Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Website For Sale - Purchase - Barter - Trade
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 01:24 AM   #1
jdsalr

Post 5 year old site...100,000+ links for sale!!!

Hi all,

After a long time of contemplating, I have decided to sell my website http://www.skinz.org

The site is over 5 years old.

The site has over 100,000 links according to marketleap.com.

It is featured on sites like windowsmedia.com and about.com.

It averages over 12,000 unique visitors daily. (please don't be mislead by sites claiming to have 30 and 40,000 unique visitors, but yet have an alexa ranking of 100,000 and above) These are truly daily unique visitors.

It has an alexa.com rating of 20,320.

It has a google.com (pr) page rank of 6.

It is currently generating between $600-$1000 monthly thru banner ads, popups, affiliate links, and it's search engine.

The site is done in php.

The site is currently hosted on it's own server for $175/month.

It is currently using between 400 and 500gb of bandwidth.

Hopefully this covers most of the main questions. I am currently only entertaining offers of $8200 and above. Please direct all offers to jdsalr@yahoo.com.

Thanks.

Last edited by jdsalr; 02-20-2003 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:40 AM   #2
mud

I took a look at the whois record and there is no information in it (no contact or anything) which is kinda strange...

Also, over 40% of your traffic comes from one link on:
http://windowsmedia.com/9series/Pers...tion/Skins.asp

It's a nice link, but when that much traffic comes from one source you have to question the longevity of it.

You may have 100,000 links on marketleap.com, however, google.com only shows 944 (a good amount) of which only 369 are not omited as "very similar" results. Which is still very nice.

Just wanted to add some unbiased info for the possible buyers
Old 02-19-2003, 08:20 AM   #3
jdsalr

Mud,

This is a very perceptive observation on your end, and very true. One would equally wonder what it would cost to have such a link on a site with this caliber......

Most webmasters ultimate goal and dream would be to even have their site link to something near as reputable. If you trace the link even further, it will take you directly to msn.com. Not the search engine listing, the actual heart of the site.

Since I have owned this site, the search engine listings have been steadily rising. With the right optimisation, one could equally have as much traffic coming from the search engines, and achieve an alexa rating in the top 10,000! How many people do you know, have sites that rank that high? Geekvillage is one (4707).

Although this is a good observation, the link is over 2 years old and in no jeopardy of being lost. Even without it, the site would still get 7-8k daily visitors. Please do not cheapen the quality of it! You would pay thousands a month, for this traffic alone. Thanks.

PS. not sure what whois you were looking at, but namesecure.com, and 5 other whois database's are showing the record quite clearly. Although I am a big fan of constructive criticism, something as simple as the way a post is worded, without ample research, can be damaging to someone who is trying to sell a website in this price range.

Last edited by jdsalr; 02-19-2003 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:48 AM   #4
Jan

Administrator

Interesting the difference between namesecure:

Nameservers:
NS1.easysitenetwork.com
ns2.easysitenetwork.com

Creation date: 11/25/98 00:00:00
Expiration date: 11/24/03 00:00:00

Registrant Contact:

JA Enterprises (jdsalr@yahoo.com)
717-362-8104
45 Steves Lane
Elizabethville, 17023
US

and www.wwhois.com

Domain ID: D2554973-LROR
Domain NameKINZ.ORG
Created On:25-Nov-1998 05:00:00 UTC
Last Updated On:06-Jan-2003 01:45:22 UTC
Expiration Date:24-Nov-2003 05:00:00 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:R39-LROR
Registrant ID:39-C
Registrant Name:CONTACT NOT AUTHORITATIVE
Registrant Street1:Whois Server:whois.enom.com
Registrant Street2:Referral URL:www.enom.com
Registrant City:N/A
Registrant Postal Code:N/A
Registrant Country:CA
Registrant Email:not@available.org

Why is it so?

<edited to put a space so it wouldn't show >

Last edited by Jan; 02-19-2003 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:13 AM   #5
jdsalr

Jan,

Who knows? Isn't the registrant info, really the important issue? All others are for technical; for example webmaster, merchant, etc. If this seems to be bothersome, I will check it out.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:26 AM   #6
jdsalr

Here are just a handful of registrars portraying the whois correctly. I would say as long as noone else's info is showing up, we are OK!

http://www.enom.com/domains/WHois.as...<br /> <br /> http://betterwhois.com/bwhois.cgi?do....org&x=60&y=16

https://registrar.godaddy.com/whois....in=SKINZ%2EORG

http://www.register.com/whois-result...4a0508cf5a52df

Last edited by jdsalr; 02-19-2003 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:57 PM   #7
mud

Ok, sorry if I sounded as if I was ripping on your offer. A five year old site is nothing to look down upon. And, whoever does buy it will make their money back within a year. It's a good deal. I may have even bought it if I had the money.

BTW, thanks for correcting me on the whois.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:36 PM   #8
jdsalr

That's ok. I'm glad you brought it to my attention. Since I always look at namesecure.com and enom.com, doesn't mean everyone else does. It is weird that the results show up differently at whois.net. I am still hoping to hear something from enom, so maybe I can get it fixed. It definately can be confusing.

Although the site is worth every dime, it is still a lot of money. I expect people to have some skepticism. I see so many people out there with alexa ratings of 500,000 trying to say they get thousands of visitors a day. It just isn't so. Especially newer sites. Truth is, you need at least a steady 500 or more daily unique visitors to even break into the top 100,000. After that, you need to start doubling your traffic to start moving up even a few notches, because that is where the real trafficked sites are. Although there are some exceptions, and these usually retain to older sites that are just starting to be promoted.

My rule of thumb is:

1. check the alexa ranking;
2. check it's link popularity;
3. check it's google rankings; and
4. check the registration date

Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:01 PM   #9
sfoster

I agree that the Alexa ranking is important and very hard to get. However, I thought that they only counted visits from Alexa toolbar users in deriving a ranking. That is why Alexa.com is very highly ranked in there system

Therefore when evaluating sites I definately view the Alexa ranking but do not depend on it exclusively especially if seeking broadbased traffic.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:26 PM   #10
jdsalr

sfoster,

You are definately correct in your assumption. That is why a good mix of the four ingrediants I stated above, works hand in hand. To rely solely on one aspect, can get you in trouble.

Although there are many more aspects to consider with any developed site, I believe high rankings of these four combined, can definately give an investor some peace of mind.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:32 PM   #11
Browsehosts

I am very interested in this site, but don't understand how a 7,500 asking price can be justified with a $400-800/month profit ?

At that rate it would take me 1 full year just to make back what i paid. Sites usually go for 3-6 times what they pull in monthly.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:11 PM   #12
Gracklor

Question

What was that formula Steve is always talking about? Didn't it involve multiplying the monthly income by 12, or something like that?
Old 02-20-2003, 02:11 PM   #13
DJ_B

It seems people love to focus on the shortcomings of a site, rather then where it really shines I don't think such criticism is needed especially when it comes from a respected website, which by all appearances appears to be a great honest buy.

The cost of the site based 12 months of income seems more then fair to me. I can't recall a site of this calibre being sold based on 3-6 months income on GeekVillage. In fact, if you take a look at most of the threads in this forum you will see the word "potential income" come up quite often.

I'm sure you wont have troubles finding a buyer.

Good luck!

Last edited by DJ_B; 02-20-2003 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:14 PM   #14
DJ_B

Great minds think alike, eh Gracklor?

I think most standard formulas for evaluating a sites value are actually based on 24-36 months income...though I could be wrong.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:25 PM   #15
jdsalr

Quote:
Originally posted by Browsehosts
I am very interested in this site, but don't understand how a 7,500 asking price can be justified with a $400-800/month profit ?

At that rate it would take me 1 full year just to make back what i paid. Sites usually go for 3-6 times what they pull in monthly.
I can sorta understand where you are coming from. I can also give you a very good reason.

First, I actually own and operate 7 other sites, which definately keep me busy. My problem is that I just don't spend enough time researching different ways to earn revenue. You must understand that there are tons of ways one can make money. I have incorporated a few, but there are some big ones. For example, you can offer advertising. Do you know what some people are willing to pay for a text ad? I've seen them as high as $300-$500 a month. What if you sold 2 spots? Another example is banner impressions. The banners I use are supplied by cj.com, and they do generate income, however, what if you offered other businesses a chance to put a banner on your site? I've seen these as high as $12 per thousand impressions. This site had almost 3 MILLION pageviews last month. That's 3 million impressions....you do the math.

When you are investing in a website, you must not so much take it for what it is, but more for what it can be. I can honestly tell you that to get the amount of traffic this site has, and to be linked to the sites it is linked to, would literally cost THOUSANDS A MONTH. Take a look around at places that are selling TARGETED traffic once, and see how much they charge for one day's worth that this site gets. Plus remember, you really have no way of telling if their traffic really is targeted. But bet your bottom dollar that when someone clicks on skinz.org, it is because they are looking for skins, themes, and wallpapers!

Well, I hope this helps you understand a little bit. I'm sure there are even more ways to generate income if you research a bit. If you are looking for less expensive sites that are making ok money, email me.

Last edited by jdsalr; 02-20-2003 at 02:39 PM.
Closed Thread