Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money from Online Audio, Video and Web 2.0 Applications
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
atlantadining

hey everyone -- this is my first post - and i am more of a big picture guy than a techno ---so please excuse me if i ma posting this in the wrong forum. i am the founder and ceo of www.atlantadining.com -- and www.diningperks.com -- we have been streaming video for 4 years - i believe we were the first restaurant video site ever. we even make money -- we let restaurants place their videos (that we produce) on our web sites and we charge no cash - we charge them in food - we then sell the food trade owed to us at www.diningperks.com - this works great for all parties - my question is - how do i get this in front of google ---- or some ther major player interested in our national expansion? ---- again -- excuse me if this is the wrong place to ask this question - joe
atlantadining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow Thoughts...

Hi Joe, Welcome to the "Village" and best of luck

I took a look at your sites and a few videos. You have a very clever idea and I was very impressed.

1) I presume you are looking for investors to exspand and NOT referring to rankings in Search Engines. A search for investors normally starts with a few "Angels" who are private individuals with a propensity for risk. Hopefully, things go well with the Angels and then you move to the first stage VC (Venture Capitalists).

2) I have two names for you and both of these folks are VERY smart about commerce on the Internet and long time members of this Community. I would be prepared to present your "pitch" in a very organized fashion and ideally have your business plan written down.

Contact our own member Robert from SI who has indicated his "Angel" wishes in the following thread:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32263

Another one of our talented members to reach out to is:

John Demayo at:

http://www.johndemayo.com/about.html

Please be sure you mention GV and my name (I'm the former owner of this Community) as the referral source. I make zilch but always enjoy helping folks. I can't speak for either geek, but my sence of the issue is that with the Community connection, they may infact offer some form of "guidence" for you so please be prepared to take notes.

3) All your sites should have an "Investors" link which leads to a page with copy about what you are looking for and data to contact you.

4) Do you have your videos on YouTube? If not, this site and others of it's ilk would offer you free exsposure.

5) It's highley unlikely that your business and needs would land on the desk of Google and they would cut a large check. Please don't take this in a negative way. I'm just trying to help. Thats not the way it works. In the case of the YouTube acquisition, G had a board member who was an invested VC in G. This board member is the party who I believe placed the YouTube deal on the table for G to look at and I believe this VC was also invested in YouTube.

HTH and good luck
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
atlantadining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_S
Hi Joe, Welcome to the "Village" and best of luck

I took a look at your sites and a few videos. You have a very clever idea and I was very impressed.

1) I presume you are looking for investors to exspand and NOT referring to rankings in Search Engines. A search for investors normally starts with a few "Angels" who are private individuals with a propensity for risk. Hopefully, things go well with the Angels and then you move to the first stage VC (Venture Capitalists).

2) I have two names for you and both of these folks are VERY smart about commerce on the Internet and long time members of this Community. I would be prepared to present your "pitch" in a very organized fashion and ideally have your business plan written down.

Contact our own member Robert from SI who has indicated his "Angel" wishes in the following thread:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32263

Another one of our talented members to reach out to is:

John Demayo at:

http://www.johndemayo.com/about.html

Please be sure you mention GV and my name (I'm the former owner of this Community) as the referral source. I make zilch but always enjoy helping folks. I can't speak for either geek, but my sence of the issue is that with the Community connection, they may infact offer some form of "guidence" for you so please be prepared to take notes.

3) All your sites should have an "Investors" link which leads to a page with copy about what you are looking for and data to contact you.

4) Do you have your videos on YouTube? If not, this site and others of it's ilk would offer you free exsposure.

5) It's highley unlikely that your business and needs would land on the desk of Google and they would cut a large check. Please don't take this in a negative way. I'm just trying to help. Thats not the way it works. In the case of the YouTube acquisition, G had a board member who was an invested VC in G. This board member is the party who I believe placed the YouTube deal on the table for G to look at and I believe this VC was also invested in YouTube.

HTH and good luck
thank you very much - we are on you tube -- we are making money -- i am wondering if i just place google ads on the 90 or so sites if that might be a way of creating more revenue --if i could get each site doing just say $500 per month in revenue that is $45,000 per month and the heck with google for the short term - if you know what i mean. i have a franchise plan ready to roll out where each town would be a franchise and the franchisee gets the rights to sell ads on the www.visithall.com and the www.allaroundhall.com web sites ( different sites for other cities obviously) - i have a "family" of these sites -- my thoughts are to use the restaurant video as a "magnet" so to speak for visitors. also, the restaurants alone make the site profitable.

if i could keep it to myself and just fly under the radar and make a lot of money without having to do the corporate thing i would -- that is kind of where i am at - do i go for big - or do i stay small and spend my efforts and energy figuring out how to make that work rather than chasing the brass ring -- i just have a feeling that the google revenue stream may not be there -- we tried using them a few years back and i got a check for $12 after 6 months --- is there any place i can get real google ad revenue numbers - ?

thanks for your help --- joe
Old 12-26-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

Hi Joe,

It sounds as though the Google program you used a few years back was their old searchbox program, which yielded pretty poor results for affiliates and Google itself. Since then, Google has released AdSense, which is a far more lucrative program for all involved. They only issue payments after a minimum $100 has been generated, but if they allow all of your 90 sites admission, $100 a month will be aptly achievable.

Google prohibits affiliates from discussing detailed information about the types of returns that can be generated through AdSense, but if you're looking for a very rough indication in order to assist the development of your budget or business plan, you can safely approximate that a program like AdSense will generate somewhere in the vicinity of $1-$3 per 1000 pageviews on an average site, under average conditions. As such, in order to generate your $500 per month, per site, you'd have to be delivering close to 250,000 pageviews.

Of course, you'll find out soon enough that localised content carries a premium value and that it's possible to optimise AdSense and similar programs to produce superior results (using tips and advice found throughout Geek/Talk), so you don't have to bet your entire business plan on a $2 return per 1000 impressions. Still, it's a good place to start in order to ensure that your current estimates are not unrealistic.

Hope this helps.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
atlantadining

it helps me a great deal -- makes sense too -- my thoughts are i can go into a town to find a dentist to advertise on my site in say Hall County Georgia but until i do i can use the google revenue model - i know some words are rather expensive - i had the opportunity to pay $25 per click for Self Storage in Atlanta --- with atlanta being a competitive city i am thinking some of the google ads there must be fairly pricey -- thanks for your help -! joe
Old 01-26-2007, 12:59 AM   #6
DJ_B

Just wanted to say, awesome site!
DJ_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
morkov
Member.

I'm quite impressed by the idea, always thought that natural economy isn't to be found any more!
And if I get your question right you need seo optimization of your site. I'd say you have a very unique position as you can afford link exchange with both video services rand food related sites.
morkov is offline   Reply With Quote