Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
moonshiner_09

Default How to learn html code?

Hey,
I'm REALLY new to html code, so you all will have to bare w/ me. I'm a sophomore mechanical engineering student at Clemson University. I'm also the webmaster for the Clemson Baja SAE team, which is a mechanical engineering student organization. I'm currently using FrontPage and not satisfied w/ its performance. Its constantly messing up, its hard to edit, and/or its not able to do what I want it to do.

Having said all that, what is the best way to learn html code? I don't want to have to take a class to learn it, because I'm very busy w/ my own college classes as it is. Is there a book that anyone would recommend? I know how to use MatLab, so I have some experience w/ programing, so I think if I had a book that had the codes for stuff I could pick up fairly quick. How should I go about learning the code? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Justin
moonshiner_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:54 AM   #2
Jan

Administrator

Hello Justin, welcome to the "village"

There is no need to buy a book when there are so many tutorials on the internet A google search reveals many http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=html+tutorial

Just have a browse through some of the top 10 or 20 entries and see which one you find more understandable
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
emmzee
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Probably the best way to learn is a combination of a tutorial as Jan suggested above and looking at the source code for various sites you visit; this lets you see "how did they do that?" on different sites.
emmzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:29 AM   #4
lindsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmzee
Probably the best way to learn is a combination of a tutorial as Jan suggested above and looking at the source code for various sites you visit; this lets you see "how did they do that?" on different sites.
I have actually done a combination of both reading HTML Tut's and doing what emmzee has suggested. But now, I am more of asking, "how did they do that?" on forums. Since I have basic HTML skills to have have a base understanding if anyone replies back to my question.

So you may need to try it both ways.
lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
Larwee

GeekGuide

moonshiner_09, there are many great places online to learn HTML. While different people might have different opinions, my opinion is that these are some of the best:

http://www.echoecho.com/html.htm

http://www.htmldog.com

http://www.w3schools.com

http://www.htmlgoodies.com

http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
lauraddirectnet

Hello,

I think you can learn a lot by mimicing other people's code. When you right click on the page your able to view the source. You can learn a great deal about basic HTML this way. I agree that this plus reading some tutorials online is a great way to learn.
One other thing, I have had some experiance with FrontPage, I think there are much better programs out there. Try DreamWeaver, we like that!
lauraddirectnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
infoslob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larwee
For what it's worth - w3 gets my vote.

And Lindsey says it well. The base lessons and the experience play off each other. Many people who are interactive may know more HTML than they realize and the online primer courses serve to fill in gaps of knowledge (cross the "t"s and dot the "i"s of recognized patterns) as much as they instruct.
infoslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
gophergas

Just a note to say that I started out using Frontpage. I highly recommend NOT going that route. The problem is that Frontpage inspires sloppiness. It tends to put a bunch of useless code into your pages and can often generate pages that don't look right on other browsers.

Stick with something like Dreamweaver. Yeah, it's pricey, but it's well worth it in the long run. You'll end up producing pages that are far better, and you'll "accidentally" learn some html in the process.

Oh, and be sure to check out some html support groups as well. There are lots of gurus out there who love to offer help to newbies.
gophergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
JFS

i tend to disagree gophergas, i started with frontpage and i recomend it to anyone that is starting.
after you know some basic i recomend you php designer - it's free and good ( i use the 2005 version because i dont' like the 2006 layout ) - i still to my layouts all on frontpage then i copy&paste it on php designer and i work from there.
dreamweaver is nice but it's too crowed, i like simple enviroments
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:34 AM   #10
patton

Still, I say DreamWeaver is the best, I started with it when I was 13, and it was very easier to use. I really don't think its crowded, most everything is out in the open though, which is nice. I've tried Frontpage, and DreamWeaver is way better.
patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:03 AM   #11
praveen

the best way is

1. read the tutorials from the great sites mentioned above.
2. Start creating pages yourself.

Experiment, Experiment and Experiment with what you have learnt

No book will replace Practical Training.

once u make mistakes, then you will learn what to do and what not to.

Once u hit a roadblock, dont worry, just grab a seat and come and post the issue and one of the members would be happy to help you out

Good Luck during your learning Process
praveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:20 AM   #12
HenryForum

i've learn some html codes from doing stuff in frontpage and dreamweaver..

try those application first..play around with it....then view their sources
HenryForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #13
Del

Sometimes it's easier to learn from a hard copy that you can take with you. The 'for dummies' books and similar things aren't bad for a start. I used one and played with code in notepad. The problem is most of the sites that they say can give free content or help seem to have disappeared the moment I was ready to check them out. Once you understand those basics you know enough to sort of know what you are looking at in source codes. I still use the book but mainly tutorials and the like now.
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #14
vik88
Member.

the best way to learn something - is our wish and manual for self-tuition =)
vik88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #15
Athlon

I learnt a lot from http://www.w3schools.com

They also have really good tutorials on CSS too.
Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote