Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2001, 07:21 PM   #16
suresk

Robert: The program looks great, good luck!

I could have used this a while back. In the past few months, I've helped several family members and a few friends find a cell phone plan - too bad I gave AT&T a bunch of free referrals instead of picking up a few bucks for referring them to your program
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 08:29 PM   #17
Chet

Default Re: Re: New CPA program from Standard Internet Corp.

Quote:
Originally posted by AztecSummer
Looks Solid!
Question: How does one Sell a Free phone?
You are actually selling the service that goes with it. The free cell phone is just the catch. A good deal though
Old 07-24-2001, 08:38 PM   #18
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Talking

People get the phone for free. In return, they pay for the monthly service!!!

One question, is it OK to promote our affiliet URL on pay-per-click search engines?

Last edited by Nintendo; 07-24-2001 at 08:46 PM.
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 09:16 PM   #19
Lil_Red

Robert,

Please excuse me if I am out of line but the website really troubles me. I have to enter my name and address and such to find out what rates apply to my area. Once I see the rates, there is nowhere to get a more detailed listing of what is offered. It immediately jumps to a page that wants significantly more personal information than I would ever give over just to find out more information. You also had nonclickable links to a number of the local cell phone companies for my area. These are also PCS phones which operate quite a bit differently than standard cell phones but this information is not clearly laid out to the potential buyer.

I'm sure this is simply because the site is new and these details have not been worked out but being a long time cell phone user, it worried me.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 09:20 PM   #20
Robert from SI

Back from the Phillies game...I'll try to answer your questions...

-You are absolutely allowed (and encouraged) to sign up your friends and family. The first 40 or so phones we sold during our test phase were all to employees and our familes.

-You can even get credit for a sale if you just switch to one of our service plans. If you're happy with your current phone just keep it and you'll still get credit for a sale.

-The site is set up the way it is (asking info before showing the plans) because that closes the most sales. As I said earlier, we send thru about 300 applications/day from our own traffic. We tried all different combinations and the way it's set up now produced the best closing ratios.

-The plans vary constantly. What is offered today may vary slightly from what is offered tomorrow (the price points stay fixed). In some areas we even offer the customer multiple plans at the same price. Usually younger folks go for unlimited off peak and weekend time while older folks want more free peak minutes.
Old 07-25-2001, 08:26 AM   #21
Robert from SI

AztecSummer,

It'll be around....don't worry.

Also...very good news: We are close to finalizing a deal with one of our carriers who will GUARANTEE acceptance to any 18 to 24 yr. olds who do not yet have credit. This should be great for sites with a younger demographic.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:44 AM   #22
Lil_Red

Robert,

You have not answered my questions regarding this cellphone promotion. I honestly cannot promote this without clarification of these issues.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2001, 10:02 AM   #23
Robert from SI

Lil Red,

I overlooked your questions but answered one of them above.

-They are not PCS phones. They are standard dual mode phones. (analog and digital). They are the norm.

http://www.nokiausa.com/beauty/1,2498,58,FF.html

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin...nbr=1&zipcode=

http://www.ericsson.com/consumers/sp...&G_link=MPLink

--The site is set up the way it is (asking info before showing the plans) because that closes the most sales. As I said earlier, we send thru about 300 applications/day from our own traffic. We tried all different combinations and the way it's set up now produced the best closing ratios.

Last edited by Robert from SI; 07-25-2001 at 10:10 AM.
Robert from SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 10:36 AM   #24
Lil_Red

I looked up the Startac at Motorola's website and according to their website the Startac you list is a PCS phone.

Thanks for the additional info. I think I'll pass since I strongly disagree with the methodology being used to promote the program. It may close the most sales but it's like the telemarketers who trick you into agreeing to something. You spend the next 3 months disputing the charges on your credit card.
Old 07-25-2001, 10:52 AM   #25
Gracklor

It may also depend on which company you sign up with. A StarTAC signed onto a Sprint plan may be a PCS phone, but my StarTAC is definitely a dual-mode. (My plan is with Verizon.)
Gracklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 11:11 AM   #26
suresk

The particular StarTac I saw on the website was definitely a TDMA dual-mode phone. The V.8162, Timeport and Talkabout are PCS phones. Motorola makes dozens of StarTac phones, you sure you're looking at the right one?

At any rate - what is the big disadvantage of PCS? I always thought PCS had better quality and more features, just less coverage, as its only digital. This isn't a big issue in most areas (especially metropolitan areas), and digital towers are being built daily it seems. If I'm missing something, let me know.
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 02:08 PM   #27
JJJay

Default clickhereforcellphones.com

Hey guys just made my first sale and I still got another 4 applications pending. Since the referral fee per sale is $37 I reckon that clears the minimum of $25 set by SI The following text is taken from SIs FAQ.

Q: What is the minimum payment and what happens if I don't reach the minimum?
A: The minimum payment is $25.00 and your earnings will "roll over" each month until you cross the $25.00 limit.

BTW my website content and traffic is not specifically (has nothing at all to do with cell phones) cell phone targeted, my website deals with typography and free fonts so I'm sure this affiliate program could work well with with all types of websites. I'm going to push this program as far as I can.

PS : If Robert from SI reads this could you do me a favor and get my allclicks application pushed through, thanks for cell phone program it looks like you guys have another winner on your hands
JJJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 02:25 PM   #28
Robert from SI

Aztec,

The stats are in real time, all clicks are recorded as "text links"

Since the program pays on sales we don't have seperate code to track different types of clicks.

LilRed,

You're mistaken.

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin...nbr=1&zipcode=

Also, the customer does not put their credit card info in until they make a plan selection. There is no way to "trick someone" and begin billing them.
Old 07-25-2001, 02:28 PM   #29
PWR_Paul_Banker

Is it okay to refer ourselves if we want one of these phones or is that against the TOS?
PWR_Paul_Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 02:35 PM   #30
Robert from SI

You're welcome to refer yourself, your family, pets, imaginary friends, whatever you like.