Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money from Online Audio, Video and Web 2.0 Applications
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
s.herzig

Default Standard Media Sizes

Hello all,

I, too, feel that video streaming has become a very important addition to today's internet world, especially with most users having a broadband connection nowadays.

But are there standard formats that one should consider when designing a website in future?

Cheers,

-Sebastian

PS: This may be a bit off topic, but: is there a way to detect whether a user has a broadband connection?
s.herzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:44 AM   #2
Del

Most people have broadband? Yikes, I can't believe I didn't know that! This computer is using dial-up, and will until something else is cheaper like once dial-up is so out you have to use your own servers to keep it.

Consider an exciting feel but dial-up friendly site.

I would think asking people if they have a broadband connection would be the best way, and who would lie about that?
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
s.herzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del
Most people have broadband? Yikes, I can't believe I didn't know that! This computer is using dial-up, and will until something else is cheaper like once dial-up is so out you have to use your own servers to keep it.
According to recent studies, about 65% of the people surfing on the web have a broadband connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del
Consider an exciting feel but dial-up friendly site.
Yes, well, that's always great, but I was talking about ad networks showing streaming media advertisements to end-users, not about a website design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del
I would think asking people if they have a broadband connection would be the best way, and who would lie about that?
Uhm, yeah, noone would, but this is not what I was referring to: I was talking about a way to detect this automatically from the server side for e.g. ad networks, that can quickly decide whether to show a streaming video ad or a smaller sized e.g flash or image ad / reduced quality ad.

Cheers,

-Sebastian

Last edited by s.herzig; 11-06-2006 at 08:21 AM.
s.herzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:54 AM   #4
Del

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.herzig
According to recent studies, about 65% of the people surfing on the web have a broadband connection
Wow, and 30% is DSL and >5% is Dial-up?

Yes, well, that's always great, but I was talking about ad networks showing streaming media advertisements to end-users, not about a website design.
Oh, my bad. I personally don't care unless it affects my ability to enjoy a site or page. If you want ads on a game(MMORPG), try to leave out the 'shoot the duck' 'FREE*' and lots of action ads. If you have an information site that's text and a few images it mainly just affects the loading time which I'm used to, just no ads that make a text-only content site lag when scrolling. *shudder*

Uhm, yeah, noone would, but this is not what I was referring to: I was talking about a way to detect this automatically from the server side for e.g. ad networks, that can quickly decide whether to show a streaming video ad or a smaller sized e.g flash or image ad / reduced quality ad.
Try waiting for someone who can answer it, or try www.surch.com , I found that that search gives my way of thinking up keywords better results than I had on other search engines.
I am adding 10 characters.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, and 30% is DSL and >5% is Dial-up?
Broadband is part of DSL. aka, fast internet connection. Odds are, 35% of internet users are using the slow dial-up speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband
Old 11-08-2006, 10:42 PM   #6
Del

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo
Broadband is part of DSL. aka, fast internet connection. Odds are, 35% of internet users are using the slow dial-up speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband
Oh, my bad.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:04 AM   #7
emmzee
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

According to Google Analytics, 75% of visitors to my site are using "Cable/DSL", 12% are dialup, 4% "Corporate" and the rest are "Unknown". Dunno how accurate their stats are though.
emmzee is offline   Reply With Quote