Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2001, 03:00 AM   #1
wly

Thumbs down NBCi Affiliate program

Due to recent market conditions NBCi.com will be making changes to our Affiliate program to be more in line with the industry at large. As you are aware, NBCi.com has been paying out commissions well above the market average. In order to maintain our program, where competitors have recently closed theirs, and ensure that our affiliate marketing efforts prove to be a viable marketing vehicle we will be reducing our commission rates.

Currently, our program ROI (Return on Investment) is not at a favorable margin in part due to a "soft advertising market." In order to close the ROI gap we will be making the following changes to the program.

NBCi.com is restructuring our Affiliate program as of 12:00am February 16, 2001. Please note that after this date you will be earning a $.01 commission for valid clickthroughs that are generated by NBCi.com links.

The second part of the restructuring will affect the check release threshold. To have a check cut on a quarterly basis you must earn a minimum of $150.00. If you don't meet the threshold requirement for payment in any given quarter, that amount will automatically roll over into the next quarter and so forth until the threshold of $150.00 is met. The new threshold amount will go into affect retroactive to January 1, 2001.

As you're aware of the changing marketplace, NBCi.com was forced to downsize our staff last month. The remaining NBCi.com Affiliate Team is working hard to stay on top of our affiliates concerns and questions as we rebuild internally. Please be patient if your affiliate customer service request takes a little more time to be addressed. We will respond to all messages as quickly as possible.

Lastly, all Q4-2000 checks are being scrutinized for fraudulent activity. This is a growing problem among CPC programs and we are working as rapidly as possible to make any adjustments where needed on affiliate accounts. Unfortunately, this is a very time consuming process. We apologize for delays or any inconvenience this may bring. We anticipate that all Q4 checks should be released by the second week of March 2001.

We would like to thank you for your participation in our program as we value your business. We want to remind you that we could not have this program without your loyalty and support of NBCi.com. We feel strongly optimistic that our program will prevail in these ever-changing times. We wish you continued success in the future. If you have any additional questions or concerns please contact: affiliate@nbci.com

--------------------------------------------

wow they changed the payout rate from a low $20 to $150. Are they running out of cash to burn?

wly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 03:13 AM   #2
Edwin

Unhappy

Unbelievable! ... or not?

See my comments in the active thread about HitBox http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/004668.html and then imagine how many affiliate accounts NBCi has given that it has wrapped Snap!, Xoom and several other properties into a big bundle.

Now try and guess how many of those affiliates have earned over $150 to date. For instance, anyone who earned $19.99 or less in Q4 2000 will be rolled over to Q1 2001 and suddenly have to make another $131.01 or more to get paid a dime.

This is getting much closer to daylight robbery, but of course as a big corporation NBCi has the big legal guns to make this kind of change stick.

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 06:35 AM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Very nasty indeed. Unfortunately, the big losers in that sort of situation are the indie publishers. NBCi can afford to take losses and gamble with programs such as this, but those who intend to s****e together a living out of such programs end up taking the heat for NBCi's failures.

This is precisely the reason that the more dedicated, and scaled down, operators are seeing real profits now, while continuing to gain publisher support.

Time to switch over to SearchTraffic. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 07:00 AM   #4
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

Thanks for the good word.

The new program is out of tech testing and now on a limited beta and has been coming in at between a $5.00 and $0.35 CPM. I don't know if that's good or bad. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Hopefully we'll have the flow evened out and release it next week.
Robert from SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 07:09 AM   #5
Robert from SI

Unhappy

Also, re: NBCi

While I completely disagree with the method (that's burning a bridge if ever I saw one)I understand the plight they are in.

Contracts expire and circumstances can change overnight.

Many firms have given up on branding their properties. They were willing to pay 5 cents for traffic worth 3 cents because of the branding that came with it. Now many of them are waking up and demanding that traffic they pay 5 cents for earn them 6 cents.
Old 02-16-2001, 07:26 AM   #6
xuniverse
Member.

Unhappy

well they owe me a nice chunk of change.... i hope they can pay.
xuniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 07:29 AM   #7
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Robert, you don't know whether $0.35-$5CPM is good or bad? Hmmm...that's modesty if I ever saw it. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

I'm counting the days until the new program is released...and I trust that you'll let Geek/Talk members know as soon as it's launched, right?

------------------
Czar
iOnline Network
Old 02-16-2001, 07:39 AM   #8
Robert from SI

Unhappy

I'm not happy that there is such a wide spread. We have a few "control" sites that we really know well and have a very good feel for thier traffic.

Interestingly one of the better control sites happens to be the worst performer. $0.35 on a 468x60 ad. We have another site getting $1.15 from 100x100 button. And I don't exactly understand why. It definitely seems as though traffic targeted to a general demographic is perfoming better than very highly targetted traffic.

We're fiddling with some graphics and whatnot now to try and increase the CTR.
Old 02-16-2001, 07:46 AM   #9
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

And I'm sure they'll still be a few minor issues to tweak soon after the program's release. The great thing is, the industry is so turbulent at the moment that I'm certain you'll have no trouble finding publishers who are willing to experiment with the various facets of the program, and to offer SI constructive feedback as to how it may be improved.

------------------
Czar
iOnline Network
Old 02-16-2001, 08:16 AM   #10
zMan

Question

Robert,

Are you sure you will be releasing the new program next week? Or there isn't a fixed release date yet?

Also... Is this a CPM program? Looks like it. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif Care to share how it works (ex: We will get paid based on what, etc...)

------------------
zMan
zMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 08:25 AM   #11
Robert from SI

Unhappy

I'm not sure it will be going out next week. I'm hoping. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif Aside from being a new program it's our first work with version 2 of our software which is a complete rewrite.

It is not CPM but the logical thing for affiliates to do will be to cheack their revenue on a CPM basis.
Old 02-16-2001, 03:54 PM   #12
wly

Unhappy

Hi Robert! I am interested in joining search traffic but my country is among those banned. Can I still apply to your program? Thanks.
wly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 05:55 PM   #13
Robert from SI

Unhappy

wly,

I have to offer my apologies but we have decided that we are not making exceptions to any of our terms right now.
Old 02-16-2001, 06:54 PM   #14
Steve_S

Arrow

Please, the topic is "NBCi Affiliate program"

I think we have wondered off topic. I'm confident you folks know how to click the "Post New Topic" button. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thank you

------------------
Best regards,
Steve_S
Administrator/Owner/Webmaster/Tribal Chief
Read what our Members think of geek/talk.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote