Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money from Online Audio, Video and Web 2.0 Applications
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which online video streaming format do you prefer?
Flash all the way baby! 12 80.00%
Real is where it's at! 0 0%
Quicktime is king! 1 6.67%
Windows Media rocks! 2 13.33%
Uh, something else. (Please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Question What is your favourite video streaming format?

If you have had some experience streaming video content online, please share which is your favourite delivery format.

Are you a Flash maven? A Real devotee? A Microsoft believer or an Apple fan?

This poll relates to streaming formats only; not downloadable delivery platforms, systems and file formats such as BitTorrent.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
JFS

flash all the way
it's multi plataform, and you don't need spefic codecs and stuff
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:05 AM   #3
fireklown

Flash all the way. It's the only one that really has no problems. Plus it loads a lot faster, and no one generally has anything they need to install (outside of flash which probably almost 100% of people have since now days the net would be worthless without it)

Real is a joke. Anyone who uses it in this day in age should be strangled. Having to install a VERY bloaded extra piece of software to view stuff. And even though the files are smaller, they take forever to load. Nothing gets more annoying than watching 3 seconds of a video, then having to wait 30 seconds for it to buffer, then 3 more seconds, then more buffering.

Quicktime is ok, But most people who use it have no idea how to use it, and the video opens in a new window with a tiny little box to view it. Also, another thing where you have to install more software. A lot of novice users will see it is an apple product and won't install it thinking it won't work on a PC (used to work tech support few years ago, and you can't imagine how many calls I got from PC users upset they couldn't watch .mov stuff)

Windows Media is also sketchy. And it doesn't work well with some browser. Too often you ended up just looking at a black box with the little floating widows logos saying it is loading, and it never loads. And there are too many different codecs to mess around with.

Flash is the easiest, fastest, and smoothest to run across all platforms and browsers.
fireklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
Del

I didn't vote, I didn't see a 'anything that completly loads and plays decently on 64 mbs RAM and occasionally flaky dial-up, that isn't sound based' option.
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del
I didn't vote, I didn't see a 'anything that completly loads and plays decently on 64 mbs RAM and occasionally flaky dial-up, that isn't sound based' option.
lol. Should I add 'gif animation' to the list?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:24 AM   #6
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del
I upgraded a year ago finally from 64MB RAM so I can view a lot more, not that I spend a heap of time at it. Mainly it is if a friend sends something or I need to check something that is posted on a forum for "kosherness".

I have all the poll options installed and whatever the default format is, it will load the correct program. At least I don't need to hand em on to other moderators to check now
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
fusionhosting

Windows Media or Flash are my favorites. Would like to learn move about converting and using flash better but haven't seen any really good resources on the topic.
fusionhosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:29 AM   #8
Del

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar
lol. Should I add 'gif animation' to the list?
A fun program to use, but it would(does) take forever to make anything longer than an emote(1-5 frames).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
I upgraded a year ago finally from 64MB RAM so I can view a lot more, not that I spend a heap of time at it.
*envys* Here's the gist of my 'list':
[](1)Fix computer
. . . []Reload Avast! (including upades and patches I haven't done)
. . . []Windows update
. . . []Edit firewall settings
. . . []Back up files(without sorting) the files I was in the process of backing up when my computer demanded fixing.

[](2)UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE!!!!(including RAM)

See? It's only second, now to do #1 . . .
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #9
gravtex

Once I learned how to use flash, it made everything so much easier. Now that's all I use. I agree with everyone how it's so nice that it's multiplatform.

Gary
gravtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:09 AM   #10
akula

I voted for Flash even though I think Flash is not quite an optimal solution.
akula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:24 AM   #11
xlmdxlmd

i like flash

Last edited by Jan; 11-12-2006 at 07:47 AM.
xlmdxlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:07 AM   #12
wallarookiller

I used to hate flash but never really streamed to much stuff. now i hit all kinds of movie sites that stream and i have to say out of all of them i only bookmark the ones that use flash everything else messes up or takes time to just load the program like windows media. so i guess i vote flash.
wallarookiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:12 AM   #13
praveen

Windows Media here, even though i get the occasional codec errors..
praveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #14
James McConnell
Member.

I use Flash on my Camtasia videos

James
James McConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #15
masm50

I prefer flash for streaming. xvid/avi for downloaded video as well.

Quicktime could be a good solution but you have to pay to get the full version of quicktime to enable full screen playback. That is a reason to prevent widestream adoption if I've ver heard one.

-Tim
masm50 is offline   Reply With Quote