Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2002, 02:37 PM   #1
Darryl

Default AllPosters.com SPAM

I just got this email from AllPosters.com:

Quote:
Hello!

My name is Jitka Mansfeldova and I'm writing to you from AllPosters.com - The World's Largest Poster and Print Store. I noticed that you are linking to other websites and I thought that you might be interested in joining our Affiliates Program. You can earn up to 25% commission on all sales from your website; plus you can choose from over 100,000 images to add to your site for free.

Below are some examples of our posters.

(poster images)

The affiliates program is absolutely free to join. As an affiliate, you can link to our site and earn between 20% and 25% of every sale you make. Our top affiliates earn thousands of dollars in commission each month.

The way it works is that you display poster images and links on your site. When users click on your links to AllPosters.com and make a purchase, you earn commission on the sale.

Building links is easy and it will take you only a few minutes to sign up.
Click here to join now!

I'm looking forward to working with you!

Sincerely,
Jitka

Jitka Mansfeldova
Affiliates Program Manager
AllPosters.com
The World's Largest Poster and Print Store
Email: affiliates@allposters.com
Tel: (510) 740-1310
http://www.allposters.com

P.S. I'm sending you this invitation because your e-mail address is listed for contact at http://darrylballantyne.com/. Please click on the link below to remove yourself from any further invitations:
Remove Me
Now, as you can imagine, this email ensures that I will never, EVER, work with AllPosters.com.

It's amazing - even the "Remove Me" link points to a file called "RecruitMailTracker.asp".

Not to mention the fact that they reference my personal website, which is the last place I'd be looking to place ads.

I have nothing against sending emails to recruit people into programs (I've done it myself) - but each one should be tailored to the site and should actually BE personal. Spam like this only makes the company look bad. Real bad. I'd advise people to stay away from AllPosters - if for no other reason than to not condone a spammer.
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 02:55 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Points taken and I just got the same email

What I have started doing is responding in some cases with my boilerplate "advertise here via CPM" text which is rather detailed.

I just change the name in Hello xxx and the rest begins with a thank you and then my pitch. Takes about 20 seconds. I'm curious to see if this procedure will help sales. Natch, 75% of this kind of email is not worth a response.

The Hello Funky Duck name and thank you for the enclosed "advertising inquiry" IMHO inusres at least a quick read.

Our Rules take care of any instances where "they" continue to email me
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 03:11 PM   #3
jkcity

hehe I got one from his as well but slightly different, I knwo he visited my site though he included screen shots of one of my competitors using allposters links.

I think getting these is ok though as its better than half the other emails I get and it least its about something I can at least read.

I guess this guy is a very busy person, I wonder if it has got anyone to sign up though , I think he might have swayed me into signing up but any spare traffic I have goes to amazon at the momant .

--------------------------------------

Hello,

My name is Jitka Mansfeldova and I'm writing to you from AllPosters.com - The World's Largest Poster and Print Store. We are interested in becoming your e-commerce partner and would like to introduce ourselves to you.

We are the largest online poster and print retailer carrying over 100,000 products in movies, music, fine art, sports, and photography categories.
We are among the top 1,000 sites on the Internet based on traffic.
We are among the top 50 online retailers.
Over the last 4 years, we have established good rapport in addition to successful partnerships with large websites and portals such as IMCHAOS.com, Yahoo!, AltaVista, Reel.com, Hollywood.com, Fandango, Audiogalaxy, Rotten Tomatoes, and many others.

We are interested in having a text link in the AIM profiles. We have a same arrangement with IMChaos.com and they are have been earning thousands of dollars in commission each month (see attached mockup).

Thank you for considering this partnership opportunity. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss it further.

Best Regards,

Jitka
Jitka Mansfeldova
Marketing Manager
AllPosters.com

Email: jmansfeldova@allposters.com
Phone: (510)740-1302

http://www.allposters.com
The World's Largest Poster and Print Store
jkcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 03:20 PM   #4
Darryl

The email you got, jkcity, is what I would expect a good company to give - those are the kind of emails I support and encourage. I don't consider your email spam.

What Steve and I got, on the other hand...

I, for one, replied to the email as follows:
Quote:
Why? Why, why, why? Why would you send spam like this?

AllPosters.com, until now, had a good reputation. Now you've gone and ruined it by becoming the lowest of the low - a spammer. This doesn't make sense - someone over there needs to get their head checked.

If you're going to try to recruit people through email, don't do it via a pathetic program that looks for contact information and sends out this hideous email. Do it on a personal level. Don't send HTML email. Say "Hi Darryl, we saw your music site at LyricFind.com, and thought you might be interested in our program." (Coincidentally, your spam referenced my personal site, which carries no advertising).

Make it personal and targeted - you'll get better results, and you'll avoid all the flak that you deserve for spamming.

I've started a thread here:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=19606

...that you may want to read.

Sincerely,

Darryl Ballantyne
...and sent a copy of it to a few other addresses, as well.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:44 PM   #5
FWT

Default email

I got the same email!

How do they get our emails anyway?
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
Nintendo

:::How do they get our emails anyway?

That answer can be found in the E-mail. They visit your site and then E-mail you.

:::P.S. I'm sending you this invitation because your e-mail address is listed for contact at
http://www.YOUR-DOMAIN.com/
Old 12-12-2002, 08:32 PM   #7
Darryl

A reply to my reply:
Quote:
Hi Darryl,

Thank you for your email and I apologize for the inconvenience.

AllPosters.com contacts websites that we believe will be interested in our affiliates program and excludes a broad majority of websites since there is no indication that they will be interested in our affiliates program. We contact webmasters that provide their contact information on their website to be contacted about topics related to their websites. As part of our email we include information about our affiliates program, state that the program is run by AllPosters.com, and give the ability to opt-out from any future mailing.

I, once again, apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Have a Happy Holiday!

Best,
Michelle Dietrich
In short, they essentially told me nothing.

My response:
Quote:
What would really make me happy would be if you a) stopped sending out your spam, and b) issued a public apology for your spamming.

Do that, and then maybe you can save some face. Until then, you're still spamming scum who deserve to be run out of business.

Darryl
Old 12-13-2002, 01:05 AM   #8
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by jkcity

We are interested in having a text link in the AIM profiles. We have a same arrangement with IMChaos.com and they are have been earning thousands of dollars in commission each month (see attached mockup).
Best Regards,

Jitka
Jitka Mansfeldova
Marketing Manager
AllPosters.com
Wow. What concerns me most about this whole situation is not that AllPosters have been spamming (I get at least 5 unsolicited pitch-mails from them prior to each major holiday or major movie release - and I'm already one of their affiliates), but that in the one example of a personal email that they sent, they've divulged sensitive financial details concerning one of their affiliates.

I know that if this were me having my earnings broadcast to several of my competitors, I would be most upset - to the brink of litigation.

Interesting, too, that the webmaster of IMChaos also happens to be a Geek/Talk member. I'd be fascinated to hear his spin on the situation and find out whether or not AllPosters explicitly requested permission before opening a third-party's books in this fashion...

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 01:23 AM   #9
Darryl

Excellent point - I hadn't thought of that. I, too, am curious as to the IMChaos side of the story...
Old 01-08-2003, 11:28 AM   #10
pdawg

wow,

I just read this post and had no idea this was happening.

I'm trying to gather some more information to determine if action needs to be taken.

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens, if anyone has more information than what was posted in the thread could you send it to me?

thanks guys
pdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 03:54 PM   #11
Just some Webjunky

I use them, they are a good source of revenue. Whats your definition of spam, it seems like they are looking for certain types of sites that fit different poster categories, but thats just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Just some Webjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 05:09 PM   #12
Steve_S

Perhaps and hopefully member AllPosters can post to this thread and clarify ths issue under discussion.

See:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=15734

Play nice
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 02:33 PM   #13
darnell

All I know is that I've already used my Anti-Spam SW to report them as sending SPAM. If they want to attract web site owners, they need to advertise on a site that web site owners use. I wonder who would be good to use??... (geekvillage.com of course)

These spammers are misusing money that could go into your pocket Steve .

Write your legislators to have them make anti-SPAM legislation for your area.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 09:44 PM   #14
firstmark

I doubt general anti spam legislation is going to help anyone.
Serious spammers will sent from offshore servers and all that will happen is a few webmasters who sent link request offers or other targeted offers will get in trouble for spam.
Some anti spam extremists try to take things to the extreme and that helps no one.
firstmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 10:23 PM   #15
jkcity

I don't know wether I would call allposters emails spam I mean ho9w many of us have advertising inquiry info on our sites? it may not be the type of inquiry we where looking for, but if all posters had sent a message to each of us offering $3 a cpm to run there ads how many of you would still be complaing?
jkcity is offline   Reply With Quote