Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money from Online Audio, Video and Web 2.0 Applications
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Default YouTube's new ad format explained

Hi all,

As many of you may have noticed, YouTube has recently started rolling out a new in-video ad format that does away with some of the limitations of the more popular pre-roll and post-roll systems.

Rather than re-hash every detail here, please feel free to refer to the following article, which explains the new format in accessible detail:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895...EMNL082307EOAD

Do you think this more flexible style of in-video ad will start to displace rigid 5-30 second pre-rolls as the most popular form of online video monetization?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
s.herzig

Sounds very interesting indeed! Very similar to AdBrite's InVideo ads, the difference being that a video ad is launched as soon as you click on it and not the target page itself...

... which leads me to my next point. While video ads may be funky and quite some revenue can be made of them, it is doubtful to asume, that most websites will spend the time and money involved in creating a nice video ad. The flash ad may be seen as a kind of "pre-video-ad", but as said, I doubt that e.g. a website to download source code from will make a professional video ad as seen on tv - or am I seeing this whole thing just too much like tv ads?

I believe video ads have a bright future, and will obviously, because of technical costs involved (streaming a video is more bandwidth intensive than a simple gif banner), bring in a nice bit of revenue for publishing websites, but for the reasons stated above, a kind of "limited" future.

It's weird how the advertising world evolves: first there were banner ads, then text ads were popular, and now everyone is taking a huge step in the other direction: video ads. Not bad, though. It's more entertaining.

-Sebastian
s.herzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
fusionhosting

There's only so much screen real-estate, and its important to have multiple-ad formats.

Personally I'd probably be more in favor of a 15 second pre-roll or post-roll than a overlay.
fusionhosting is offline   Reply With Quote