Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2003, 12:45 PM   #1
gophergas

Default CJ -- most profitable advertisers

I've been with CJ for well over a year, but I haven't made a whole lot of money from them. And although I've asked for help, all CJ was willing to give me was the EPC numbers -- not a CTR.

If you don't mind telling, what are some of your most profitable advertisers, and what sort of banners/links are you using on your sites to attract click-throughs?

tia
-gopher
gophergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:16 PM   #2
jnestor

It's going to vary so widely depending on your site's content that your question is pretty much impossible to answer. You might want to mention your content area and see if people with similar content are willing to respond. Probably a better solution is to find so well established sites in the same area and see what ads they're running.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:14 PM   #3
gophergas

My site is pretty much devoted to humor, games, flash movies and other fun stuff (Gophergas.com ). As such, it's got a very broad demographic.

I'm really just interested in learning what CJ ads and ad styles are working well for other publishers.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:33 PM   #4
Ariakas

EBay is the only CJ advertiser than has ever performed for me.
Ariakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:36 PM   #5
gophergas

What type of banners do you use with ebay? I pretty much rely on 120x600 and 468x60 right now, but I can probably stick in a superbanner now that Fastclick offers that option.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:17 PM   #6
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

I have humor sites and did not do well with banner ads. I've had much better success by placing one content targetted product on each fun page (with description) and a link to a sales page on my site that has multiple content targetted products on it. It's a lot of work that way but it's profitable.

Good luck!
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 11:38 PM   #7
gophergas

I might give that a try... what kinds of products are you selling, and what program are you getting them through?

Also, anyone else have a high-performing advertiser with CJ?
Old 11-13-2003, 12:00 AM   #8
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Gophergas! I'm not going to post my best merchants here where the unwashed (and unregistered) can grab the info! But if you'd like to know who I do business with check out my profile and then check out my sites. You'll see who I do business with and then you'll have to look at their product lines to see if they'd be a good fit with your site.

This really is a hit-or-miss business. Merchants that work well for my sites won't necessarily be a good fit with yours, and vice versa. My sites' demographics and content may be very different from yours. As I mentioned earlier, this is time-consuming and often mind-bogglingly tedious work.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 12:21 AM   #9
gophergas

LOL -- actually I did check out your site, and I figured that you're working with CJ on at least some things. And you're right: the things you're advertising wouldn't necessarily be a good fit on my site. And you're also right that it can be mind-numbingly tedious work.

Funny -- it seems that every time I get some free hours to update the site and improve it, I wind up doing something else. Figure I need at least a week uninterrupted in order to make some general changes. Doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon.