Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2000, 03:01 PM   #1
gbrott

Cool Ad Networks v.s. Affiliates

Do you guys do better with pay per click networks (we are on flycast pay per click) or affiliate banners? Just started with flycast pay per click and the returns are terrible. Have yet to rotate in affiliate banners - any thoughts?
gbrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2000, 05:04 PM   #2
Arn

Cool

well, in general, I don't think banners are the best way to utilize Affiliate links...

Certainly, there are situations where you may be able to target it well - I still think you could do better by using textlinks or otherwise targeted ads.

And there's no reason you can't use these affiliate links and still get revenue from banner ads. (assuming you haven't signed an exclusive deal)

but, as always - your mileage may very and the only way to know is to try it out.

arn

------------------
http://www.weeno.com - Learn Stuff You Don't Know

Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2000, 05:11 PM   #3
fairhousing
Member.

Talking

i do well with both networks and affiliate programs. however, i generally only run banners for network ads and only text ads for affiliate programs.

good luck http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2000, 09:31 PM   #4
gmiller

Cool

I've never made much money on either... It's the CPM networks that have really made me the money. Here are some tips:

With affiliate systems, be very careful to read the fine print. They make a lot of their money by using loopholes to avoid paying you anything. In particular, pay attention to whether the program pays for items not specifically linked from your site, and for buyers who follow your link, then come back later to buy.

With CPC, watch the ads. Many of the less ethical operators pay low per-click rates ($0.20 and under) and carry a lot of ads that users aren't likely to click on in the first place.

Many of them also show the same ads over and over or with no targetting, lowering CTR even further. This is particularly common on ad networks that are paid low CPM rates by advertisers then turn around and pay you CPC rates. Be suspicious if the ad network's income isn't directly tied to yours.

As for Flycast, they're a large, legitimate company, but I their CPC network is new and not their main business. How successful it is, I don't know.
gmiller is offline   Reply With Quote