Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
dognose

Default text ads competitive with adsense?

From the Google program policies:

"We do not permit Google ads or search boxes accessing Google search services to be published on web pages that also contain what could be considered competing ads or services. If you have elected to receive contextually-targeted Google ads, this would include all other contextually-targeted ads or links on the same page as Google ads. This would also include ads throughout the site that mimic Google ads or otherwise appear to be associated with Google on your site. Although you may sell ads directly on your site, it is your responsibility to ensure these ads do not mimic Google ads."

Now, I'm running both fastclick and google adsense ads on my site. Fastclick has been running more and more text ads or flash based texted ads ( RMM, Adknowledge, Fortress Advisors and even Vongage).. Does anyone know if Google has a problem with these? They don't seem to be contextual, but they are "text" ads.. Would those be considered mimicing Google Ads?
dognose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Larwee

GeekGuide

dognose, on specific issues such as this it is always best to ask Google in order to be positive.

In my experience I have found the problem to be more with contextually-targeted ads rather than just with text ads.

Chitika eMiniMalls is not text ads. When they first became available they were contextually-targeted. That presented a problem with AdSense. Chitika then made changes so it was possible to use the eMiniMalls without them being contextually-targeted and as a result there was then no problem with Google and they could then be run on the same page as AdSense ads.

BidVertiser does has text ads. However they are not contextual ads. A few months ago Google responded to a questions I asked in relation to BidVertiser and informed me that it was permitted to have BidVertiser ads on the same site or same page as AdSense ads.

So as you can see, the big concern is contextually-targeted ads more so than text ads simply because they are text ads. But it is always a good idea to check with them because they do change their policy at times. As an example there was a point in time when they didn't allow Yahoo Publisher Network ads on the same site as AdSense ads. But they now permit them as long as they aren't on the same page as AdSense ads.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #3
LilaB

Default Threads to Use

Hi ,

This is an interesting parody. Unfortunately, there are many services that you can use to add more targeted ad's to your site. IndustryBrain's comes to mind as a specific example. They will often offer web developers much more money on your click thru's than google, but it depends highly on your traffic. If you don't have over 250,000 page views a month, they won't always consider you. The best way to overcome that hurdle would be to talk to a "higher -up" directly and impress them with the niche characteristics that your site may hold. This can be an effective alternative, and some houses like this will even promote your site with their sales people to enhance traffic.

If you were going to mesh these types of ad's with GoogleAd's it is definately at your own risk. In some respects, I would say dont worry about it and take the risk because so many people do it. However, Google can and will drop you instantly, and return all of your CPC generated income at their own discretion. There is none to speak with about this, and it is very disheartening. This happened to a couple of my clients due to the spikes in traffic they had after a weekly newsletter distribution.

I hope that helps.

Lila

<<Manual signature removed>>

Last edited by Jan; 04-05-2006 at 12:28 AM.
LilaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:59 PM   #4
Larwee

GeekGuide

Welcome to Geek/Talk, LilaB.

Your signature should not be in the body of your post. You should use the User Control Panel to take advantage of the signature feature.

It may not be a good idea to do something because so many people do it. When people do something they shouldn't and get caught they are not very happy. If a person wants to retain a good relationship with Google and their AdSense program and they want to try something they aren't sure is or is not against Google's rules, it is a very good idea to check with Google first before taking a chance.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote