to display your affiliate status until you change it.

Affiliates or advertisers using unique URLs in their ads will not be affected by this change. Please note that your Display URL must match the URL of your landing page, and you may not simply frame another site.

What you should do:

We recommend that you continue to monitor your ads' performance and optimize your ads as needed to ensure they're bringing you the best results. Please visit our Optimization Tips page for more information.

By improving our ad relevancy, we believe that users will have a better search experience, which will help you reach more potential clients in the future. We'll continue to make improvements to AdWords over time to further improve the user experience and help increase the performance of your ads.

We look forward to continue providing you with the most effective advertising available.

Sincerely,
The Google AdWords Team
There is no set date for this change yet (other than sometime in January 2005). However, I have heard it could go in as early as next week.

If you currently promote affiliate links through Google Adwords, here are my steps for what you must do:

1) Keep up to date on when this change will go in. There is currently no set date other than sometime in January 2005.

2) Work hard to set up landing pages on your own domains. This change will not affect landing pages (as long as the landing pages are not simply framed pages or just redirect to the merchant).

3) When the date finally arrives, go through all of your listings and remove the 'Aff' text. These little addons appear ugly and out of place on most listing. Now they are no longer necessary, so make sure you get rid of yours.

This change is simliar to when Overture (then Goto.com) changed their rules requiring affiliates to have substancial content to bid (though this change is not quite as strict as Overture's). If you are an affiliate advertising in Adwords, I would be sure to make landing pages and not to rely on having the highest bid.

Personally, I don't believe this addresses the real problem in Google Adwords: People bidding on every term under the sun to promote certain programs like eBay. Now, you will just see one listing for these many times irrelevant keywords instead of a couple.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
jokearound

well, this isnt quite what was reported earlier...noone is being stopped from bidding on any term (even if there are 100 advertising ebay) - google will just display one at a time (the highest paying / ad rank at the time)
Old 01-09-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Lightbulb

First of all, thanks for the thread and the quality content.

Second, did you carefully read exactly what G said? Please read it again and respectfully pretend that "you" are trying to "game" the system which really means you are trying to figure out a way to continue to insert tons of listings on the same term which lead to the same domain!

I don't drive trucks but G left enough room in this poorly drafted email to not only encourage folks to continue to game the system but drive a huge truck through the opening.

I have a pending ticket with G on this issue. It continues to amaze me that the largest player in the affiliate space and contextual advertising space drafts stuff that does not anticipate what other folks will do.

Witness the selling of Gmail account invites on ebay and other places! Thats just one!

Old 01-10-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
t1 rocky

Wink i like the change!

I like the change - Good for google!
Old 01-18-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
firstmark

An affilate can just have the clickthru url refer to a page on their domain first and then to the affiliate site page from there I would think
What good affiliate can not create a better selling page for a specific product than a large merchant site anyway?