Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2003, 02:04 PM   #1
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow War Media Coverage - Shame On You!

<Please note: If I mention your country in this post it is not meant to denagrate/flame you. None of us set policy for a given country/state so please please don't flip this to an attack on you. >

I have a love/hate relationship with the media coverage of the war.

I love the raw video that captures the brave members of the coalition engaged in fire-fights. My sisters and brothers shedding blood on the battle field will hopefully improve our perception of the services. David Bloom and other embeds will be missed. RIP.

The TV media has presented "war" like many of you have never seen. Some of these images bring tears to my eyes and flashbacks to another era. Some of the images of the Iraqui people who are suffering, injured, or dead will burn in my memory and help all of us understand the negative implications of war.

On the other hand, some of the actions of the media are deplorable. Did anyone in the media ever read any history books about war? WWII lasted 6 years for heavens sake! Not to mention the air time they provide to many folks who lack knowledge, reason, and only want to promote their own agenda for self serving reasons.

My short list of deplorable folks (Please excuse the spelling):

- Jane Fonda
- Ed Asner
- 5 Star Cornell you name it. Currently embeded in the studio second guessing without facts
- Anchors who paint stories for ratings using inflamatory words and continue to harp on the time line.
- Hiraldo Rivera
- Nancy Pelosi (Politico)
- Bob Arnett
- The Presidents/Head Honcho of France, Germany, and Russia
- War Protesters who call the brave women and men of the coalition (not the decision makers) "killers"

Don't worry, I also watch BBC TV whenever I can and frankly this media is no better.

And you?

</end_vent>

Last edited by Steve_S; 04-13-2003 at 02:14 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
Scuba

Default When the media take sides.......

On FOX & SKY It's "OUR" forces.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 05:51 PM   #3
njpete

I must say i like the way Fox News is covering this war

I switched over to CNN for a little bit and the coverage was just so opinionated which i don't like, i just want the facts presented to me so i can make up my own mind.

Although i think Geraldo should have been suspended for giving out info he knew he shouldn't
njpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 07:19 PM   #4
sdarken

With all due respect, if you are going to put "The Presidents/Head Honcho of France, Germany, and Russia " on your list you may as well add pretty much every other politician and government representative who has appeared in any of the press conferences or military briefings. All politicians use the media to spin stories the way they want them to be portrayed. For example, the pentagon doesn't hold press briefings to give you statistics on how many civilians have been killed or how many families of Iraqi solders are morning a death. Donald Rumsfeld often refuses to adress any questions about issues that reflect negatively on the campaign - dismissing the subjects as irrelevant or unimportant.

That having been said, my least favorite media moment has been with one of those retired miliary people on CNN who was asked to discuss a lull in the campaign. His response was that the lull was "like the time that a butcher spends sharpening his knife before cutting a piece of meat".
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 07:45 PM   #5
Jarusa

I have absorbed a LOT of the war coverage. From the extremes of Fox News to Al Jazeera. I have also watched and read coverage from countries such as the United States, United Kingdom, Russia, Australia and the Arab media. Throughout this time I have been a bit of a 'flicker'. Going from one to the next all the time. If you broaden your view by reading and viewing as much as possible it is much easier to sort through the bullpoop.

It's like that experiment where you paint a circle of paper with all the primary colours. When you spin it fast all the colours dissapear and the circle appears white. Likewise when you broaden your exposure you can somehow gravitate in your mind what might actually be happening.

I personally have not been dissapointed by the media coverage of the war. However, when your expectations are low to begin with
Jarusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 09:40 PM   #6
Steve_S

<With all due respect, if you are going to put "The Presidents/Head Honcho of France, Germany, and Russia " on your list you may as well add pretty much every other politician and government representative who has appeared in any of the press conferences or military briefings. All politicians use the media to spin stories the way they want them to be portrayed. >

Actually I agree 100% BUT IMHO the three countries deserve special recognition because they didn't just object/sustain to the war via the UN but they actively lobied against it with no room for concessions and no motivation/speak to reach middle ground.

So this gang of 3 has billons of dollars of "deals" with "I" and in the case of Russia, lot's of news about helping "I" snoop, train, and embolden them. Some of these deals remind me of affiliate programs on the net.

Edit: I really don't have a problem with a country like Canada not sending troops inspite of the fact we share a border and have strong trade relations. An important distinction between Canada and the gang of 3 since I think Canada has remained civil, polite, respectfull, and doesnt have any billon dollar deals with "I" THey will have their chance to help if they are so inclined via "relief" packages.

The notion that Russia is going to "demand" anything via the UN and or weapons inspectors makes what little hair I have left on my head stand up.

All 3 are still our allies but the money and deciet trail should be very very interesting to follow. Next is Syria which I forget to mention as deserving of special recognition. I pray and hope "they get the hint" and don't harbor and support the war criminals.

Fox News: My fav guy is that Rick ? guy embed who has a very relaxed manner and a great rapor with my beloved "grunts" What a fantastic morale booster for these brave 20 something kids.

Last edited by Steve_S; 04-13-2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:10 PM   #7
brian 2468

I've been taking the war in with many different news stations. Like news papers I'm sure there editor's have certain political views. Everynight I end up back on my computer listerning to the BBC online. and still believe they cut it as close as halfway as a country can being in a war.
brian 2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:36 PM   #8
sdarken

You're suggesting that France, Germany and Russia were only opposed to the war because of economic ties. Last time I checked, there were approximately 193 countries in the world. Only 30 countries showed up on the U.S goverment's "Coalition of the Willing" just before the war started. Apparently 160 other countries (apart from the 3 you mentioned) were not convinced that the U.S had made their case for war.

IMO, The US Government played on the fears resulting from 9/11 to convince people that Saddam posed an imminent security threat to the US and had to be disarmed. The intelligence information on which this was based is apparently so weak that no weapons have been uncovered. It seems unlikely that even if (or when) some are found, there will ever be sufficient proof of a real threat to the U.S. Makes me wonder what the real reasons for this war. You don't suppose they could be economic do you?

Taking the thread even more off topic...
Here is an interesting page I just came across. From a site called the National Security Archive. (I can't tell how credible the site is) It has a long discussion about the U.S relationship with Saddam through the early and mid eighties when he was known to be using chemical weapons. There is even a nice photo and video of Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam in December 1983.
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/

Last edited by sdarken; 04-13-2003 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:33 AM   #9
Scuba

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_S
Next is Syria which I forget to mention as deserving of special recognition. I pray and hope "they get the hint" and don't harbor and support the war criminals.
Actually I hope that Syria will harbor war criminals, as I very much think that they deserve the same as Iraq, (If not more).
It's no secret that they support terror and among the world largest drags producers (together with lebanon which they control).
It's also no secret that they have lot's of Skud missiles, as well as Frog's and some more long range stuff, all capble of launching mass destruction wapons, which they posses (and don't even deny that they posses them).
Apperantly the fact that Syria's current leader is a doctor (MD) and went to Uni in England has not helped him see the light in the fact that the solution is not in war.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:08 PM   #10
Steve_S

<You're suggesting that France, Germany and Russia were only opposed to the war because of economic ties. >

No sir. Nor did I use the word "only". Nor did I infer this

As to evidence of weapons of mass destruction, this takes time so folks will just have to try and be patient. The war is only a few weeks old, Iraq is a large country, and from what I hear their are thousands of possible sites and the lab work required to reach a final conclusion takes weeks as opposed to hours. A lot of folks in the media wan't instant answers but "War" is not condusive to instant answers. My sence is this: they will find these weapons, some of the media will be skeptical which is good, and in some countries/media they won't believe it regardless of the evidence. Their mind is already made up.

As to the intelligence information released to the media by Bush, Rumsfield, Powell and others in an effort to "sell/justify" going to war: The media and others would love to see and report every juicy detail of the secret intelligence reports, compramize special ops, CIA, FBI and others. I for one think that some details should never be released and some folks have "trust" and others don't. Not to mention the fact that you help/embolden the enemy and put the brave women and men at significant risk when you release some of this stuff.

Since Coronado and the Seals are 20 minutes from where I live, I admit to a high degree of bias on this issue.

<horah!>

Old 04-14-2003, 01:55 PM   #11
Kathy

Quote:
Fox News: My fav guy is that Rick ? guy embed who has a very relaxed manner and a great rapor with my beloved "grunts" What a fantastic morale booster for these brave 20 something kids.

Rick Leventhal. I like him too. I also like Greg Kelly and his night scope vision video feed in the middle of the night as his tank was creeping along the desert towards Baghdad.

I have more to add to your list:
Shame on these celebrities....
Martin Sheen
Michael Morrison
Cher

The list is endless of the amount of press provided to these celebrities with their high school degrees without the privileges of the daily intelligence reports to back up their "opinions".

And those demonstrators who have every right to speak up...but do not have the right to block traffic, tying up ambulances from getting to hospitals and creating a $bill for police force that is astronomical....but all in the name of "free speech". They fail to see that with any *right* comes personal responsibility.

TO see the looks on the POWs faces as they were picked up and transported....and the value our nations place on the lives of each soldier, each civilian....in stark contrast to the prisons, gas chambers, torture cells of the ex-president of I.

THis war has been a contrast to me of differences.

I'm proud of our nation (yes, I live in the US), *our* soldiers (including US, UK, AUS, etc), our President, our "kids" who put on uniforms to defend a cause bigger themselves.

<humming God Bless America...my home sweet home>

Last edited by Kathy; 04-14-2003 at 02:11 PM.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:04 PM   #12
Kathy

Default Re: War Media Coverage - Shame On You!

Quote:
- Jane Fonda
I meant to mention...I have still bad bad memories of this one.

WHile we were stationed at Travis AFB during Vietnam, Jane and her pals would set up camp right outside the base gates.

No matter who was driving a car in or out of the base (even my mom and us kids back from shopping on Saturday) Jane would be there to scream obsenities and throw things at the car.

Even when my own dad was sent over, Jane visited regularly....

Its hard to see her on TV and I have managed to avoid each of her movies all these years.

Sad.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:50 PM   #13
sdarken

Quote:
<You're suggesting that France, Germany and Russia were only opposed to the war because of economic ties. >

No sir. Nor did I use the word "only". Nor did I infer this
Point taken Steve. Re-reading your post, I see I oversimplified your comments.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathy
....and the value our nations place on the lives of each soldier, each civilian....
I can't help but feel sympathy to the families of all of those dead Iraqi soldiers. At various points during the war coverage there were reports of battles involving hundreds of Iraqi deaths with virtually no coalition casualties. Like the coalition soldiers, those men were just doing their jobs. Very few of them would fall into the G.W's "evil" category. Each of those lives were as valuable as the lives of the coalition soldiers. I'd like someone to go and explain why the war was so necessary to the families of those dead soldiers.

I think it was a shame that some of the western media weren't able to use arabic speaking journalists so that they could have interviewed a lot more "average" Iraqi's.

Last edited by sdarken; 04-14-2003 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:14 PM   #14
Kathy

Quote:
Originally posted by sdarken

Very few of them would fall into the G.W's "evil" category. Each of those lives were as valuable as the lives of the coalition soldiers. I'd like someone to go and explain why the war was so necessary to the families of those dead soldiers.

I think it was a shame that some of the western media weren't able to use arabic speaking journalists so that they could have interviewed a lot more "average" Iraqi's.
I too feel badly for these Iraqi soldiers who's lives were lost and yes, their lives valuable. However they were taking up arms, protecting the regime of Saddam. Their job WAS soldiering. They were his men. Any casualties of civilians (and although there were some, were few considering the way this war was conducted...even leaving the infrastructure in place as much as possible.) is a sad fact of war......and less we forget 9/11 and ALL the civilians that were targeted on purpose...with plotting and intent to kill them all.

They have been interviewing Iraqis....they all have a story to tell...Many of them about the torture by Saddam against their families.

But I digess.....the intent of this thread...

Shame on the media for providing a platform for those who are ill-informed for the sake of ratings.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:11 PM   #15
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathy Any casualties of civilians (and although there were some, were few considering the way this war was conducted...even leaving the infrastructure in place as much as possible.) is a sad fact of war......
Only 10 times the amount of coalition deaths if this is accurate.

http://www.iraqbodycount.net/
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote