Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2000, 08:32 PM   #1
WaveManSW

Question Multiple Web Servers/Hosts for 1 site: Good idea? Is it possible?

Hey everyone! Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Wonderful Kwanzaa!

If you've already read this on a different forum, I apologize, but I'm trying to get as much feedback on this tangent I've thought up because I honestly think it might work for me. I want to hear your thoughts though...

Quickly, what I'm looking for in a webhost is over 100 GB a month of transfer (For only about 30 MB of HTML/JPG's) to host my website. I have been looking to alternatives to a dedicated and therefore expensive server but have struck out swinging.

Well, a thought struck me and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback to whether this would ever work.

What if I signed up for hosting on two different servers (Say just for argument LiquidWeb and Tera-Byte) using both servers to host different pages of my site. Between the two, I would have almost enough bandwidth and the two top plans together would be around $60.00 a month and would give me around 70 GB of traffic a month combined.

Is it at all possible to do that? As in, can I direct both LiquidWeb and Tera-Byte to one domain or would I need two separate domains that I could somehow connect? Is it even possible/allowed to host one site on two different web hosting companies?

I know it's not the best plan of action to split up a website among multiple servers, but if I this is doable, it would save me a lot of money each month and I think would work great.

Even taking it a step further, could I do this with free hosting? I'm not saying going to 100 different 1 GB a month hosting companies, but just to cover myself GB wise, if I went to one or two free hosts and stored some pages there, that could work too.

As I said, I have no idea if this is possible/ethical/whatever, but it seemed to be a great idea when it was in my head.

All help, as always, is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Scott
WaveManSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 12:04 AM   #2
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

why not get a tera-byte/4webspace dedicated raq3 server with 100gb/month ?

I have seen you post all over the place, but i suggest you actually email those hosts and ask first.. i know a few hosts that do not allow such arrangements..

your answer from them will determine your next move.. better to ask first then getting booted after you get all setup

------------------[*]Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion[*]<A HREF="http://infilmbox.com" TARGET=_blank>film - writers - reviewers - reporters - designers
</A>
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 06:48 AM   #3
WaveManSW

Unhappy

LOL, I posted my message on a bunch of different webmaster forums and got very similar replies about dedicated servers. So here comes a bunch of similar replies from me :&gt;

The reason why I'm hesitant to go with a dedicated server is because I know NOTHING about Dedicated Servers. Nothing. I've been reading about dedicated servers and people are talking about trace routes and pings and I have no clue what any of that means.

Sure, I could buy books (One post somewhere somebody suggested buying $100 worth of books explaining dedicated servers in detail) but I don't have the time nor the inclination to do that.

Plus, if I went with 4webspace.com's RAQ (Which I would) I'd be spending $100 a month, plus either $111 or $389 o.con extra RAM (Which I guess makes the site go faster, although again I'm not familiar with that) plus whatever books/whatever I'd have to get to understand the whole process.

To me, it's worth it to get two or three different highly recommended web servers, get 3 different 40 GB a month packages for pay around $100 for 120 GB a month with all sorts of goodies from those packages and not have to worry about learning about a dedicated server.

I'm really afraid I'd be lost with a dedicated server, while with a virtual one, all I have to do is upload and be done :&gt;.

I hope that makes some sense and allows you to get at least a little insight on why I'm shying away from the dedicated servers.

-Scott
Old 12-26-2000, 08:58 AM   #4
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

i understand what you are going through.. i only went dedicated 6 months ago and knew nothing about dedicated server management..

so i went for a web host with a control panel to manage the server... i went with rackspace... learnt as i went and now have moved and have 1 server at ultraspeedusa.com and 1 server tera-byte.com

my point is if you are going to utilise that much bandwidth you'd be utilising alot of cpu time on virtual hosting and eventually those hosts will ask you to go dedicated.. and then you'd be wasting time feeling rushed to move dedicated... and still know nothing about server admin..

i am sure someone like Daniel from ultraspeedusa.com or Steve from tera-byte.com would help you get your 1 web site setup with email etc and running on their respective dedicated servers at no additional charge... then it's basically upload and update your site nothing more...

then when you have time ask around all the forums and learn bit by bit..

------------------[*]Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion[*]<A HREF="http://infilmbox.com" TARGET=_blank>film - writers - reviewers - reporters - designers
</A>
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 09:21 AM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Scott,

Perhaps the real issue is your revenue per bandwidth consumption.

The lesson that I have learned and many others around here have learned is that 100 gigs of trafic should produce enough gross revenue to permit you to get a better hosting plan with a single host and still make a profit.

If it doesn't, then it's time to think about ways that it can via our Making Money Forum or remove some of the stuff that consumes bandwidth. If your site is not Adult in nature then get the link up and have some of our resident experts in Making Money offer some advice.

Using 2 or more domains for your downloads is a viable solution and easy to implement. Splitting the site up between 2 hosts/2 seperate domains might work as well since the paths to images would still be relative and speed would not be impacted and it would still be easy to manage. For this to work it's got to be a clean "cut".

The best long term solution is your own dedicated server. Virtualis uses GUI control panel and even binds/sets up each domain for you. VERY easy to use. I have a short review at:
http://www.geekvillage.com/virtualis_review.htm

HTH

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
FREE Ecards for your site. Your pages and images = $$$ Tons of features. We host the script. The easy way to learn who links to your site in the major engines.

[This message has been edited by Steve_S (edited 12-26-2000).]
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 10:09 AM   #6
WaveManSW

Unhappy

Thanks for all your help..I really appreciate it.

I will look into everything you guys mentioned.

It's real funny...Just over a year ago, I took over a website on Angelfire that was getting 250 uniques a day on the most specific of topics, a single wrestling videogame that hadn't been released yet and was coming out on only one videogame system. Can't get much more specific.

A year later, I moved up to be hosted at a wrestling website, I'm now getting 6,000 uniques and 60,000 page views a day and I'm looking into ways to to get my own server while not paying thousands of dollars each year.

I'm still just amazed by everything and trying to learn everything..Hell, I still use Notepad Plus for all my HTML :&gt;

This is nuts..A good nuts, but it's still crazy when I sit back and think about it.

Thanks again for all your help...
Old 12-27-2000, 01:04 PM   #7
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Locking and moving to our new Web Hosting Forum. Please join us http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
FREE Ecards for your site. Your pages and images = $$$ Tons of features. We host the script. The easy way to learn who links to your site in the major engines.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 11:32 AM   #8
gallery

Thumbs up

I think the best solution is to create multiple web sites with your site.

Let's say you have 5 main sections. Make a different web site for each of them.

Your current web site will just be one page linking to 5 others.

This way you will split the bandwidth amongst all of them and you will get much more visitors as you can submit all the new sites to search engines.

You can of course keep the same design for all your websites.

This is what I'm doing + other things, as my total bandwidth exceeds 100 gigs a month.
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 04:44 PM   #9
demae

For animewallpapers.com, I have it split between two hosts. All the HTML pages are served from dedicatedco-host.net, and all the JPG images are served from aplushosting.com.

APlusHosting.com has a nice deal where if I display their button on the top of every page of my site, they don't charge for extra bandwidth.

It's only costing me $30 a month for something around 100 GB of transfer. (The bandwidth from the HTML pages at dedicatedco-host.net is killing me though... about 10 GB per month for those and bandwidth costs money there)

You could try e-mailing webmaster@aplushosting.com and ask if they will do such an arrangement for you too. Their webpage talks about this here: http://www.aplushosting.com/english/bandwidth.phtml

Their terms have gotten more restrictive since I signed up though.
demae is offline   Reply With Quote