Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2004, 01:37 AM   #1
fireklown

Default Clickhype... Wow

Alright I srt of new what I was getting into when I started. I remember the whole Haignet from a few years ago.

Anyhow, a few days ago I got an email from one of the reps from Clickhype. they wanted to run ads on one of my site. Originally I said no. The rates were bad, they pay NET60. Bad combo for me. But after talking with the guy he said that they would let me run site below the fold, 100% fill rate $0.10 CPM and pay NET15. So I figured I'd give them a shot. $0.10 is better then the $0.01 campaigns I run for clickxchange. Although I was a bit weary in the beginning, because I've never had a problem with clickxchange, never missed a payment, great customer support. Can't complain in any way. But I figured I'd give these guys a shot. They minimum payout was $25. So 250,000 hits, I could do that in a day or two. So I put the ads on there.

After I put them on I look at them and was a little lost. Everything was either an advertising.com banner, or a banner from a PPC search engine where they would make a generic banner for them. After the first day I get an email from then saying "whoops we can't pay $.10 CPM, but we'll give you $0.06" rectroactive of course. But if I want to run banners with a popup they would pay $0.39. I emailed them back and said no, infact I was going to take their banners off. Although when I emailed them I wasn't in a place where I could edit the page so it would be a few hours before I would actually take the banners off.

So a few hours later I get home, go to the page to take the banners off, and their banner is loading... I'm not even kidding... 12-15 popups per banner. My email box was flooded with people upset. Along with the popups there were a lot that at least tried drive by installs, and did install on a lot of people.

So I email them (as well as a few state reps and such) and tell them that I'm not pleased with the games they are playing. I get an email back from them a few hours later saying that I broke the terms and conditions of the contract and they will not be paying me for the 290,000 hits I gave them. Even though THEY were the ones that asked me to put the ads on my site, and I hadn't even touched it after that. And I never signed a contract. I never even filled out an application, they just sent me and login and password.

So needless to say if you get an email from then, I would just delete it and never look back.
fireklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:59 AM   #2
Jamesbond

Yellow DOG !!!
Jamesbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 06:26 AM   #3
Guava

While $29 isn't really much to get upset about their shady business practices definitely are.

You should report them to the local Better Business Bureau (you mentioned state reps so I assume they are in the USA). The BBB can't do anything to the company but many people do look up BBB complaints before doing business with a company. If you don't then you should start. It's an easy way to see if they have made people unhappy in the past and to see the actual reason why from a reputable organization.
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:17 AM   #4
JFS

thank you very much for leting the ppl know what they had done.
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:22 AM   #5
Strafe

This is the most unprofessional thing an ad network could do.
Strafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:08 PM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

Some old dogs do learn new tricks. Others just change their names and keep pretending.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote