Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2002, 06:04 AM   #1
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.
Thumbs down art.com moves to Linkshare

art.com, the best run affiliate program that I'm involved with, is moving to Linkshare. :sobbing:

<QUOTE>

Hello from Art.com!

In a continuing effort to bring you the best, most effective, and most profitable affiliate partnership possible, Art.com is enacting an important change and upgrade. In the next few weeks, the Art.com Affiliate Program will be re-launching with the LinkShare Network, the leading affiliate services provider.

We will email you in the coming days to provide more information, including details on the transition and a special promotion for you. You'll have the opportunity to earn a bonus commission for 30 days! So, look out for our email next week titled "Important Update for Art.com Affiliates".

Please be assured that during the transition, neither your processes nor your affiliate experience will be interrupted. More importantly, you will be paid for your earnings without disruption.

We are confident this transition will not only be seamless, but will add tremendous value to our partnership. With LinkShare as our program provider, we will be bringing you more detailed reporting, easier management, and access to the best revenue-driving affiliate programs.

You will receive more details from us about the transition within the week. We appreciate your patience and look forward to continuing our partnership with you. Thanks for being an Art.com Affiliate - you are an important part of our team!

Regards,

The Art.com Affiliate Team
affiliates@art.com

</QUOTE>
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 06:55 AM   #2
shimmy

Now that is just annoying. A while ago they were with Befree, then they were with Linkshare, then they went with their own program, and now back to Linkshare. I'm sick of changing their link codes.

~Shimmy~
BillClients.com - Online Invoice Service for Freelance Developers and Web Design Firms
shimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 07:32 AM   #3
david11982

I hate it when affiliate programs do this. Allposters may not convert as well for most people (it does for me), but at least it stays in one place. I'm assuming that old art.com links will not work with the new system. I wonder how many links are going to go unchanged. Think of all the commission-free revenue that art.com will generate. I think this should be a key point next time someone asks for a art.com vs. allposters comparison.
david11982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 10:15 PM   #4
kryton

I know it is awful. Email them and explain, why you used them over AllPosters, which is because their tracking was so much better. Then tell them if linkshare's tracking is worse, AllPosters still exists.
kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:50 PM   #5
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

I'm still sulking about this. I always thought art.com had the best run affiliate program of any I'd worked with. I just hope they can maintain their high standards of service and timely statistics running their program through linkshare.

Anyhoo, if you haven't already signed up with art.com, the stakes have dropped considerably. Existing affiliates will retain their 20% to 25% commissions, but new affiliates will only earn 10%.

I have a lot of work to do, updating links. I guess I'm not going to have any fun at all between now and Halloween.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:46 AM   #6
EvDeon

I have received some completely different emails from Art.com.
Quote:
Tuesday, October 15, 2002
I recently saw your site listed as one of the top website for college students - congratulations!

We wanted to let you know that over the next week we will be announcing a change to Art.com' mainstream affiliate program. As one of Art.com's top affiliate partners, next week's changes will not have any immediate affect on your account or our relationship.

What does this mean for you? You are among a small, select group of Art.com affiliate partners that we are offering the option to indefinitely continue to use our current, in-house affiliate program technology. We will continue to maintain the systems that you are using today, and will continue to work closely with you to meet your needs as an Art.com affiliate. (You are - of course - welcome to check out Art.com's program through LinkShare anytime after launch to see how it meets your needs.)

We are pleased to have you as important Art.com partner. Please let us know what questions we can answer for you and how we can continue to help you grow your business.
Quote:
Saturday, October 19, 2002
In case you haven't already noticed, I wanted to let you know that Art.com launched a new website early this morning. (We launched early Saturday morning to time the change with a very low traffic time.)

The site has a completely new look and feel that we are really excited about! The new features, galleries and format will help shoppers more easily find what they are looking for, and will increase conversion rates and therefore sales.

We will be spending the weekend fine-tuning the performance of the new site, and would love to hear from you to get your reactions to the site, and to see if you have any linking questions.

All of your basic affiliate links to the site will still work, and images still pull from our same image server. I have checked links on many of your sites to confirm this. For those of you who use scripts that you have written yourselves, please confirm that you links still work - there may be some adjustments needed.
So... They have selected some VIP affiliates who are eligible to use art.com current in-house linking technology and I was lucky to be one of them.
EvDeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 05:53 PM   #7
Rhea

Lucky you, EvDeon. I wish I was one of the few, the proud, the retained. :sigh:

I wonder what art.com would do if I sent them a whiney email asking them to please not make me port my links over to Linkshare.

Probably laugh, that's what.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:24 PM   #8
joma

Isn't keeping your old commission rate and going to a 10-day cookie rather a good deal? My understanding is that the in-house program does not use cookies to track return visitors.
joma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 09:03 PM   #9
Rhea

Thanks for pointing that out, Joma. I wasn't aware that the cookie situation would improve. But then I'm really bad about reading the fine print. (Bad habit from my old days as a SysAdmin.) lol!
Old 10-25-2002, 11:42 PM   #10
Czar

Webmaster

RTF FP
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:55 PM   #11
Rhea

Oh my, Czar, what language! lol!

I had a job many years ago that required me to read every manual for the operating system, each application, and every piece of computer hardware that my employer used. I was, in my role as automation analyst, the liaison between the IT department and our users. My cubicle was so crammed full of manuals there was barely any surface space for me to work on. Nowadays I don't so much read documentation as skim it, and rely on my good looks, winning personality, and the kindness of my fellow geeks to keep me out of trouble.

Do they give demerits around here for speechifying? :gulp:
Old 11-02-2002, 02:00 PM   #12
Rhea

Has anyone received instructions from art.com on how to convert links over to the linkshare format? I can't find any info on this at art.com's site or at linkshare.com's site. I just sent art.com an email asking for instructions on how to do this. I'm going to be majorly PO'd if it can't be accomplished with a simple search-replace.

What a time for them to do this! It would have been nice if they'd at least waited until after the holiday season. :sulking:
Old 11-06-2002, 01:20 PM   #13
kryton

I am also in the group of select affiliates who is able to stay with their current system. But I've noticed since they have removed your affiliate ID from the URL and started to use cookies instead, my sales have dropped. I think this shows cookies don't work, and are unfair for tracking sales. Their old method of keeping your affiliate ID in the URL was so much better, then if people bookmarked the site, and came back you would get a repeat sale. Over all I think my sales have dropped by around 1/3, it could just be the start of November is a bad month though? [edit]But my traffic has increased by 1/3 since the new google update.[/edit]

Last edited by kryton; 11-06-2002 at 01:26 PM.
kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 07:40 PM   #14
Rhea

I had a very frustrating exchange of emails today. I sent a request for support to art.com and guess who answered it? Linkshare! I asked a couple of very specific questions and received nothing more than a useless, boilerplate response. So I wrote back and told them that if I didn't start getting real answers to my very real questions I would drop art.com and replace them with allposters. All of a sudden I'm getting real answers...but I don't much like them.

Turns out that each product link, text and images, will have to be manually regenerated through Linkshare. And...I ran a test on one product and instead of landing me on the product page...it landed me on a Linkshare error page.

Based on what some of you are saying, that you've been retained in art.com's program, I have to wonder if art.com is using the transition to Linkshare as a way to unload low producers like me. I feel so UNLOVED! :sobbing: