Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Website For Sale - Purchase - Barter - Trade
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 02:35 PM   #16
jdsalr

Thanks for your support DJ_B and Gracklor!

People always love to bash a good thing, it is the way of the world!

Other's however, are just uninformed. Once you explain things to them...they understand.

PS....the highest offer is now $8200 from Texas. My mamma always said, "Texans know a good investment when they see one, and it's not always oil"
Old 02-20-2003, 03:16 PM   #17
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Some thoughts

Yes to what the other Geeks said about the "gross multiplier" to arive at a "sales price"

This formula has been used in commercial real estate since the invention of dirt

Iv'e had my "bad hair days" with some other deals posted in this Forum BUT it only takes one or two sales to keep me happy and the fact that we (all of us) provide a free way for legitimate sales to take place is not only rewarding but reinforces our mission. Note: xbox.net just sold in this Forum for 4 figures.

Collectively and per the sticky post at the top of this Forum, we can usally spot other sales that are either less than candid or belong on ebay with the rest of the strange deals

Tips: Again I agree. ALL sales of ALL sites have pluses and minuses. YOUR site and MY site. Folks that drill and harp on nothing but the negative stuff may wish to point their browsers someplace else as it's really not fair to ONLY harp negative and this thread is fine

1. On this deal I would use an escrow. Even if it's your best friend To much money at stake and lots of little issues which are not negatives but might cause a problem without an escrow. I have no direct experience with the following but some of my friends have used them: http://www.escrow.com/

2. Both the buyer and seller need to perfrom "due dilligence" and any legit party never objects to this. The fact that the seller of this deal answers questions in this thread should tell you something As opposed to a drive by listing.

3. You are buying a Community. You are paying for a Community of folks who contribute skins. This issue "cuts" several ways.

a. You can't "poach" or "buy" loyality and return visitors not to mention contributors. Millon dollar companies have tried this with yuky results.

b. The seller should plan on and price a period of time that they will hang around to handle the transition to the new owner. This should be clearly stipulated in the escrow instructions. Time per day, response time, lenght of support, method of support, etc.

c. The php technology/scripts on this site look great. Who will own it, who will support it, lenght, terms, etc?

Edit:

4. Their is nothing wrong with disclosing and taking a "back up" offer. Again, this procedure has been used in real estate for years. Unfortunetly, a lot of deals never close so a back up offer provides a certain degree of protection and motivation to the winning buyer.

Best wishes and good luck.

Last edited by Steve_S; 02-20-2003 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:32 PM   #18
jdsalr

Steve,

Thanks for your input! I agree to just about everything you have said. My site just like yours (which I admire deeply), have been having some of the same folks coming back again and again. Very few sites have a following these days, because most are just out to get you there, rape you, and send you on your merry way.

That's why my favorite site and homepage and email address is Yahoo. They have such great community. My feeling is they are like the internet all in one site. There is something for everyone. Could skinz.org be like them? Possibly. There are over 8000 members. I've added games, a forum, a search engine and more. Could the next owner take the next step? Who knows? It is well on it's way tho.

Also wanted to throw in something here. I used to own the website freegamesonline.com. Which sold very well into the "5 figure" pricerange just last year. The monthly income was about $1300. This was all done without escrow also...just straight paypal....in 48 hours! (just in case anybody needs any references).

Thanks again, Steve!
Old 02-20-2003, 08:15 PM   #19
sfoster

I agree that it would be a great site for anyone to own. I do have a clarifying question.

You mentioned that you currently transfer between 400GB and 500GB of data per month. True?

I have not found a hosting solution dedicated server or co-location where GB transfer rates like you have described do not significantly drive up the costs to run.

DellHost for example would charge $800 per month 330 GB transfer on a dedicated RedHat Linux platform. Windows obviously would be even higher.

Enhanced revenue and website traffic growth would probably also have more costs associated. Do you have any suggestions for keeping the costs down or do you know where one could get a solution that would allow 400 - 700(allowing for growth) GB transfer a month for near your current hosting costs of $175 a month?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2003, 08:30 PM   #20
jdsalr

Quote:
Originally posted by sfoster
I agree that it would be a great site for anyone to own. I do have a clarifying question.

You mentioned that you currently transfer between 400GB and 500GB of data per month. True?
I believe the server we use now handles 600gb, but it may even be more. The fellow who is hosting it for me took care of that. He is really cool, and without him, the site wouldn't be what it is today. I know the server is big enough that he feels I can have all of my websites on it, tho currently I only have two actually on it. It would probably be a smart move to keep it where it is. I have complete 100% control of it, he more or less is the bug fixer, and that sort of stuff. I really would find it hard to believe, if someone could find a better deal on hosting, with this service.

Last edited by jdsalr; 02-20-2003 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:33 AM   #21
jdsalr

Steve,

Hope I am not breaking any rules here. I just wanted to let everybody know that I have updated the site. Everything is now working. The design has changed, and it's new alexa rating is out. It's smoking at 19,987!
Old 02-26-2003, 03:09 PM   #22
jdsalr

Default Steve, Could you lock this thread?

Steve,

I decided to maintain the site. Could you please end this thread? Thanx.
Closed Thread