Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2002, 01:36 PM   #1
Kenai2001

Question Just Getting Started

I stumbled upon this web site while looking for a friend and thought ya'll might be able to help. I have a great idea for a web site, but don't even know where to get started. I know some of the basics, but in a quandry about how to go about them. Just looking for someone to point me down the right path to get this thing off of the ground. Thanks!
Kenai2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 02:16 AM   #2
Jan

Administrator

Hi Kenai2001 welcome

Can you let us know how far your basics go so that we might help you?

For instance, do you know how to make a basic webpage, do you need software to help you, do you have somewhere to host your site when its done?

Did you find your friend here BTW?
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 10:24 PM   #3
Kenai2001

Okay....to be more specific....I am talking real basics here...for example, what are some good places to shop for a domain name, what software is recommended to help build the site; are there specific considerations that I need to take into account when I am in the planning stages. Basically, the only web based experience I have at this point was building my homepage (on Homestead), but am willing to do the research and take my time to learn and really build something spectacular....

Oh and to answer your question, I thought I had found my friend, but he never responded to my private message
Kenai2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 10:24 AM   #4
Kevco

okay, i would say it depends on your idea!
as far as software goes, i recommend evrsoft 1stpage, i love it and it's freeware,

but with web hosts, it depends on your idea, i wouldn't bother about the domain name, a lot of host offer a free one, and even if they don't they'll probably offer registration
Kevco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:01 AM   #5
Edwin

A domain name is one of the best investments you can make if you're trying to build a "serious" site i.e. one with which you hope to make some money at some point.

With a domain name, you're not tied to any particular hosting company, since you can change hosts at any time without breaking incoming links and search engine listings.

I recommend you look at http://www.namecheap.com/ or http://www.godaddy.com/ for low-cost domain name registrations.

As for hosting, you can get a reasonable starter account from http://www.ipowerweb.com/ or http://www.powweb.com/ for under $10 a month. They won't be the fastest or most powerful accounts, but it should be enough to get going, and if your site's traffic expands dramatically you can move on to a bigger/better hosting solution later (if you followed my advice and registered a domain name, you'll be able to do this totally seamlessly from your visitors' point of view)

Good luck!
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 04:44 PM   #6
notforsale

i agree edwin, that's very sound advice.

most of the people who surf the internet and are used to buying products are in america. get a .com address, americans like to buy from home. when setting your internet sales target be realistic. the internet is a very competitive and fickle market place. you are unlikely to hit the jackpot straight away, if ever. do not promote your site too soon. the web site must be ready before you go live. under construction signs, *no*.

take your time when choosing a name. i've made a few mistakes in the past, there are those who ask me for my password when they really want my url

you say "I have a great idea for a web site". when you say that, do you mean "i have a great idea for a new business" or have you an interesting new web site design that you wish to implement and you need the software?

if it's a new business, you will need to plan it like any other.
if it's software, use a text editor like notepad or vim [linux]. get a book on html and start typing. by the end of the week you'll know fifteen times more than if you used an html editor.

get paint shop pro!

make two .gifs 1X1 pixel transparent for spacing and 1X1 pixel in the colour of your text for rules, vertical lines and slightly longer hyphens.

having said all that, these are the people i wish to thank for helping me with my sites:

british telecom (connectivity)
hurricane electric (hosting)
cisco systems, inc. (routers, exp. the 1700 and 1720)
digital networks (hardware)
sony europe (laptop)
axis communications (webcams)
pc bookshop (books)
apache 1.3.14 (webserver)
red hat linux 6.2-7.2 (operating system)
openbsd 2.8-3.0 (operating system)
the gnome project (desktop environment)
perl 5.6.1 (programming language)
the gnu project
everyone who made the linux kernel possible
vim 6.0aq (text editor; thanks for the dynamic diffing)
vixie cron (scheduling)
sendmail 8.11.1 (mail transport agent, communication)
majordomo 1.94.5 (list management, communication)
mutt 1.3.27i (email, much communication)
buckminster fuller (inspiration)
bruce mau (inspiration, an incomplete manifesto)
eric raymond (too many things to parenthesise)
starbucks corporation (mental alertness, in very expensive cups)
fresh and wild (food)
cyberdog (geek chic)
j.s. bach (particularly brandenburg concertos 1-4; inspiration, music)
mute (magazine and website)
muji (great stationary, lovely transparent containers, and a million other things)
rhizome (website)
shift (website)
the institute of contemporary arts (many things)
josef muller-brockman (writer of the designer's)
johannes itten (the art of color)
jan tschichold (for revolutionising 20th century typography)
dell (pc)
apple (laptop)
macromedia (software)
emu (music hardware and software)
steinberg (music software)
saul bass (too many great title sequences)
oskar fischinger (animator who in the 1930's inspired disney's fantasia)
d'angelo (music and love)
john coltrane (music and a love supreme)
alice coltrane (music and love)
ahmad jamal (music and love)
stevie wonder(so much love)
mahatma gandhi (pure love)
martin luther king (pure love)
notforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:18 AM   #7
fphotoworks

Cool New Web site

Hi Kenai2001,

Go to http://www.zdnet.com and have a look at all the free to
download items there are which will help you.

I live in London UK but would never dream of hosting here or of getting a .co.uk address get a .com address.

Choose wisely I recently went to an XML exhibition and one of the trade stands was called

www.conchango.com they are heavily into microsoft .net but their choice of brand name conchango would not exactly roll off your tongue .

Your name above is a case in point never choose a year! It will soon be out of date!

good luck

fphotoworks
fphotoworks is offline   Reply With Quote