Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money from Online Audio, Video and Web 2.0 Applications
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Arrow AdSense Video Units are now available

Google now has video content for your site that will make it possible for you to make money. It is called AdSense Video Units.

Your site can have relevant video content in an embedded, customizable player. All it takes is a little code and you'll have YouTube content streamed to your site. You can have it automatically targeted, choose categories to target or select content from individual YouTube partners.

At the present time this is only available for United States publishers. You will find it in the AdSense Setup tab as video units.

Here is a link to official information from Google about this. It contains additional information. There is also a video that tells you how to get started. There actually are 3 videos right now that will provide you more information about AdSense Video Units. You will also meet some of the people involved in this project. They are played one right after the other. http://adsense.blogspot.com/2007/10/...deo-units.html
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
dognose

Interesting. I wonder how their rates will compare w/ ads their size.
dognose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
oneilg

Greetings from the Maritimes. Do you by chance know of a quick solution to an Adsense problem. I am a new member of an affiliate web site program. I signed up with Googe Adsense. I had ads showing but then they disappeared. I have tried the suggestions offered by Google support to no avail. Would Google consider changing my ad so that I can submit anew ad code on my control panel? Pleas advise. I really would like to see my Adsense ads.
http://www.anythingyouneed-domain.com/index.php
oneilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Jan

Administrator

Have tried using just the one ad channel? It might be confusing the code
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default AdSense Video Units

There seems to be a lot of early excitement but it might take a while to get a good idea as to how things are going with AdSense Video Units.

A few publishers have been having problems setting up, but the instructions are very good and the instruction videos should be a big help to most who are having problems trying to figure out these new AdSense Video Units.

From what I've seen and what I've heard from a few others, it looks as if the ad targeting is rather good. However the videos need some work. They don't seem to be as much on-target.

I expect this might improve as time passes.

Last edited by Larwee; 10-14-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
oneilg

Default Adsense

Unfortunately the only way I can impact the web site code is by submitting an adsense publisher ID through my affiliate control panel. I cannot add code to the web site so I am limted to one ad only. I have emailed Google and asked for a new ad publisher ID number.

Gary
oneilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Larwee

GeekGuide

dognose, with the AdSense Video Units it is a little early to come to a good conclusion about the revenue. It seems a little low now. But that is probably to be expected until Google gets additional appropriate video content providers.

With the AdSense Video Units the split is 3 ways rather than 2. The video creator, Google as well as the publisher get a share.

It is possible that the videos will generate more interest in some visitors and could possibly produce more revenue to be shared. It is still a little early to be positive on that yet.

The earnings issue with AdSense Video Units is very important and is something that will probably be watched very closely.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
historyforkids

Well, it's not making me any money yet (less than a dollar in the last week). That's mainly because none of their choices for videos line up well with my site. Maybe it will improve in the future, but I'm not sure I see a lot of value added over just embedding an appropriate YouTube video into my page and then putting adsense ads on that same page. That way I don't have to split the revenue with the video content provider.

Karen Carr
Kidipede - History for Kids
http://www.kidipede.com
historyforkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
lates2

Interesting. This is the first time I heard about this. When I first saw the title of the thread I was thinking that I would come here and say they have had this for quite a while now, but I was thinking that this thread would have been talking about the video ads that are integrated with the rectangle banner ads and also some other banner formats.

But I guess you were not, something new Google has done again. I really wish I did develop that video site now, lol.
lates2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:12 PM   #10
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lates2 View Post
...I really wish I did develop that video site now, lol.
It's not too late to start. Although we may feel that video aggregation sites are old news, that's because we've all been immersed in the industry for a while now. There's still plenty of buzz in the wider community about online video - and there still remains opportunity to service untapped niche markets in that regard.

If there's a market you can identify that isn't been serviced well enough, and whose numbers make it worthwhile to put some effort into developing a niche video/social portal, give it a go. Who cares if you're not the next YouTube. If you build a fiercely loyal audience of a few thousand valuable, targeted members, advertisers who service that industry will start to take notice. And if you can free subsidised content from Google in the process, all the better.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #11
lates2

Yeah, video is still very popular, the only downside is that I really don't want to start a new project as I feel I have enough stuff to work with.

If only I had more time in the day. lol
lates2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #12
Larwee

GeekGuide

One early complaint with these AdSense Video Units is that some publishers think they are too large and want some smaller sizes in addition to the three sizes that are available at present. Google is reported to be giving it some consideration.