Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2001, 03:58 PM   #1
Kaiosama

Unhappy "Free" Subscription Based Site

We have discussed many times in the past about the possibilities of micropayments and the subscription based model for content based sites. How about we use a subscription based model where the user doesn't pay.

The sign-up can be free and supported by such programs like opt-in email. It would be integrated with the sign-up process.

With SuperTAF I have seen nearly 100% sign-up rate for the optional email newsletters/ezines. Unfortunately I don't have much experience in the field and was hoping someone can tell me about the positives and negatives of such an idea.

I wanted to open up a wallpaper site but cannot see how standard advertising methods alone could support the bandwidth fees of such a site and be profitable.

[This message has been edited by Kaiosama (edited 03-29-2001).]
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 04:11 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

That's a great idea for a bandwidth-heavy site such as the one that you are proposing.

'Free' memberships have been used to some success within the adult industry for years now, and seem to be viable for other sites. The only problem would be that the majority of your 'forced' subscribers would probably use their secondary email address (such as a Hotmail spam account) for this purpose, which may reduce its attractiveness to advertisers over the long-term.

Still, for those of us who aren't able to have 10 second compulsory interstitials appear before entering a particular section (ala Snowball's new plan), free memberships coupled with co-registrations may be the way to go.

------------------
Czar
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 04:19 PM   #3
Kaiosama

Unhappy

The opt-in email sign-ups would be optional... unlike the adult industry and NBCI.
Old 03-29-2001, 04:26 PM   #4
Kaiosama

Unhappy

Also how many ad companies offer these 10 second interstitials? This could be used with another new feature we will be adding. It will be a radio style service to our members. We wanted to incorporate some audible ads for our new comedy feature.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:53 PM   #5
demae

Unhappy

Kaiosama wrote:

Quote:
I wanted to open up a wallpaper site but cannot see how standard advertising methods alone could support the bandwidth fees of such a site and be profitable.
Use an unlimited bandwidth webhost like I do for AnimeWallpapers.com. ServerCentral.net has a 400 MB account for under $100 a month. (I use their 800 MB account for $235 a month, which has higher concurrent process allowances.)
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 09:03 PM   #6
Advert404

Unhappy

for $19.95 you can get 1200mb 10gig or $16.95 500mb 20gig.

Advert404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 10:13 PM   #7
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Quote:
Also how many ad companies offer these 10 second interstitials?
I'm not aware of any networks that offer these. Snowball's are direct-sold and managed in-house.

Unicast comes close, but their ads may be closed before being seen, and seemingly can't be launched at will (they launch once they have been given a chance to load sufficiently).

------------------
Czar
Old 03-30-2001, 07:08 AM   #8
jokaroo

Question

Now where would we find companies to allow checkboxes on the site like supertaf?
jokaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 01:57 PM   #9
Kaiosama

Unhappy

Demae I won't ask you the specifics of your site but with that host approximately what CPM must you earn to pay the fees?

Could you survive at .20 CPM?
Old 03-30-2001, 05:01 PM   #10
SGA

Thumbs up

Way to go Snowball. I see somebody is trying my idea. I first proposed this idea about 3 weeks ago.
http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/004954.html

My whole point is that if my viewers will not watch the commercial they can not view my material. It is the perfect scenario for sites with good content. In the thread above I noted that if I could get right back to "Friends" I would unstead of watching the commercials. Well seems that TV's future may have a similar fate as ours. With TIVO and that new Microsoft box thing viewers may be able to choose not to watch commercials. Then what? They are in the same boat as us!!

Kaiosama, czar, scabie, phatgames any of you guys want to try starting a network with 10 second commercials to require for viewing our sites. I have 14,000 uniques per day to help start the network. We would be the first such Network, this I believe will be the future of net advertising. This could be very lucrative $$$

[This message has been edited by SGA (edited 03-30-2001).]
SGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 05:16 PM   #11
Czar

Webmaster

Lightbulb

SGA, I loved your idea when I first heard it, and I still love it now.

Maybe we should discuss it further on a private forum, or via email, in order to brainstorm the feasibility of a group of Geek/Talkers developing, supporting and marketing such a system.

------------------
Czar
Old 03-31-2001, 12:19 AM   #12
Kaiosama

Unhappy

Perhaps I could integrate focalex with the sign-up. The users would have an option to sign-up for those only if they want to.
Old 03-31-2001, 06:59 AM   #13
Kaiosama

Unhappy

Very interesting indeed... We do have the in-house graphics talent and I was thinking of making a flash animation ad targeted towards our visitors. I am also interested in your network plan.

I only have one thing to say about that. The sites in the network should be of high quality. I have in the past joined some reputable networks only to find that they were accepting the worst of sites as long as they got a great deal of hits. L90 and Snowball are a great example of this. With sites made up of only Geek/Talk member this could be just what I am looking for.