Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money from Online Audio, Video and Web 2.0 Applications
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Question Have you started to develop sites for the mobile phone market?

With more than 500 million mobile phone users worldwide now able to use their phones to access the internet, have you started to cater your publishing empire to tap into that market?

Whether it's shrinking down sites for the iPhone and BlackBerry range of smartphones or building specialty .mobi sites for phones that have smaller, simpler displays, there's a huge market out there for those willing to tailor products and content to the masses of people who choose to access the web through tiny screens.

I've started doing regular phone banking, project management and emailing through my phone and while I don't use it to randomly surf the web, if I'm on the road and have forgotten an address, I'll use it to bring up business directories, company websites and maps - and I certainly wasn't one of the early adopters when it comes to using phones that way, so there's plenty of people doing the same.

What are you doing to tap into this new medium?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Jan

Administrator

How do you shrink sites?
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Del

Shrink the page width from 1### x 7## to something under 800x600 because apparently people like regressing?
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:37 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

Or building nimbler, CSS-driven "liquid" sites that have no fixed width, but expand to conform with the browser being used to access the site.

Don't get me wrong, I have a 1920x1200 monitor, so I don't advocate tailoring every site to the lowest-common resolution denominator, but a lot of sites are either switching to liquid layouts or custom building mobile-targeted websites to tap into that market.

With such a massive user base available and relatively few sites ready to tap into the market, many publishers would see the trouble of building a special mobile-centric site as a small enough hurdle to be worthwhile. At least, I'd imagine so.

Is it all too hard to reach this market or do some of you out there plan to build sites that are mobile-friendly?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 09-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
Nutri

I wouldn't redesign my site to be mobile friendly unless it was vital, for example the MSN messenger for mobiles phones web page - if that didn't fit mobile phones it would be a bit silly.

I don't see mobile phone Internet going extremely far, but who knows?
Nutri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
rirara

I'll wait for now. Mobile phones are not so convenient for browsing and so on.
rirara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:13 AM   #7
Czar

Webmaster

Further to this, it seems that many major publishers haven't quite mastered the art of developing content for the emerging smartphone market yet.

A recent study of iPhone users found that a majority of them found Yahoo's wireless offerings frustrating to use and while Fox News fared better in the study, it's results weren't stellar, either.

One finding of interest to many people here was that mobile advertising wasn't attracting much attention, even though one might imagine that the novelty of the format would be enough to garner a few curious clicks. Only 4% of users in the study clicked on ads while under observation, as indicated here:
http://www.adotas.com/2008/10/iphone...icking-on-ads/

This just goes to prove that even those who are already ahead of the game and actively develop content for smartphone users still have a great deal of usability testing to perform before they lock their interfaces in stone.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:48 AM   #8
shilpamg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar View Post
Further to this, it seems that many major publishers haven't quite mastered the art of developing content for the emerging smartphone market yet.

A recent study of iPhone users found that a majority of them found Yahoo's wireless offerings frustrating to use and while Fox News fared better in the study, it's results weren't stellar, either.

One finding of interest to many people here was that mobile advertising wasn't attracting much attention, even though one might imagine that the novelty of the format would be enough to garner a few curious clicks. Only 4% of users in the study clicked on ads while under observation, as indicated here:
http://www.adotas.com/2008/10/iphone...icking-on-ads/

This just goes to prove that even those who are already ahead of the game and actively develop content for smartphone users still have a great deal of usability testing to perform before they lock their interfaces in stone.

i am agree with your answer.
shilpamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
rubyshack

Interesting thread...

I believe that most mobile phones have additional information in their header request which enables you to detect the user agent.
This information is usually a link to an XML file which contains useful info like model, capabilities, screen size, etc...

When you detect a mobile phone, you just redirect to the specially designed "small" page. I also believe there are free emulators you can use to see what they will see.

I looked into it once, but didn't bother as I couldn't find anyone who surfed the web on their phone.

Google something like:
mobile phone detect user agent
for details.
rubyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:25 PM   #10
sam1

This thread seems to be very interesting as it is discussing about the use of mobile platform for marketing... i feel with the new versions of the mobile technology the use of mobile marketing would increase a lot and it would be great to start developing our resources for the same.

Keep the discussion on and add on if any new info on the same..

Thanks
sam1 is offline   Reply With Quote