Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2002, 01:48 PM   #61
lmergen

Quote:
Originally posted by BlazeBox
Only people who do not interact with online ads will be tempted to install and use pop-blockers. Since these people are not valuable to advertisers, advertising results will increase since ads are being shown to a smaller, yet more responsive group of internet users, ultimately raising CPM and maybe even bringing in more than just a compensation for the lost impressions.
I do not agree with this. Many of the banner advertisements also take care of branding. When a person doens't WANT to see the ad, it doesn't mean he DOESN'T see the ad. And, if you target the ads well enough, the advertisement probably even interrests the person.

I can easily take a site like www.mpogd.com as an example. It's a list of online games. That site has ONLY targetted advertisements (highly targetted) and I have advertised for 2 months on that site and got a 4.3% CTR with a standard animated gif. Yet, they still have many people that use an ad-blocker just because OTHER sites feature advertisements that do not interrest them.

Quote:
Sidenote: I couldn't make up whether *all* Earthlink members will automatically block pops, so I'm not sure whether this idea is applicable on this situation.
I believe they defaultly block all sites, and you can manually allow a site/zone to display pop-ups.
lmergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 02:06 PM   #62
tonyd203

I believe that if pop-killer software detects the java script associated with the pop, the logic that most ad networks have to not count until the pop is fully loaded or has a delayed count should kick in to still count correctly, however this does reduce ones revenue ...

my 2 cents worth
tonyd203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 03:48 PM   #63
lmergen

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyd203
I believe that if pop-killer software detects the java script associated with the pop, the logic that most ad networks have to not count until the pop is fully loaded or has a delayed count should kick in to still count correctly, however this does reduce ones revenue ...
Currently, a pop-up blocker checks each javascript executed. So for example, it fetches the remote javascript of an ad agency. Then it checks if it is a pop-up, if so, remove the pop-up code.

The ad agency does not count the ad requests, but rather counts the load of the pop-up. I am not sure if all images are included in this, but I do know that in most cases the HTML code for the pop-up itself is included in this.

Any professional who does know this?
Old 08-21-2002, 04:09 PM   #64
Scuba

Not clean and nice to do but one can print all of the material in the site using JavaScript, PopUp's, and banner code included.
Make so much JS code that the blocker will not be able to destinguish the real code from the PopUp one.
also there will probably a need to use ad proxy servers that will make the graphics show as they come from the site and not a ad network.

It will be a long battle, but in most cases, if some one will try a ad blocker and be hit with not loading sites, he will dump the blocker very fast.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:27 AM   #65
Hiccups

"It prevents new windows from spawning, and users have the ability to turn it on or off because there are some sites where the user may want pop-up ads," Anderson said. "It is specifically aimed at consumers who would like to regain control of their Internet experience."

Is it really that good an idea to block ALL Earthlink users considering that some of them may not even have it turned on?
Hiccups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:36 AM   #66
lmergen

Offcourse it isn't a good idea to block all earthlink users...

I mean, just because they don't see any pop-ups, doesn't mean they don't see any advertisements. Especially not if being earthlink doesn't mean not seeing any pop-ups.

I think just using an anti-ad blocker is far more effective...
Old 08-22-2002, 09:42 AM   #67
Wiggum

Exclamation Class Action Suit

I am currently in discussions with a leading copyright attorney regarding this issue. We are planning to file a class-action suit against several of the software companies who produce pop-up blockers.

The success of this suit will largely depend on getting other web publishers or ad networks to join us in the class action. If you are interested in participating or would like more information, please send me a private message.

The suit will require little time on your part and no fee.

Feel free to extend this invitation where applicable.
Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:23 AM   #68
maddeningcrowds

> Offcourse it isn't a good idea to block all earthlink users...

Well no it might be a good idea, because if you point them to a page explaining why you're blocking them and listing Earthlinks contact details, this would put a lot of pressure on Earthlink to remove the program from their offering.
maddeningcrowds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 01:02 PM   #69
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

>>>>>>>>
Well no it might be a good idea, because if you point them to a page explaining why you're blocking them and listing Earthlinks contact details, this would put a lot of pressure on Earthlink to remove the program from their offering.
>>>>>>>>>

Exactly. A polite message stating: Earthlink cannot properly display this website. Please contact Earthlink customer support at 800-719-4660 or email support@earthlink.com.

Simple, polite, truthful, and to the point.

Earthlinks surfers are not going to make or break anyone. But you're sliding down a very slippery slope if web publishers start to allow ISP's to determine if and how they will be able to generate income.

Last edited by Robert from SI; 08-22-2002 at 02:07 PM.
Robert from SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 02:29 PM   #70
Robert from SI

These appear to be all of Earthlink's IP blocks:

207.217.0.0 --> 207.217.255.255
209.179.0.0 --> 209.179.255.255
207.69.0.0 --> 207.69.255.255
Old 08-22-2002, 02:45 PM   #71
Steve_S

Our data for members email of record with this BB:

earthlink: 44 members
msn: 33
aol: 296

I suspect that those of you who run much largers forums and or membership sites would have different numbers/% Even opt-in list data could be usefull. We must have millions of these

Can you please share these with us?
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:08 PM   #72
havaloc

Default Re: Class Action Suit

Why sue? Why not just adapt? There is a technological solution to this 'problem'.

If you sue, you just bring publicity to the cause and more users will say, 'hey, that's a good idea, blocking pop up ads!'

Look no further than to the music industry, who sued Napster, and basically accomplished nothing, but piqued the interests of many people out there and created the file sharing movement.

Flash forward to this week. Before the RIAA sued ISPs to cut off access to listen4ever, I had never heard of that site.

Since the music industry doesn't adapt, they'll soon be obsolete, as will publishers who don't adapt. You can't sue because the business model is changing. The consumer/customer is king and they are speaking. Are you listening?

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggum
I am currently in discussions with a leading copyright attorney regarding this issue. We are planning to file a class-action suit
havaloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:27 PM   #73
jnestor

There are two problems with blocking EarthLink users:

1) EarthLink isn't blocking pops. They are just making software available to their customers that blocks pops. This is a very important distinction that seems to be lost on many here.

2) No everyone who uses EarthLink will be using the software.

On another note there was an interesting Washington Post article about this all: The perils of an ad free web.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Aug21.html

At least the author acknowledges that there will be consequences to reducing the advertising dollars that publishers can earn. And it's pretty ironic that you'll most likely get a pop-under when you go to read the article.

John
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:16 PM   #74
Wiggum

Quote:
Why sue? Why not just adapt? There is a technological solution to this 'problem'.
Adapt? So what happens when all ADs are blocked - further adaption?

If someone were systematically tearing out ads from magazines do you think that industry would simply "adapt" to the problem?

Last edited by Wiggum; 08-22-2002 at 06:02 PM.
Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 06:09 PM   #75
Polar

I read on the Earthlink site that their pop-up blocker had a feature that would allow you to view thumbnails of the blocked pop-up windows. This means that the pop-up windows are actually loaded, they just aren't being shown to the surfer. Doesn't this mean that the web publisher would be credited the pop-up (if CPM), and that it would be the loss of the ad network / advertiser?
Polar is offline   Reply With Quote