Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do your July figures stack up against your 3-monthly EPC?
Modern-me is getting it's butt whipped. I'm making nothing. 40 43.01%
My EPC and EPM are way down, but a few leads are trickling through. 30 32.26%
Open Marketplace hasn't had an effect. My results are about the same. 10 10.75%
I'm still saving for that Porsche. Open Marketplace has boosted my returns somewhat. 8 8.60%
I pity the fool who started this poll. My July stats are sky-high! 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2001, 11:44 AM   #16
Archbob
Member.

No te Gusta la open marcado.

Actually Cj never worked that well for me and pay-per-search engines don't exist anymore, they are all pay-per-click-thru.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:25 PM   #17
Headshop

I had some pay per click side deals at Cj.com but as of the first of August these links will all come down. I'll just keep doing my own thing doin deals on my own.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:49 PM   #18
JP Sauve
Member.

As an affiliate, CJ's changes have caused me nothing but trouble. CJ represented about 50% of my affiliate income mostly from CPA programs. Most of them have left without launching new programs or have drastically reduced conversion and payout. My EPC might look good because I do well with the few CJ programs I still advertise but my total CJ income is SIGNIFICANTLY less.

On the merchant side, I also dislike open marketplace. EPC is such a bad means of showing how much an affiliate SHOULD earn from a program. Of course a high paying per sale program with generally targeted traffic will produce a high EPC. But if a general audience type humor site advertises that program, they won't generate nearly the same EPC, maybe even an EPC of zero!

I hate playing the EPC game. While Prize-O-Matic's affiliate program was still strong there, we had a fair EPC. What happened? Affiliates with bad traffic flooded our site thinking they'd earn the same EPC and the only thing that happened is our network EPC dropped from the bad traffic. Should I dump these affiliates? They aren't cheating, but they are pushing affiliates away from us because they are brining down our EPC. Doesn't really seem fair to them or us.

I know that CJ did what they had to do to survive, but really thanks for nothing.
Old 07-29-2001, 08:31 PM   #19
JonPKibble
Member.

I guess I am the only affiliate that's had good experiences that has decided to post here.

July has been my best performing month. I was able to weed out the bad programs and try new programs with less guesswork before determining whether to keep them or not.

If I try a new program, EPC lets me determine whether they are worth promoting long term.

I am getting $5+ EPC's on quite a few programs and am doing very well with CJ. If you are one of those who is still crying about PPC, well, what can I say - internet marketing is getting smarter and more cost effective, time to get with the program. Internet economy hasn't stopped growing despite what people think. It is getting smarter and paying for results.

It is easy to sit and complain but it takes committment to roll with the punches and make the best of it, and realize there is a space to capitalize on something great.

"A pessimist sees a calamity in every opportunity while an optimist sees an opportunity in every calamity."
Old 07-29-2001, 09:57 PM   #20
FreeFun

Thumbs up

I have had a good July with CJ. My 7 day epc is over $11, up from a 3 month epc of $9, and my earnings are double what they were in June.

I never used any of the cpc programs that CJ offered, rather I concentrated on very targeted cpa ads, both leads and sales. If I didn't have the audience for a particular offer I created the audience.

I really don't credit the availability of the new Open Marketplace with my numbers. I was, however, able to find some new merchants that seem to convert quite well and I plan on creating the audience for these programs begining August 1.

Regards,
Tim
Old 07-31-2001, 03:02 AM   #21
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by WildComputer
I just can't duplicate the problem you're seeing Jan. I opened both pages you mentioned via London dial-up and remotely via a server in MA USA. I am tracking new leads, including via CJ. Since your 6am post I tracked about 20 or so via CJ's affiliates

Any JavaScript problem is not related to CJ, but I don't see it
Okay, I finally managed to get into your site and finish the form, but the problem arose from typing in 100,000 and it doesn't like commas. I tried to get in last night to inform you, but geektalk was down

Maybe you could put a 'no commas please' in the form

Last edited by Jan; 07-31-2001 at 03:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:27 AM   #22
WildComputer

Jan - your wish is my command

BTW myy 7-day EPC is finally showing something that is probably a valid number
Old 08-02-2001, 07:01 AM   #23
Jan

Administrator

Thumbs down Re: CJ Results - July

Quote:
Originally posted by Czar

This is not intended as a direct criticism of CJ, since we all know that much of the onus in placed on the publisher insofar as increasing conversions in concerned. Nevertheless, I thought that it may make for interesting reading to see just how the greater publisher ranks are finding their results in the wake of CJ's sweeping system changes.
Czar I think the votes are cast!!! We all do our darndest to promote but nothing is happening. One has only to look at the previous cj threads to know there is a problem.

So where does the problem lay? Everyone was making money (some big, some little) before they changed their policies in June.

I think we need Todd back to see these results.

If you are with cj and haven't yet contributed to the poll, please do and it might just sway the vote in a different direction, but at present it isn't looking real good.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:12 PM   #24
WildComputer

I'd like to change my vote from open market place has no effect to making nothing.

As I said previously I stripped out some dead links, removed some general links, and went to targeted text + very few banners.

This temporarily raised by 7 day EPC from about $3 (i.e. $0.03 per click) to about $6 (i.e. $0.06)

My EPC has now fallen to $0.29 - i.e. 1/3 of a cent per click

For me - thank heavens for other networks + programs, especially ClickBank

For CJ -if every affiliate is seeing falls in their earnings, CJ earns less money too. I wonder if the increased transaction charges are enough to compensate? I wonder if CJ's plan to reach profitability this year is still on track. Anybody know?
Old 08-03-2001, 07:37 PM   #25
harry

Czar

I can imagine that the folks of CJ wouldn't be happy to go through this thread

But seriously the current results of this poll don't surprise me at all. It just tell us that the "principle" of 5/95 still live well in the affiliate marketing, unfortunately. 5% of affiliates generate 95% of the revenues to merchants. And this is not limited to CJ, but still apply to the whole affiliate market and other networks, I guess.

IMHO, the best way to improve the 5/95 is to educate both affiliates and merchants and provide them with tools allowing them to conduct affiliate marketing as a serious successful business.

As to CJ's EPC, I think its too early to make any qualified conclusion. Maybe we need to wait till December to get a clear picture of the effect of the so called open market place.

We should be prepared for more changes, mostly positive, when it comes to affiliate networks. After all this, its my firm belief that the affiliate market shall emerge victorious.

Lets hope next week will bring us some happy news. You can never tell

All the best,

Harith
http://www.danex-exm.dk

Last edited by harry; 08-04-2001 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2001, 06:44 PM   #26
WildComputer

Correction/Update: My EPC has gone back up ($12 now), so I guess the drop was an anamoly. Since June, the traffic I'm sending to CJ is much lower (because of my choices, nothing to do with CJ(, so maybe I should expect some wild fluctuations (small numbers mixed with an element of chance)
Old 08-06-2001, 05:32 AM   #27
jefff

The open marketplace has helped me weed out the bad performers, and find good alternatives. My income has increased as a result.

My EPCs:
3 month: $10.27
7 day: $12.23
This month: $24.87

I made $600 in July, which was twice my previous best month.

I'm expecting my income to double again this month.
Old 08-06-2001, 06:14 AM   #28
Czar

Webmaster

Those are very impressive results, jefff.

Congratulations, and welcome to Geek/Talk
Old 08-08-2001, 01:43 PM   #29
Uneek

My question is if the pay rate is still the same? For example, if there is a program that pays $1.00 for 1 lead, and you get 100 leads for that month, but your EPCs are very low, would that affect what you earn, or is the hole EPC thing just like the CPM thing CJ had to calculate how much you would earn if you where running it in CPM. In other words would the EPC matter at all? Change the price of what you earn etc...

Last edited by Uneek; 08-08-2001 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-09-2001, 04:30 AM   #30
strongcat

Unhappy

Just found that IWonGear has terminated its affiliate program at CJ. I don't know which program I'm gonna try right now. *crying*