Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Barter/Trade, Buy, & Sell > Archives of old posts from Let's Barter/Trade, Buy, & Sell
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2001, 03:48 PM   #1
webdog

Unhappy Sale of High Traffic Site

I believe I have come to a point where I'm thinking of selling my site and maybe buy a new computer or using it for a deposit on a new car. I'm still thinking about it, but when I start thinking real hard about doing it, I realize that I have no idea where to start.

Maybe one of you fellow geek villager's can give me some advice.

My site provides free forums to webmasters. Currently doing about 1 million page views per month.

I have no idea how to sell the site, or the other question is, can I sell a site like this one (completely programmatically driven). To top it all off, the million dollar question would probably be, what is a site like this worth?

I would really appreciate any comments you may have.
Feel free to check out the site at http://www.messagefriends.com
Old 01-08-2001, 04:05 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Hello webdog

Welcome to the Forum and BB. This post is a better fit in our Lets Trade/Barter/By/Sell Forum so please permit me to lock this topic and move it over yonder to this Forum.

Please read this new Forums rules about Selling domains and just fill in the blanks with your data.

Please join us.

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
FREE Ecards for your site. Your pages and images = $$$ Tons of features. We host the script. The easy way to learn who links to your site in the major engines.
Old 01-08-2001, 04:24 PM   #3
Edwin

Unhappy

Wow, that would be such a gorgeous fit with emailaddresses.com - especially since I own "noticeboards.com" which might make for a more memorable name!

Unfortunately, the cupboard is pretty bare right now so I almost certainly could not give you what the site is worth...

Edwin

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/
Old 01-08-2001, 06:01 PM   #4
regier

Unhappy

I also could be interested if the advertising market wasn't so bad this month.
Old 01-08-2001, 08:42 PM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Webdog, that's a fantastic site/service, and I would love to hear more about the sale once you've figured out what price you'd like to ask for it.

Feel free to email me at webmaster@net-ads.com to discuss this further.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads: Get More Hits. Make More Money.
www.net-ads.com
Old 01-08-2001, 11:47 PM   #6
DJ_B

Unhappy

Wow! Webdog, that is a really great site! IMHO though, you are a little of with your pricing for the site.

If you are really getting a million page views a month, which I don't think any of us will doubt with the quality of your site, you could get more than the price of a new computer.

True advertising is down lately, but still. Your site has so much potential!(even though it has already achieved a lot, it looks like).

Call me overly optimistic for saying this, but I don't think it is too outrageous to think you could aford to buy a few new computers if you ever found the right buyer. I don't think it should be too difficult to get $5,000 for the site easily.

Keep in my though, I know absolutely nothing about web site sales.
Old 01-09-2001, 12:06 AM   #7
Edwin

Unhappy

When you figure out what you want for the site, at least send me an email. The cupboard is bare, but not quite empty!

Do you run your own scripts? Can you supply a few more details on the server and bandwidth requirements your site currently needs?

I have a dedicated server with a dual PII500 and a GB of RAM...

Edwin

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/
Old 01-10-2001, 12:21 AM   #8
Strider

Unhappy

I would be very interested in buying your site, I sent you an email with some questions the other day but have not heard anything back yet. Please send me an email when you figure out what you would like to do.
Old 01-10-2001, 01:16 AM   #9
webdog

Unhappy

Thanks for your advice and replies. Did'nt think that I would get so much responses about this. This must be the place where serious webmasters hang out.

I have decided on a final sale price. The sale price is $5000 USD. If you would like more information about the sale, please send email to help@messagefriends.com

Thanks
Old 01-10-2001, 01:17 PM   #10
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Hello webdog,

Perhaps I did not make the requirements of this Forum clear http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif See my post in this thread.

Here is an exstract from this Forums rules:

If you wish to sell a site, please provide the following data in your initial post: Your name, URL of the site, age of site, traffic statistics, asking price, your Email address, gross and net revenue per month, and any other pertinent data. If you wish to sell a domain name, please indicate this in your post. Please combine ALL your domain name sales in a single post. Posts which do not contain this data violate our rules and will be deleated. We will also invoke our "Zero Tolerance" policy with respect to Abuse.

Please immediately insert ALL of this data in this thread. Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
FREE Ecards for your site. Your pages and images = $$$ Tons of features. We host the script. The easy way to learn who links to your site in the major engines.