Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Website For Sale - Purchase - Barter - Trade
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2003, 12:43 PM   #1
zmusic

Default Catchy domain up for sale...

Hi All,

I'm looking to unload the domain "zmusic.com" - it's a pretty unique and valuable name... please post offers here, all will be considered.

Thanks!

Last edited by zmusic; 11-06-2003 at 12:43 PM.
zmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 03:37 PM   #2
Blazester

Your best bet is to do some research and contact some companies looking to setup a digital download service such as itunes or napster. Email and call the contacts listed in the whois record and let them know the domains is available. Using this method you could probably get at least $10k to 20k or maybe more depending on your negotiating skills. Otherwise just posting the name for sale on a website like this you might get $1k for it.
Blazester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 05:40 PM   #3
xanthan

can you post all the details?
http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=13500
xanthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Best of luck with your sale.

Your first thread which may help folks and I hope it helps your sale:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=22416

Good luck
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:14 PM   #5
zmusic

Thanks very much to all of you for your advice.

If anyone here can find someone willing to buy the name for at least $10,000... I will offer that person a 20% commission on whatever the final sale price comes out to be.

So... if you know someone who'd be willing to pay $15k for the domain, let me know about that person and I will give you a $3,000 cut... etc...

Very interested in making a transaction happen here, all help would be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:12 PM   #6
jclarkkent2003

is it just me or does this domain, zmusic.com, not have a page rank, alexa ranking, or any ranking on ranking.com, which means virtually it gets no or negligible amounts of traffic?

How can it be worth $10-15 k range, or $1k , or heck even more than $7.95 ?

I don't understand how a domain like that can be worth so much? Is there something I am missing?

Sorry If i appear rude, but I just don't see how it can be worth that.
jclarkkent2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 11:35 PM   #7
Blazester

It is short and easily remembered. It's not worth $10k to most of us. But if you were serious about trying to start an online music website it may definately be worth that much or more. It is difficult nowadays to find short, brandable, .com names. And with the opening of all the digital music sites such as iTunes and Napster, many companies are looking to get into the biz now. This domain is perfect for that kind of business.
Blazester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:05 AM   #8
zmusic

Talking

Yeah, it's absolutely worth more than $7.95

Thanks for the support, blaze. Do you happen to have any contacts anywhere that might be interested in something like this?

I'd be willing to up the commission to 30% for anyone who could help me find a buyer... and consider all offers of at least $7,500...

Offer is open to all.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:31 AM   #9
jclarkkent2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Blazester
It is short and easily remembered. It's not worth $10k to most of us. But if you were serious about trying to start an online music website it may definately be worth that much or more. It is difficult nowadays to find short, brandable, .com names. And with the opening of all the digital music sites such as iTunes and Napster, many companies are looking to get into the biz now. This domain is perfect for that kind of business.
You've still forgot about one HUGE thing, NO TRAFFIC~!

The site isn't worth **** as a name, zmusic.com ? 6 letters ~ break down 1 average word plus one extra letter.

Without any traffic, a person would be stupid as heck to pay more than $7.95 since you can get anyotherletter or even better, NUMBER + music.com for 7.95.

"Z" is the WORST single letter to have. It makes it twice as bad when it's FIRST~! This means in search engines and directories, they will be listed LAST and have the WORST visibility.

Trust me, there are MUCH better combinations, even longer domain in length, but worth WAY more in the long run with traffic.

One more thing.....

Only the .com of this is for sale. Any SERIOUS buyer wanting to start a copyrighted online music biz like itunes and napster, will buy ALL the domain extensions of that domain. Most in fact won't start a company with that name unless they can get ALL of the extentions.

Quote:
Originally posted by zmusic
Yeah, it's absolutely worth more than $7.95

Thanks for the support, blaze. Do you happen to have any contacts anywhere that might be interested in something like this?

I'd be willing to up the commission to 30% for anyone who could help me find a buyer... and consider all offers of at least $7,500...

Offer is open to all.
I don't mean to dis or flame, but I see that as a joke and if you really do get anywhere more than $7.95, I will pity the poor fool you ripped his guts out of. You need to be fair~! I couldn't sleep at night if I did something that bad to someone....

But what do I know? That's just my $0.02~!
Old 11-16-2003, 03:21 AM   #10
cheznoir
Member.

itunes.org
nope. Not owned by apple. So that point is negated. Not only that alone true but your general statement of needing all tld's is false.

As for the letter Z. It is worth more than the letter a or b or c or... this is not about search engines and a few hundred in pre-existing traffic. It is about a brandable name.

Besides Zmusic, the only other letters brandable with a hip sound would probably be emusic, imusic or xmusic.

While I do not think the name is a 15,000 name, I would imagine you could get the low 4 figures.
cheznoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 04:51 AM   #11
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Decalf please </joke>

This is a domain name only sale. The value of a domain name is determined by the deal that the buyer and seller strike. Not what you or I think, although our thoughts often help and sometimes don't.

This forum has had name only sales in the low 4 figures and developed sites sales in the low 5 figures.

I have first hand knowledge in 25K name only sales a few years ago. Some of our other members have as well. My point is that name only deals have value and this is obviously a great name for all the reasons that others have stated.

Suggestion: http://www.dnforum.com/ Tell them I sent you and it's a great resource and you better state up front that escrow is required and then negotiate the fee for this.

Note: If you want to learn and debate about domain name and developed sites values, please drop over to our Business Principals Forum and start a thread.

Good luck and best wishes to all

Last edited by Steve_S; 11-16-2003 at 04:58 AM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:09 AM   #12
jclarkkent2003

Well if you guys think it's worth that much, that's great. I never knew you could have a no name domain with zero traffic and get 4 figures ballpark...
Old 11-16-2003, 07:22 AM   #13
Jan

Administrator

The value of any domain is in the "eye of the beholder". I have seen some sell where one person offered the registration fee, others made offers much higher and the final sale was 4 figures. Some like this example, I wouldn't have even spent the registration fee on.

Each to his/her own
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:27 AM   #14
jclarkkent2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Jan
The value of any domain is in the "eye of the beholder". I have seen some sell where one person offered the registration fee, others made offers much higher and the final sale was 4 figures. Some like this example, I wouldn't have even spent the registration fee on.

Each to his/her own
thank you Jan~!

That's what I thought...
Old 11-16-2003, 07:39 AM   #15
Jan

Administrator

By "this example", I wasn't meaning the domain of the thread starter (because I wouldn't demean his/her offer), but the example of some I have seen go for big bucks, when others couldn't see the worth. As I said, it is all in the "eye of the beholder"
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote