Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2001, 01:28 PM   #91
Kathy

Quote:
Originally posted by Jan

And not forgetting supermoo

Of course! Not forgetting supermoo....

We need cows!
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 02:56 PM   #92
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

A cow for me? Awww...you guys are so considerate. I'll even share with SuperMoo!

I haven't been keeping up with posts this weekend because I slammed my finger in a kitchen drawer and a sizable chunk of skin on my left index finger was gouged out. It's not easy to type with a giant bandage on, you know?

Which raises another question. (Of course!) I'm curious as to whether you guys think that we (geeks) are more klutzy, uncoordinated, or physically graceless than most people. My guess on this is that we live more in our minds and less in our bodies than the average person which might translate into more gouged fingers and broken toes.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 08:39 PM   #93
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhea
Which raises another question. (Of course!) I'm curious as to whether you guys think that we (geeks) are more klutzy, uncoordinated, or physically graceless than most people. My guess on this is that we live more in our minds and less in our bodies than the average person which might translate into more gouged fingers and broken toes.
It's a bit hard to hurt yourself if you never leave the computer But to answer your question, I probably have less little mishaps since I became a geek.

But AS needs to be careful she doesn't burn herself when she slides that duck into the oven
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 08:48 PM   #94
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

AS, I have to chime in here with some tips on cooking duck or I'm afraid you're going to have a less than wonderful holiday dinner. (No offense, Jan!)

#1: Don't use any type of oil or fat in preparing the duck. Duck is plenty oily as it is.
#2: Removing the fat/grease from the duck is essential if you want a crisp skin. Using a serrated knife make half a dozen diagonal cuts all the way through the skin on the breast. Be careful not to cut into the meat underneath. Also cut through the skin under each leg to allow the oil to drain. (Major fat pads in that region.)
#3: Cook the duck on a rack, breast side up, over a pan of water. The rising steam will: a) melt the fat in the duck, b) keep the duck meat moist.

Ta-da! I'm a geek who can cook! lol!
Old 11-04-2001, 09:34 PM   #95
Czar

Webmaster

Very impressive, Rhea!

Personally, I can't even cook toast, but have you seen how Chinese chefs prepare a duck prior to cooking it Peking style?

Well, some insert a bike pump or similar inflation device into the duck's neck and pump until the fatty skin seperates from the flesh of the duck, before tying the neck off to keep the air buffer in place while the duck is cooked. Not the best procedure to visualize, I'll admit, but the result tastes great.

Don't worry, Jan. Your friendly duckie is already inflated, so he may be able to avoid the trauma.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 08:21 PM   #96
Rhea

lol Czar! A BICYCLE PUMP!?! Whodathunkit? How can they tell when it's fully inflated? I have visions of peeling raw duck skin off my ceiling for days on end!

I've eaten Peking Duck, which is yummy, but I prefer duck without a marinade or sauce covering up the flavor. Served American style with wild rice, a medley of steamed veggies and a tangy, hot fruit compote on the side. Or you could serve individual ramekins of a custardy stuffing with raisins, apples, onions and ground turkey in place of the wild rice. (drool) To give the duck a delicate aroma, sometimes I put a cored, peeled apple in the cavity. Other times I put a peeled orange inside.

Oh...and just in case anyone wondered...one duck serves two people. One duckling is definitely not a substitute for one turkey.

So now everyone knows how to cook a duck. Who wants to be the first to invite me to dinner?

(EDIT: Ticketed for exceeding the "Smiley Limit".)

Last edited by Rhea; 11-05-2001 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:35 PM   #97
Jan

Administrator

I think I would rapidly lose my appetite if I was to see that procedure
Old 11-06-2001, 09:50 AM   #98
Kathy

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhea

(EDIT: Ticketed for exceeding the "Smiley Limit".)
Ah, bummer. What is the smiley limit?

Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 02:30 PM   #99
Supermoo

The actual limit today is: 11, or is it ten?

Last edited by Supermoo; 11-06-2001 at 02:32 PM.
Supermoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 07:21 PM   #100
Rhea

lol! On odd days it's primes Even days it's Fibonacci.
Old 11-21-2001, 06:14 AM   #101
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by AztecSummer
True! We won't be stuffing the duck, though. It might be a side dish, if desired.
Happy Thanksgiving to all in USA

Duck hunting season is over!!

Last edited by Jan; 11-21-2001 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-21-2001, 12:08 PM   #102
scottyO

Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving to all in USA

Duck hunting season is over!!
We still have one more day 'till Thanksgiving. In a little more than 24 hours, I expect to be eating quite a bit!
scottyO is offline   Reply With Quote