Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2001, 08:03 PM   #16
Skystar
Member.

Unhappy

Why are you people wasting time fooling around with Mailbits?! Sue them immediately! For crying out loud, they should be so grateful for your very cost-effective, wonderful traffic, patientce, and efforts to enhance their company and their business - there is absolutely no excuse for them not to pay you on time . . . every time! You certainly shouldn't have to chase after them, and the fact that they don't respond _quickly_ to legitimate email inquiries means that they rookies.
Skystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 10:10 PM   #17
joma

Unhappy

Things can really turn on a dime. I was casting about for a tell-a-friend program a couple of months ago, and all I found were raves about how lucrative and reliable the Mailbits program was...
joma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 11:02 PM   #18
Bomber

Unhappy

Jemma,

Thanks for your quick reply, keep us updated to what is going on with the lawsuit!

I would also need some information from anyone on this board on the regulations and procedures on sueing a U.S based company, while I'm in Canada.
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 12:38 AM   #19
Vicky
Member.

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Bomber:
Jemma,

Thanks for your quick reply, keep us updated to what is going on with the lawsuit!

I would also need some information from anyone on this board on the regulations and procedures on sueing a U.S based company, while I'm in Canada.

Go To http://www.bbb.com

This May Help Your Cause

Regards
Mastermind http://www.bollyblues.com
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 11:09 PM   #20
jemma

Location: New York City: From Ground Zero to Ground of Heroes
Arrow

Bomber wrote: I would also need some information from anyone on this board on the regulations and procedures on sueing a U.S based company, while I'm in Canada.

Hi Bomber, I don't have a lot of information, but may be able to point you in the right direction. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif Check your mail tomorrow, when I'll be sending answers to e-mail.

Jemma
jemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 11:19 PM   #21
jemma

Unhappy

I heard from a few people who are owed less than $400 each, and because of this may not want to get involved in suing. But they were still plenty frustrated and angry about Mailbits cheating them, and were wondering if there was some other way to take action. (e.g. "It's the principle..")

Vicky mentioned the Better Business Bureau, and I believe Czar posted about them in greater detail a while back.

I can add a little info to that, and will try to find the URLs and post later today or tomorrow.

Jemma

Old 04-24-2001, 12:40 AM   #22
funtoon

Unhappy

Hi Jemma,

You can add my name to the list of people who mailbits dumped, I was not shouting, as I am international affiliate from India.

As far as I remember approx figure Mailbits owe me is around $400 - $450 from the two sites for the month of Jan and Feb.

Lucky for me I was not promoting Mailbits that agressively for those two months.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.funtoosh.com" TARGET=_blank> http://www.funtoosh.com[/url] - The humor portal

[This message has been edited by funtoon (edited 04-24-2001).]
funtoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 06:55 AM   #23
lwrules

Unhappy

I brought this thread to the attention of Andrew Warner who owns Mailbits. Hopefully he can come in here and respond.

Sanford Wallace
CEO
PassThisOn.com
lwrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 07:04 AM   #24
joma

Unhappy

Hey, we've got a celebrity on the board.
joma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 08:52 AM   #25
Bomber

Thumbs down

Jemma,

Thanks for the insight!!

If anyone wants to know, mailbits has said that affiliates must prove traffic to them before they pay now, and this process is going to take a month or so, we so won't be seeing payments for another 45 days!

Bomber
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 09:28 AM   #26
SillyCenter.com

Unhappy

I think you are misinterpreting the 45 day payment issue. Below is taken from the FAQ on mailbits site. What I think Mailbits is stating is that from now on it will be at least 45 days from the end of the month you accrued the revenue until you are paid. For example. You earn revenue for April, your check won't be cut until June 15.

When will I get paid?
We pay affiliates within approximately 45 days after the end of the month in which their revenue was earned.

Why are payments delayed 45 days?

Before payments can be made, we must evaluate the month's past activity of each affiliate account. Due to the large number of affiliates, we need at least 45 days to complete this evaluation.

SillyCenter.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 10:58 PM   #27
jemma

Unhappy

Quote:
Earlier today I wrote: I heard from a few people who are owed less than $400 each, and because of this may not want to get involved in suing. But they were still plenty frustrated and angry about Mailbits cheating them, and were wondering if there was some other way to take action. (e.g. "It's the principle..")

Vicky mentioned the Better Business Bureau, and I believe Czar posted about them in greater detail a while back.

I can add a little info to that, and will try to find the URLs and post later today or tomorrow.
OK, I found the URLS. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Better Business Bureau - Currently, there is one BBB complaint filed against Bradford & Reed (using their 595 Lexington Avenue, NY NY 10022 address). It doesn't say when it was filed, or for what. This link will take you to the BBB online complaint form. http://www.bbb.org/BBBComplaintsExp/Explanation.asp

Office of the NY State Attorney General - They officially investigate suspicious business practices. http://www.oag.state.ny.us/internet_complaint/ This is the online complaint form for their Internet division. While the online page doesn't mention a situation like an affiliate program defrauding its members of money, I spoke to someone in this division, and was told that affiliate complaints should come there (they'd forward them to a different department, if it was necessary).

For either organization, if you have documents to attach to your complaints, you'll need to snail mail everything.

Jemma

[This message has been edited by jemma (edited 04-25-2001).]
Old 04-28-2001, 08:40 AM   #28
JonPKibble
Member.

Thumbs down

Mailbits owes me $4000 and claims I cheated, because my traffic went up very fast. I showed them GoTo advertising reports, but they said the $3000 I spent advertising was not good enough proof, and refuse to pay me one cent. I have a few emails from Richard Erb that I saved, if anyone wants to see them I will post them on here.

Jon Prywes
FunnyWebsite.com
JonPKibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 11:40 PM   #29
a1022

Question

What is going on? How are people suppose to prove their traffic? Even a reciept of promo cost is not enough? That's rediculous!

Can't Mailbits tell if it is legit traffic just by looking at the stats? I really don't understand. Can someone explain this to me? Don't they have an account with MediaMetrix or anything?
a1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 12:41 AM   #30
JonPKibble
Member.

Thumbs down

If we all file complaints w/the BBB and New York Attorney General I think maybe we'll get their attention.

Right now here is my problem - first of all, I'm being accused of cheating because my traffic went up BIG TIME from october to november. Luckily it did not happen by happenstance (luckily!), it happened because I made a 4 cent bid on 'funny pictures' on GoTo. Reaching 1000+ targetted uniques a day, with them telling friends, that totalled 4000+ new daily uniques. Richard doesn't believe this though. I could try and convince them it is legit until I am blue in the face but as you said, there is no point.

1.) I'm a math/stats major and he is not. I understand this better if anything.

2.) My lawyer even said to me - it is near impossible to prove you DIDN'T do something. Instead shouldn't MAILBITS show US that we cheated? Assuming everyone cheated is messed up. Then to change the rules of the game and expect us to show them our traffic is legit - what is "bad traffic" anyway? It is near impossible to prove we did not SPAM. But if there were no complaints with our ISP or web host, that should be good enough proof...but not to them. This is a BAD PRACTICE.

I have a feeling they are just doing this because they're going under and want to keep as much cash as possible. There is no other rational explanation. Like I said, make sure every one of you file complaints w/BBB and the NYAG. I am very dissapointed. Not just because I am backlogged with the IRS because of the loss of this money; but because I earned this money honestly and they changed the rules midgame.

NOT ONLY THIS, BUT THEY FLAGGED MY COLLEGE ROOMMATE FOR CHEATING JUST BECAUSE HE IS MY ROOMMATE! Mailbits deserves to be fined for this kind of practice, arbitrarily charging people with crimes, theyre acting a freaking Nazi group for heavens sake. And yes I am Jewish. (Hope I didnt offend anyone was just making a comparison)

They'll flag anyone for cheating it seems. Your traffic went up was what they said to me, with my friend Andrew they flagged him because his traffic went DOWN! What do they expect, things to remain exactly level - but if it did they'd probly flag for that anyway!!!

As you can tell I'm angry.

P.S. Does anyone want to see the letters between me and Richard from Mailbits? (Would it be legal for me to post them though?)
JonPKibble is offline   Reply With Quote