Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2003, 07:52 AM   #1
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.
Question CJ: "Image redirects"

Hi kids,

I was checking out an advertiser on CJ and noticed the sentence, "Advertiser allows image redirects." Does this mean the advertiser allows hotlinking to their product images? (The advertiser I'm referring to has no products listed on CJ.)

Can someone explain to me what that means, please? Also, does CJ have a directory of what the various advanced options are?

Muchos!
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
maddeningcrowds

I thought it meant you could make your own images (i.e. adverts) and "redirect" the clicks to the CJ advertiser

Whereas other advertisers insist you stick to their creatives.

I could be very wrong....
maddeningcrowds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 07:30 PM   #3
firstmark

Most CJ advertisers support text links.
With text links you literally do get to say whatever you wish and redirect that way.

Personally if a program I use does not support page specific links or requires links to a home page or is primitive I tell visitors exactly how to get to the item via the merchants site step by step. This seems to work very well.
It might look tacky saying click here, look at the left under this and then click there and brose down a bit and here is this item, but it really is helpful and works.
firstmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 07:39 PM   #4
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Thanks for the explanations, guys!

I think what I'm going to do for this merchant and another one with products that would be of great interest to my visitors, is send them an email requesting permission to hot-link to images on their web sites. I don't do well with text descriptions of products. My web sites are very visual and my visitors want to see the product before they click the link.

I've done this with two other merchants and they both gave me permission. It's worked out very well, but it is more labor intensive to link to a URL using a merchant's text link. In fact it can be quite a challenge to find the shortest URL to a product page with some merchants. The other disadvantage is that I never know what products I've sold through a merchant since they all turn up in CJ with the same Link ID number.

But I think now that CJ has created this absurd situation where all new products are "Product Catalog 1" that merchants are more willing to approve the hot-linking option.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:39 PM   #5
Todd_CJ

It means two things actually. One option is to host the image on your servers instead of having CJ serve the image to your web page. Some publishers prefer this because they want to control how the ads load. The other option is that you can use other images (like product images) instead of the supplied creative. Some publishers use this to promote specific products from certain advertisers. You would also need to change the destination URL for the link so it goes to the specific product detail page. Note: some advertisers allow image redirects but not URL redirect, so you may not be able to do this with every advertiser.

Lastly, you may not make your own creative (i.e banners) to promote advertisers. You can only use provided creative that the advertiser has approved or product images from their site. If you want to use unauthorized creatives, you will need to get permission from the advertiser first.

Todd Crawofrd
Commission Junction
Todd_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:40 PM   #6
Rhea

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the explanation! Nice to see you hanging out here in the Village. We're a well-behaved bunch...for the most part.

So Todd, can you share CJ's plans regarding 'Product Catalog 1"? Is CJ looking into alternatives that would give affiliates and merchants better data about products? This has been a very frustrating experience for us and we're all counting on CJ to make some needed changes.

Muchos!
Old 02-28-2003, 06:49 PM   #7
Todd_CJ

I don't think there any upcoming changes to the way the product data feed reporting functions. Is is too difficult to assign a different AID (ad ID) to every (millions) product link so we can report impressions, clicks, sales/leads on each link - that is why we removed them. It slowed down the ad servers and reporting.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:04 AM   #8
Rhea

Hi Todd,

Well, that's disappointing news, but thank you for letting us know what's happening. I hope that some day CJ will find a way to provide us with the product data we need without compromising server speed. I have noticed that since the switch to Product Catalog 1 that product searches are faster.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:55 PM   #9
Todd_CJ

Quote:
I have noticed that since the switch to Product Catalog 1 that product searches are faster.
Yes, this is another benefit from removing individual AIDs from product links.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:04 PM   #10
Timo

Hi Todd,

Thx for dropping by and answering questions. I have one more for you

We have 300-400 product links using the old cj system. Everything seems to be tracking still but I wonder for how long? The idea of going in and replacing all of those links with the new product catalog1 links is not something I look forward to.

thx
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:22 AM   #11
loveleaf

To track products try using the SID option at cj.

after the ? add sid=productname

(productname is almost ANYTHING you want, just keep under 64 characters and there are a few character restrictions see below)

then place an & before url

example:

original link reads:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-1245-10338?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecj%2Ecom

link with tracking description

http://www.qksrv.net/click-1245-10338?sid=widgets&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecj%2Ecom

Just be careful when editing the links. I use it to also track ppc sales , and what page on my site sale came from , as I might use the same link in different places.

For more info check out cj support under sid. some rules are:

The SID can be up to 64 characters, and may include spaces. If spaces, commas, periods or @ symbols are used in the SID, they must be URL-encoded (e.g. %20 for a space, %40 for a @, %2E for a comma).

The following characters are illegal and cannot be used in the SID: " / < > ? \ | * : ' "

Do not set the SID value to 0 (zero).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by loveleaf; 06-09-2003 at 01:24 AM.
loveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:43 AM   #12
Todd_CJ

Quote:
We have 300-400 product links using the old cj system. Everything seems to be tracking still but I wonder for how long? The idea of going in and replacing all of those links with the new product catalog1 links is not something I look forward to.
I would not bet on the links always working. I would put a plan in place to begin replacing them, just to be on the safe side. Product links are not always current and may have been replaced by the advertisers so the links you have may track but may not link to any products that are available or in stock.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:08 AM   #13
Timo

I have quite a few links that go to products that are in and and out of stock so I am sure it happens anyways

About SID#'s

I don't run my products in a database, so I cannot dynamically append an SID#

What I would love to see:

In the get html pop up, in addition to the checkboxes for
choosing site,
pop up in a new window
Hide tracking
Add APPEND SID where SID=CO_Name_Product_Name

Would that be easy to implement?

Tim
Old 06-09-2003, 01:09 PM   #14
Todd_CJ

Quote:
In the get html pop up, in addition to the checkboxes for
choosing site,
pop up in a new window
Hide tracking
Add APPEND SID where SID=CO_Name_Product_Name

Would that be easy to implement?
Good idea.
I will pass it on to prod dev.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:29 PM   #15
Timo

Well i think combining the company name and product name will avoid any duplication in the SID. What would happen with that "catalog company" that keeps coming up in my darn searches Do they carry the same products from different merchants? If so how would the SID go? catalog_company_merchantname_productname

Thanks for taking the input......