Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2002, 03:00 AM   #1
NiteTrader

Question linkshare question

I know that the 1x1 tracking image is not necessary for CJ. Is it necessary to use it with Linkshare links?
NiteTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 01:01 AM   #2
NiteTrader

anyone?
NiteTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 07:48 AM   #3
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Ummm, I believe that the 1x1 tracking image is indeed necessary for CJ. (But then I guess it would depend on what you mean by 'necessary'.) If you don't use the tracking image your transactions/CTR, etc. won't be tracked properly, even though your links will work properly.

And, I've heard that CJ requires that the tracking image be included. If in doubt, drop CJ a line and ask for clarification on the 1x1 tracking issue.

Don't know what the deal is with Linkshare though.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:06 PM   #4
Cara

I haven't used Linkshare in a long time, so I can't remember. However Linkshare does offers really good support/help, and you might be able to find the answer to your question here http://www.linkshare.com/help/?

Hope that helps.
Cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:47 PM   #5
PlanetLaunch

Hello NT,

I believe those 1x1 images are used not only for impression tracking but also to place cookies on the browser's PC - for sale and lead tracking in case the browser revisits the advertised site at a later date. I could be wrong but to play it safe, I always include the image for CJ and Linkshare. If somebody knows differently about how the cookies are placed please let me know.
PlanetLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 03:16 PM   #6
NetSlumlord

I would assume the cookies are only placed when someone actually clicks the link and visits the site.
NetSlumlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 03:30 PM   #7
PlanetLaunch

Well NS try it out for yourself. Personally I tested it out by visiting one of my websites that contains links on it to Linkshare, Shareasale and CJ merchants. I didn't click on any of the merchant links, but just viewed my website. Then when I looked in my "temporary internet files" there were cookies (with the current last accessed time and date) from shareasale.com and linksynergy.com (linkshare), but nothing from qksrv.com (CJ). Personally I believe those 1x1 images are used to place cookies, but I am not sure why CJ didn't place one?
PlanetLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 10:28 PM   #8
qball0213

I'm not sure wether they are necesary or not, but there's no way they set a cookie for commissions, that would mean they would pay commision without anyone ever clicking a link. They may set a cookie, but it's not for money.
qball0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:14 PM   #9
shareasale
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

No cookie is placed on a machine without a click action taking place. This is for shareasale.com (obviously).

PlanetLaunch, the cookie you saw must have been from a different action than viewing the page, as in that scenario, with a clean cookie setup, no cookie would show up.
shareasale is offline   Reply With Quote