Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2003, 04:38 AM   #16
Czar

Webmaster

PayPal's probably the most familiar route through which to solicit small donations online. If in doubt, though, you could offer both tip jar options, and may increase appeal to those with Amazon.com accounts as a result.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:29 PM   #17
nonstop

check out

http://www.giveboobs.com/

she's just raised $4500 in donations to get her breasts enlarged
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:33 PM   #18
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

<Returning to mainstream site donations if we could please >

Go here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/f71/s

This is a real example of how "donations" can work because the forums are:

Unique content
VERY VERY high quality
The members started the donations issue
A VERY strong sence of guest loyality from an enviable demographic
Enhanced by the fact that the site contains no advertising
Along with the thousands that were raised this action enhanced the "Community" bonding

An outstanding example
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:37 PM   #19
emmzee
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Here's a link to a study of the "tip jar" revenue model. The article is called "The Tip Jar as Revenue Model: A Real-World Experiment". In this case it's not a website but a book distributed for free online, but the idea is the same.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/4/27/195833/305

Interesting reading.

Last edited by emmzee; 05-07-2003 at 01:38 PM.
emmzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 02:05 PM   #20
Kathy

My community website is funded by unique merchandise in my online store based on my site's branding along with donations.

I've stopped calling them donations though.

I call them subscribers because although the website *is* free to participate, there are perks to being a subscriber.

The members who subscribe do so using my online encypted store with all credit cards accepted (because I have a merchant account) and I also allow paypal for payment if they have a paypal account. (They still use the online store, indicating their payment choice as paypal).

I changed the wording from donation to subscription because I had a member request a refund for her donation when she got mad that I closed the chatroom (not a specific benefit of subscribers). Because the donation was described as a *gift* I had no merchant recourse but to refund the money.

Subscriptions are purchases for benefits of membership and I make it clear:
  • *subscribers must continue to comply with website guidelines (and no refunds if they lose their membership privileges because of infringments of guidelines).
    *subscribers received benefits worth more than their payment and no refunds are provided

Does this work? It does for my site.

My site is a specific niche community with a large, loyal group of members. I have a staff of 60+ volunteers who moderate and help in some capacity with 26,000 members.

Most of my funds come from the online store sales though, created specifically for my members based on the theme of our site and their needs.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 10:21 AM   #21
alteredskate

I added a paypal donation button to my skateboarding site yesterday and I received a $10US donation the same day. I really don't expect many more donations though. Most of my visitors aren't old enough to have a credit card, and it's not likely that their parents will let them use one just to donate to a website.

The donation was from a member of the forums, the forums being the part of the site they probably like the most.
alteredskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 02:40 AM   #22
wsz

Surfing around just now, I found http://www.groundspring.org/ which seems to focus upon non-profit, "socially liberal" types of sites.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

I am a bit wary on the same level that a visitor might be - i.e. I haven't heard of them before.

I think that I will go with the idea of multiple choices, starting with Amazon and PayPal listed first, but I was wondering about this company (either good or bad.)

Thanks...
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote