Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Search Engine Marketing & Optimization
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2001, 01:33 PM   #1
Archbob
Member.

Default How to get into yahoo?

I have submitted my site to yahoo about 4 times in the past year and a half and have never even gotten a reply. I show up on their search results b/c of google. I followed all their rules each time and have never gotten reviewed. How do you guys get into yahoo?
Archbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 02:02 PM   #2
Jack
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

First, check out this page and scroll down to section 3.0: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/suggest/terms.html

That is the terms of service for the paid Yahoo! submission service but it also contains exactly what Yahoo! is looking for in a web site. Make sure you meet all critera.

I strongly recommend paying for Yahoo!'s paid submission service if you feel you can make back $199.00 in a reasonable amount of time from the listing in Yahoo! You not only will get a response in about a week but you also have two chances to get in (you get an appeal which gives you time to correct what they say is wrong with your site if you are turned down the first time).

There really is no magic bullet to getting into Yahoo! Just follow what they require and you will have a high chance of getting in.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 02:51 PM   #3
sdarken

Archbob, If you are trying to get your freebie site into Yahoo without paying for it, I think it is unlikely that you will get in and even if you pay you may not get in.

Yahoo will not accept every site. They are are looking for sites with "substantially different" content from the sites that they already have in their directory. There are so many freebie sites that they will not list them all.

It would be nasty if you pay to be listed and they still reject you but it is a distinct possibility.

Good luck.
- Simon
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 05:26 PM   #4
Archbob
Member.

Well I think $199 is a bit overkill for a site submission, so I try to get into dmoz.org .
Old 07-28-2001, 09:41 AM   #5
webstuff4free

Another problem is that although you have your own domain name you are just using a frame to cover the fact you are using a free host. Many directories are not keen on listing sites hosted on free servers.
webstuff4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 11:34 AM   #6
jeff

please try any search engine submition software such as pageSubmit. Your site will always list in most of search engine within a month.
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 08:54 AM   #7
FreemanTech

Talking I Made It!

YEAH! I MADE IT!

I just did a search for FREE ONLINE MULTIPLAYER GAMES at Yahoo and I am on the first page of Web Page Listings!

Now, if only I could get up there under just GAMES.......
FreemanTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 01:08 PM   #8
webstuff4free

jeff, I wouldn't recommend any automated submission software. It is always best to hand submit to the major engines. Besides they don't like the automated scripts very much and engines like Altavista have taken positive steps to block them (the ransom note).

Bladerunner, if you are in coming in on the first page of the web page listings at yahoo you are doing well at google not because you are listed at yahoo - still it is still a good achievement.

Jason
webstuff4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 03:38 PM   #9
Archbob
Member.

I'm on almost every search engine, just not very high up and I'm in alot of small directories although not in directories such as yahoo, looksmart , or dmoz, I just want in on some of those directories. I can' afford 7.77/month for paid hosting yet.