Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2001, 07:45 AM   #1
gagsplus

Arrow Which is more important? Money or Traffic

From reading this forum for about 2 weeks now, I see the question over and over is how much money can I make with this and this company.

My question is why run all these banners that pay per click or the search affiliate programs when they are leaving your page. I know for me, that it is more important for me to keep the traffic. The only banners I have on my site are promoting my other sites or my partner's sites.

I make my money with the 280,000 people in my newsletter network.

There are some companies like shagmail.com that don't run any other affiliate stuff, they have their own product in house (videos, books)

So what is more important, traffic or money?

------------------
Pranksters Unite - <A HREF="http://www.gagsplus.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.gagsplus.com
</A>
Best of Humor - http://www.bestofhumor.com
gagsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 09:15 AM   #2
parplex

Unhappy

I guess I understand what you are saying, so here is my opinion. You need traffic to make money(exception to those people on your list but you needed traffic to make to get them) so when it comes down to it, I guess it is traffic because you cant have one with out the other.
parplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 12:13 PM   #3
Vicky
Member.

Lightbulb

Hi,

About Money Or Traffic????

Well Hummmmm.... I Think Both Are Coreleated To Each Other.

Personaly Speaking On My Company Behalf That We Don't Owe A Very Big Company...Just A Smalll Company Volsoft Infoways Under Partnership Of 3 People With Staff Of 4 Under Us.We Are In Web Devolpment and Emphasize On Online Projects.

We Do Build Projects For Other Compaines but Our Company Has Its Own 5 Online Division Running On Net.

We Dont Go On Dedicated Servers But Yes Good Ones On Hire.

For Our 5 online Divisions We Have Estimated Monthly Expenses Of Around 800$ For Mainting It Inculding Server Costs And Every Thing

Do You Think If We Dont Go For Advt on Our Site For Recovering Our Expenes ...Then Can Our Expenses Be Recovered???? ...At least For Us...Not Possibe Untill You have A Good Back up.

Yes Of Course Visitors Do Matter as More Visitors You have On Your Site More Revenue You Can Earn...But If You Have Say Around 100000 Visitors Comming To Your Site Per Month and Atleast For Maniting And Increasing The Visitors ..Updating ...To Meet Server Costs You have To pay For It From Your own Pocket...Yep If You Have Such Big Pockets You can.....But Most Companys Won't.

I Think Website,Publishers,Advertisres are on One path only......No Publisher......No Advertiser...No Advt Company

I Think This Would Answer The Question

Appology For My Spelling Mistakes

Regards
Mastermind http://www.bollyblues.com

Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 12:24 PM   #4
Synozeer

Unhappy

Usually traffic = money, but there are plenty of sites with little traffic making lots of money, mainly because they sell products or are very niche.

Generally, your choice comes down to why you're running your web site, for money or enjoyment? And if the cost of running your web site is high, then making money usually comes into the equation.

------------------
Insane Pictures - www.insanepictures.com
Top MUD Sites - www.topmudsites.com
Synozeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 01:20 PM   #5
gagsplus

Arrow

[quote]Originally posted by Kaycee:
[b]I think they call this Forum, "Making Money on the Internet". The emphasis is on Money. Traffic related issues probably should be in the Site Promotion Forum or somewhere.
&lt;/B&gt;

I understand that this forum is about making money but like others have said, you can't make money with out traffic. If your serious about your website and making money then the #1 investment you can do is to create a newsletter with some good content on it. The reason why I asked the question about money or traffic is here is because I assume this forum topica gets more traffic. Hmm more traffic about money?

Yes traffic=money in some cases. Me I am personally starting to leave the affiliate market because why should I help others make money and brand their site if I can sell the same or similar products and make money off it. The problem is that everyone runs the same ads and eventually they just kill their productivity. This is one reason why CJ is so dead now because so many webmasters are using it.

gagsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 04:45 PM   #6
AhmedF

Unhappy

Traffic. Definately.

Build it up, keep people coming back and happy, and they will be more willing to look at your ads, and the advertiser's site[s].
AhmedF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 09:16 PM   #7
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

a few months back i would of said traffic.... but now i say money is more important... you need that money to cover your hosting costs first and foremost

for me i have the traffic and money does come in but it's like 30 - 45 days after end of previous month + 1 - 3 weeks for that money to get to me + my bank holds that money for another 30 - 40 working days.... so it's like nearly 3 - 4 months before i get that money - in the meantime i would need to have money to cover 3 - 4 months of hosting costs + any unexpected bandwidth increases over that 3 - 4 months.

comes back to needing money to make money i suppose.

------------------[*]Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion[*]film - writers - reviewers - reporters - designers[*]FanBuy.com indevelopment[*]PHP, MySQL, vBulletin, hosting and server admin info, tips & tidbits
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 10:43 PM   #8
Jack
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

For content sites my opinion is to do both if you can. Allow me to explain:

The sole purpose of my content site is to get a user who comes to my site to give me his or her E-Mail address. This makes it much easier for me to try to make money off of my site because I have a list of people who allow me to enter my content (and of course ads) into their E-Mail box (a much more personal place). Once that user gives this away, he or she is now qualified as a returning visitor to my site and is a friend. I don't like to hit my friends with pop ups or other semi annoying types of ads. If an unregistered user comes to my site, then of course he could become a friend. I urge this new visitor to sign up for one of my wonderful mailing lists. Should this person continue to browse more pages without giving away this information, then it is time to urge the visitor a bit harder to sign up (such as pop ups promoting the site's many incredible mailing lists). Should this continue to be ignored, then I have no regrets to make money off of this visitor in more annoying ways.

If the question posed is whether to have a ton of traffic or a site which has considerably less traffic but generates more money, then I would always go with the site which generated more money. I would always pick a site which made $.80 to $1.00 off of visitors over a site which made only a cent off of visitors with 50 times more traffic. Traffic is nice for raising an ego, but I'd rather just have money http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 11:22 PM   #9
austincassidy

Unhappy

Have you considered ValueClick's "Keep The Traffic" service? You put a little form on your site with some checkboxes, and it lets your visitors register for stuff.

They never actually leave your site, so it's a way to keep the visitors and make money from them.

------------------
-------------------------
Austin Cassidy
http://www.spaceweekly.com
austincassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 11:45 PM   #10
Kaycee

Cool

I think they call this Forum, "Making Money on the Internet". The emphasis is on Money. Traffic related issues probably should be in the Site Promotion Forum or somewhere.

So in this Forum you're outnumered. Money wins. Here we think of traffic as nothing more than like heads of cattle that are taken to market.

Kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 03:39 PM   #11
JakeJeck

Unhappy

Money.

There are hundreds of ways to get more visitors, but we all know how hard it is to get more money per visitor.
JakeJeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 03:52 PM   #12
WildComputer

Unhappy

Quote:
I would always pick a site which made $.80 to $1.00 off of visitors over a site which made only a cent off of visitors with 50 times more traffic.
I'd absolutely agree with that, even if it $1 per visitor vs. a site which makes $0.01 per visitor with 100 times or more as much traffic.

High Earnings per visitor are absolutely crucial if you want to promote a site profitably.

------------------
Sunil Tanna
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote