Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2001, 08:59 AM   #16
kris
Member.

Cool

wow.. some nice success stories here.. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

i have earned quite a lot of money on the net (obviously not as much as you guys) but more than i ever thought possible.

i didnt go overboard with the money. Im only 19 so i dont have to buy a house or antyhing. i bought myself a new car (VW Jetta) and the rest goes to my 2 yrs old daughter. Im going to save some $, get my girlfriend a ring and pop the question this summer. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 09:03 AM   #17
KP of Snooply
Member.

Unhappy

I can't wait to get my 2 12" MTX subs in the beamer!! Warm weather, Girls, oops already have one http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif And SNOOPLY on the license plate! Gotta love it!

I'm living with my parents, a house is not the investment i need right now! I have enough money to buy a luxury car and still goto school. I'm safe http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Kaumil Patel
Snooply.com - We Snoop. You Find.
KP of Snooply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 10:18 AM   #18
cheatindex

Unhappy

I've managed to save enough to not only fork over close to 200K for a part of my family's new house, but still have enough to buy a new car, and live life easily.

Things have changed as of late with the economic slowdown, but with most of my major purchases over with, all remaining cash flow basically goes towards my tuition.

And at 17, having money for a better education is on top of my to do list. With the Canadian dollar being as low as it is, and my neighborhood being as lowend as it is, I have also managed to gain respect from friends and family who thought it would never work out.
cheatindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 12:37 PM   #19
ch3m
Member.

Question

Michael: How are you making that much from your icon site :-) I run an online entertainment type magazine site that gets 3,000,000+ impressions / month and it's making me a whopping $200 from Engage Media. My other sites 4FreeCards.com and FunJail.com on the other hand make very, very good cash. But, from the looks of it, your icon site relies on the same type of advertising as my other site, so what's the secret? Popups? Search Boxes?
ch3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 01:17 PM   #20
TemporaryID

Unhappy

You are right 4evergames, even I'm 24 and feel very very old when reading the post from the kids out here.

Anyways, I started my website abt 2 years back, I don't know where all my money has gone, but I calculated and alltogether I made $50,000 in this 2 years, after tax. Isn't that great.

Well, I'm still able to pull around $1000 every month, but its going downfall every month. Just trying to hang-on.

BTW there are some Indians on this board, so am I. Good to hear from y'all.

TemporaryID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 02:28 PM   #21
gallery

Unhappy

Hey I'm 32 :-) AM I too old ?

The net is great and I still make way more on the net than with my day job which is not too bad.

------------------
www.aliassoftware.com : a great search and replace software designed for webmasters needing to update tons of web pages at once.
A lot of features to maintain your ad codes, search boxes ...
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 04:06 PM   #22
Knut

Cool

Very inspirational thread :-)

I'm 24.

I started doing this part-time a little over a year ago. Before that I spent quite some time at probably all the good "website marketing and money-making" sites and lists, and lurked in the various forums to learn what worked and what didn't.

At that time, my goal was to be able to make a full-time living on the net within a year.

Since then I've seen a nice steady growth in traffic and income, both has consistently been growing every month (even through these hard times)

I now make enough to be able to do this full-time, but I have a "backup day job" available, if things go wrong :-)

Like Czar, my main motivation for going this route is the freedom, flexibility and fun the web provides. :-)

Oh, and so far, I've put most of the money I make back into the business, so I don't have much to "show off" yet. I'm planning to continue doing this to make my growth "exponential" :-)

I have some pretty ambitious goals on where I want to be in a year, and it can't be done without investing some money :-)
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 11:15 PM   #23
FWT

Cool

You guys make me feel old and I'm only 24!

Cool Thread! You all have some great stories.

I've been experimenting with different website businesses for about 4 years now.

I've gone from an online nutrition business, to a webmaster resource site, to a magazines site, to a website promotion site, to a web design site, and now to a game site and more.

My design site http://www.all-websolutions just got to be to much of a pain to run and I still have more techniques to learn in the design area. Plus I'm one person and in school. I have a merchant account and all but don't even use it right now.

Next I thought I might be able to make some money in the website promotion business. Started the site 4-promotion.com but gave up on it to soon as I really was not into it. Didnt really even promote my own website promotion site.

Now I started http://www.4evergames.com about 3 months ago. Went from about 20,000 page views the first month, 40,000 the second and now 80,000 the third. Hopefully I can keep it increasing (and I just got listed in DMOZ and have not paid for Yahoo or LookSmart yet). On this site I'm up to about $150 a month. And the funny thing is that this is just a "fun/hobby" site. In the past two years I made about $10,000 from designing and selling sites (but I'm not doing that anymore).

I made about $100 a month from http://www.expressmagazines.com but sold that site.

My goal was to be able to work from home while I finish up college but that still is not close to happening yet (I only have 1 year left on my IT degree and I'm running out of time on that one http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif ).

I guess you can say I've been very persistant. 4 years know and still no big money..

BUT, I'm having fun! I think that is all that really matters. The money is just a very nice bonus. But I will say that if I knew I would never make any money doing this, I would would be spending much less time doing it. I'm still optimistic about the future.

My Question To You...!

Many of you (almost all) seem to doing very well (Although maybe the people that are not doing so good just are not posting).

You also have many sites (for instance, xuniverse, I know you have many sites. Also czar).

1A. But which of these sites are the ones making you this money??

1B. And how much is that particular site making?

2. Which of your sites are not making much money (yet)??

3. How old is that particular site?

4. Where does the majority of that money come from? Selling your own products? A particular affiliate program?

I would be very curious to know.

Tim http://www.4evergames.com
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 11:42 PM   #24
Kaiosama

Unhappy

The other 16 year old here. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif Well, I've been in this arena for about a year and 2 months. Had several sites as hobbies. Never cared about the money part till about 4 months ago. I make about $230 with CJ and Goclick combined per month with my site (over 300 content filled pages) www.dbzn.net. Right now I only spend "free" time on it. Hopefully after the finals are over I will have more time to do these things.

Also my money lets me save up for things like tuition which will have to pay for in about 2 years. I also pay for my $40 dollar net connection (cable) and $30 dollars for hosting.

Hopefully I will be able to double the amount in 3 months! Pretty good for something I'd volunteer to do for no cash, eh?

[This message has been edited by Kaiosama (edited 04-24-2001).]
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 04:39 AM   #25
Lil_Red

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by kris:
wow.. some nice success stories here.. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

i have earned quite a lot of money on the net (obviously not as much as you guys) but more than i ever thought possible.

i didnt go overboard with the money. Im only 19 so i dont have to buy a house or antyhing. i bought myself a new car (VW Jetta) and the rest goes to my 2 yrs old daughter. Im going to save some $, get my girlfriend a ring and pop the question this summer. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Congrats! May you and your girl have a long and happy life together!

------------------
Webmaster
http://server.com
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 07:33 AM   #26
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Unhappy

Though I'm fairly new to the web, I have made a bit of money from it - and also from doing graphics etc for other sites.

As mine is a second income, I'm not under much pressure. I don't mind waiting it out - maintaining respectable traffic flow - until things improve.

On the topic of cars (kinda) - and after reading Roberts post....just sold my Harley - and bought a Mini Van (NOW who's feeling old..lol)...Good thing was it hadn't depreciated a dime since I bought it.
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 09:06 AM   #27
SSacobie

Unhappy

I agree with Robert. This has been a very difficult time, but it's also been a learning experience. It's no longer "put up a web site and you'll make money." That mentality is what got us into this mess in the first place. It's about attempting to be at least slightly more intelligent than that.

What cheatindex mentioned about respect is also something I've noticed.

We're focused on entertainment. That means that back in the day, all the sites were making a lot of money, and now, most of the sites aren't making much money. This is the segment that's been particularly brutalized of late. The money has always come primarily from banner ad revenues, and that's been through pretty much every major ad network over the years. I've found that most of these other ad types are mostly a waste of time and space. However, I am very much looking forward to the rollout of the new, larger ads that may ultimately replace banners.
SSacobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 10:17 AM   #28
dbcooper

Unhappy

First, you guys think you're old at 24? I'm 51. My web company's sites (spun off as a privately held travel and real estate webzine in '96) grossed $50k last year and will do at least that in 2001. Less than 10% of the income comes from banners, so I don't have much exposure there. It's a 99.9% virtual business -no employees- so expenses are around $9k per year, $3k of that for my inventory of domains (I collect, many are dormant) and the rest for a dedicated server. The webzine now provides over 60% of the clients for my real estate firm, and the number of requests for information are so large that we sell the lists to our competitors. The web is a HUGE resource for that business, so large that I would continue to run the network of sites even if it were not producing income on its own.

Happily, we reached 'critical mass' a few years ago and I now get offers of free content from professional authors, photo-journalists, and magazine and book publishers seeking web exposure. I have evolved from 'do-everything-man' to a more editor-like position, choosing content we'll host or even making my wish-list known and asking others to develop it in return for cross-promotion.

What else has the internet done for me? Besides the money, the travel perks on the company's tab, the laptops, etc., I consult on web-related tourism, retirement, and relocation issues for numerous local, regional, and state organizations. The sites are referenced in numerous magazines and travel brochures --thousands of dollars worth of advertising, FREE.

About a year ago, I fell in with a rough crowd -professional SEOers- and found myself installed as co-admin on what has become an internationally acclaimed board for search engine optimization and professional webmastering. The experience (and exposure) I've gained there has been incredible.

This is a GREAT business to be in!

As for cars, I've been frittering my money away on those for years, so I can't blame it on the web.
dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 04:07 PM   #29
badassbuddy

Talking

ch3m,

My revenue comes from CJ, FriendFinder, ExitFuel, and third-party CPM-based advertising.

That's about it http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

I was invited to be in the Netshelter Network, but I believe they want exclusivity which I'm not particularly fond of.

Regards,
Michael
badassbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 05:21 PM   #30
Ex

Cool

Gosh..what a mixture of people here. One thing I like about the internet is that age,*** and race doesn't matter.

I'm 24 this year and I've been running my anime site for like 5 yrs part time. During the good time (5yrs back) I was making enough to live a little bit more luxurious than other people. Time now are a little different. Breaking even is a relief everymonth.

Other than that, the internet has opened my eyes to more things, more experience, a gateway which I can propelled upon, a dimension where I can release my frustration without actually showing the dark side of me. But most of all, it brought me good friends who teaches me everything I need to know about the internet.

So I'm making no money now, have a good pay day job, why am I bothering with the online world? I have one belief, the internet will bounce back, not as good as before, but better.

------------------
Ex
Anime Genesis dot Com - Anime Entertainment Channel
EmailGirl Network- Internet Girl Network
Ex is offline   Reply With Quote