Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2002, 09:16 PM   #1
altrash

Default Amazon or Cdnow?

I'm making music site and I want to setup links for music CDs.

Amazon is great, but their keyword links doesn't work perfectly and it's very difficult to find ASINs for every CD.

Cdnow is much better for individual links, but I don't know about them much.

Both Cdnow and Amazon offer 5-10%.

Which is better for me?
What do you know about Cdnow?
altrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 06:56 AM   #2
EvDeon

Amazon, definitely!

I've used them both and Amazon works much better for me.
EvDeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 02:54 PM   #3
Darryl

I've used both as well, and Amazon seems to be performing much better. It's probably a matter of brand; comsumers are more likely to trust Amazon than CDnow as they're more well known.

The way I'm linking to CDs is by using their search box, indirectly; I ripped apart the form code and turned it into a link. If you're doing music, try using this as a link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?mode=music&keyword=<search terms>&tag=<affiliate_id>

I pull the artist name and album name from the database and feed it into the <search terms> part.

The next step is Amazon's Web Services...but that's a little ways down the road yet.
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 07:46 PM   #4
altrash

Wink

Thanks Darryl, that's really cool link - that's what I can't find on Amazon. There are keyword banners that don't working.

Anyway, I'll try Amazon first.
altrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:11 PM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

As a matter of interest, CDNow may not be around for much longer in its present form, which makes Amazon an even safer option:
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/business/4478715.htm

I started using CDNow's affiliate program back in 97, at which time it was cutting-edge despite the fact that payments were all virtual (given as cosmic cash that could only be used to buy products from CDNow). Their program has matured since then, but Amazon's better reach, bigger range, web services support, reviews feature and active community make it hard to beat.

CDUniverse is worth considering also. Their affiliate program has been active almost as long as those of CDNow and Amazon, they support deep linking and searchboxes, and they pay greater commissions than Amazon on most products.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote