Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2003, 07:38 PM   #16
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

:::If memory serves me, a SEO guy did a test and made $8900 in commish after spending $8000 of it on google. I wonder if the $900 profit was worth the work?

The least you can bid is five cents, so it is still possible to make money from PPC, since there are ones out there that still let you bid at a penny. When I do PPC I always bid a penny. You just need a ton of search terms to get a lot of clicks!!

Yes, it would be a BIG pain if Amazon dumped the program!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 07:58 PM   #17
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Sheesh! If I knew this thread was gonna be 'stickied' I would've tried harder to sound articulate in my original post.

Nintendo, your circumstances with Amazon are very different from mine. Heck, if I was having your results with Amazon I'd have no desire to find a replacement for them...unless I thought I could do better elsewhere. It works for you, for a number of reasons, but it's not working for me. And my experience is more representative of the bulk of Amazon's affiliates than yours simply because most of us can't produce (or don't know how to produce) at your level. You've done a spectacular job with them and there's no reason for you to leave as long as things go well for you. But I'm curious if you're concerned about how Google adwords placement on Amazon product pages might affect your commissions?

I had a bad feeling that Amazon's affiliate program was rolling downhill from the first of this year, but I thought I'd give them time to work out the issues. Instead of working them out the problems have grown worse each month. No regrets...I had a good run with them. They were my first affiliate program and paid the hosting bills for a while.

Timo (tim-o, not tee-mo or tie-mo) I suspect that the affiliate managers at Amazon are counting on the affiliates being either, 1) too lazy to pull their links, 2) too naive to realize they're being used as cannon fodder, 3) utterly unaware of what's going on. With 900,000+ affiliates they can probably afford a good bit of attrition of mid-level producers like us. (If you list biography vids, give A&E on CJ a whirl.)

The other thing I'd like to mention is how I feel, as a consumer, about the carnival atmosphere of Amazon's product pages. There are so many links to different things that it's extremely distracting. It makes browsing difficult and I think it's going to backfire on them. My guess is that sometime last year they hired a new VP of something-or-other who's been demonstrating his or her usefulness by throwing a zillion ideas into the pot. All it's done, IMHO, is raise the noise to signal ratio. But then I'm a K-I-S-S kind of gal.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:13 PM   #18
Timo

Rhea:

tim-o will do Yep, but I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of unhappy AZ associates down the road. I think AZ is relying on a combination of dependency of 10,000 sites or so, and the 890,000 affiliates that havent a clue. Unfortunately for AZ they dont realize that us mid level producers are the big bad boys (and gals of course )on the block tomorrow.

Its too bad for AZ that I work from home so I have time to spend yanking links.

I believe that amazon is starting to look too clutered as well. When you land on a page, the shopper gets distracted then ends up forgetting why they went there is the first place. It is starting to look like a grocery store flyer.

--> evil thought.... just imagine when AZ runs out of things to put on easy links and runs google text/banner ads as a default LOL. Google is paying between .50 and 1.00 to the networks for above the scroll. Even paying $.10 CPM below the scroll they could make their commission payouts back in a day. This would fall within their easylink text requirements too.

Nintendo:

I would imagine that AZ is going to make back some good money from google with your traffic. You mentioned before that you have a .07% conversion rate (but mounds of traffic). If just 1% of your AZ traffic clicks on 1 google ad around xmas (big CPC payments) I think they will make that bonus back they offered you I doubt it will affect your sales too much, but since you are a top earner you should tell AZ you want a cut of the Google$$$ generated from your traffic.

Quote:
Nintendo, your circumstances with Amazon are very different from mine. Heck, if I was having your results with Amazon I'd have no desire to find a replacement for them.

Neither would I for my existing sites since that is nice cashflow, but I would be looking at developing websites for older males to get higher conversion rates and I would make a point of NOT using AZ. Look at what is happening to those sites that relied 100% on pop ups and unders!! One marketing move by a relatively insigificant ISP (earthlink) to include pop blockers and now the entire industry is moving to adopt the same tactic to protect their marketshare. Some sites are in serious trouble due to this over-reliance.

OT On a funny note: I noticed that the new alexa toolbar (with pop up blocker) blocks the country redirect pop up on the amazon.com home page.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:18 AM   #19
Nintendo

:::But I'm curious if you're concerned about how Google adwords placement on Amazon product pages might affect your commissions?

Is it up right now?? It doesn't show up for me. I'm not worried very much about it right now. I don't think they would try to do anything that would lower the nomber of orders that they get.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:08 AM   #20
jnestor

There's one thing to consider when you're replacing Amazon with another program. Consumers know and trust Amazon and are more likely to buy there than at some site they've never heard of. I've been around the internet for a long time and think that most of the security worries are way overhyped but I'm still MUCH more likely to by a product from Amazon than some site I've never heard of.

If I visit your site and you're promoting a DVD that sounds really interesting and I click on it and it takes me to Joe's DVD Shack, I'm going to type in Amazon.com on my own and see if they have it too and at a similar price. Joe's DVD Shack would have to have it either MUCH cheaper or Amazon to not have it for me to buy it there. Joe's may pay 10% commission but you made $0 from me where you could have made money if it were an Amazon link.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:06 AM   #21
Timo

Jnestor: Agreed. Thats why I say test test test. Some merchants convert just as well as Amazon, some better, some worse. In Nintendos case you dont mess with whats working, just look into expanding into other areas with other sites. He is making good cash from AZ and is to be commended, but dependency upon one or two suppliers is a serious threat to any business.

For me, If I see a drop of 30-35% in my conversion rate with B&N I will still break even because I wont be selling flea market quality books for $.20. I have tested and my users dont seem to mind shopping at B&N. If I see a huge drop in sales its no big deal to add amazon back in at a later point.

What I think amazon fails to understand is that when my user leaves my site to go to amazon, they are MY user NOT theirs until they make a purchase. If they want to make some money along the way, fine but PAY me for it.

end of my rant
Old 04-18-2003, 02:30 PM   #22
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

I've periodically checked that Ab Fab video product page that I first spotted Google adwords on.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000056WJZ/

Haven't seen the adwords again but now there's an ad for BBC America (an Amazon partner that does *not* qualify for the affiliate program).

Quote:
The Best of the Beeb
The sharpest miniseries, the most lifelike documentaries, and off-the-wall series in our BBC Store.
Click the link and you end up here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...f=v_wa_bbc_ec/

Once again, Amazon takes their cut and eliminates the hardship of having to pay the affiliate. No wonder the affiliate program is in a shambles.

What's with all the new ref= tags? One interestinging one I picked up today was ref=pd_ecc_rvi_f
Old 04-18-2003, 06:07 PM   #23
Nintendo

:::Once again, Amazon takes their cut and eliminates the hardship of having to pay the affiliate.

It looks like you do get commission for those items. They all have the ASIN number.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:50 PM   #24
Rhea

Hey, Nintendo! Okay, I'm confused again. I thought that the FAQ spelled out which Amazon partners were eligible for affiliate commissions and any that weren't listed were ineligible. Where does it say that if an ASIN number is listed that means it's affiliate eligible? I don't remember seeing that anywhere but it's been a while since I read the terms.

Could you try to get Amazon to provide some clarification on this? (They like you almost as much as Google does!)

How do you get that upside-down exclamation mark?
Old 04-18-2003, 06:54 PM   #25
Nintendo

I don't know of any ASIN item that you don't make atleast the marketplace price.

:::How do you get that upside-down exclamation mark?

!!!!   !!!!!

Option + 1=     
Old 04-18-2003, 06:58 PM   #26
Rhea

I ain't got no stinking option key!!!!!

!!!!iiii!!!!

I'll just have to settle for that.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:29 PM   #27
Nintendo

So far I've got credit for every kind of item that I've linked to plus kinds of stuff that I don't link to, from video games, to magazines, to cell phones, to cloths, to movies, to books, to tools, to kitchen stuff, to toys, to........
Old 04-20-2003, 01:28 PM   #28
Timo

Thumbs down

Hi Folks,

I found google adwords on the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5) at amazon.com. Since not everyone seems to get the timing, to see it I thought I would copy the whole page and paste it here:

btw

I noticed that the google adwords are geotargeted (2 Cdn ), and that the top 2 were for amazon.ca (affiliates)

There is the ref=ts_bh_1_1 in the url

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=283155

Here is how its is laid out:

see larger photo
List Price: $29.99
Price: $17.99
You Save: $12.00 (40%)
Availability: This title will be released on Saturday, June 21, 2003.
Shipping Options:

Select Standard Shipping to receive your order on the release date of Saturday, June 21. See details.

Select FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25 and you will receive your order after the release date of Saturday, June 21. See details.

Reading level: Ages 9-12
Edition: Hardcover | All Editions

See more product details

Also available in a deluxe collector's edition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best Value

Buy Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5) and get The Thief Lord at an additional 5% off Amazon.com's everyday low price.
Total List Price: $46.94
Buy Together Today: $29.27
You Save: $17.67

Click here for promotion rules

Customers who bought this book also bought:

Harry Potter Schoolbooks Box Set: Two Classic Books from the Library of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover)
Harry Potter Hardcover Box Set (Books 1-4) by J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPr (Illustrator) (Hardcover)
Books from The Harry Potter Series.
The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter by Allan Zola Kronzek, Elizabeth Kronzek (Paperback)
The King of Torts [LARGE PRINT] by John Grisham (Hardcover)
Explore Similar Items: 20 in DVD, 20 in Computer & Video Games, and 19 in Music
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Details

Hardcover: 896 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Trade; (June 21, 2003)
ISBN: 043935806X
Amazon.com Sales Rank: 1

This is the 5th item in The Harry Potter Series.

Customers interested in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5) may also be interested in:
Sponsored Links (What's this?)

Harry Potter Book 5
Coming June 21 - CDN$ 25.80 Preorder it now! - affiliate
www.amazon.ca

Amazon Canada Books
Free shipping on orders over $39 Affil.
www.amazon.ca

Find a Book - eBay Canada
25000 books! Rarities, 1st editions Great prices, from $1. Affiliate.
www.eBay.ca

Editorial Reviews
Book Description
The next volume in the thrilling, moving, bestselling Harry Potter series........

Last edited by Timo; 04-20-2003 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:06 PM   #29
Rhea

One more thing that dawned on me this week is that having a Google search box on my sites is the equivalent of affiliate self-mutilation.

The scenario: I put a Google search box on my sites, which lets visitors search within Google, potentially for products I'm promoting on my very own sites. The visitor clicks on a link that takes them to Amazon who then ships them off to a third-party program from whom they buy the products I'm promoting!!! Makes no sense at all.

Sheesh. In the last few months I've eradicated Alexa, Amazon and Google from my sites. Who else are these guys shacked up with? Does anyone else smell anti-trust?
Old 04-28-2003, 09:07 AM   #30
joma

>> Does anyone else smell anti-trust?

No. Simply being big and successful does not create a monopoly or oligopoly.