Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2001, 12:12 PM   #1
Gracklor

Question Best Virtual Host for Content Management System?

I've been trying to get a PHP/MYSQL content management system running on one of my sites, but I just can't get the programs to connect to the MYSQL database. While I like my virtual host, I'm wondering if I'm just with the wrong host if I want to take my web site to the next level.

Does anyone know of a good virtual host on which they are running a content management system?

Heh. So much for me not spending any more money this month.
Gracklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 02:34 PM   #2
hmahonen

Does your host support MySQL? If it does, then please check (and check again) that your MySQL hostname (usually localhost, varies from host to host), username, password and database names are correct.

If they are and you still can't connect, perhaps you should try to contact the support of the company you host your site at.

But, as an answer to your actual question, I've been quite happy with Ventures Online and Tera-Byte both and haven't had any problems with my sites (and they all use PHP/MySQL).
hmahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 02:33 AM   #3
Gracklor

Angry

It does support MySQL, I've contacted support (and they've confirmed that the database is up and running), and I'm quadruple-checked the login data and database name. I've tried two or three CMSs and every one of them complains that access is "denied." I hope this doesn't indicate how the winter break is going to go.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:48 PM   #4
elizabeth1
Member.

Hey,
Admin snipped. Abuse has a new awesome MySQL . They even have a data base where u can go in and adjust it!!!! Easier than MySQL
Has ever been!!!!!!

Admin snipped. Abuse

Last edited by Steve_S; 01-08-2002 at 05:30 PM.
elizabeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 07:21 PM   #5
Gracklor

Thumbs up

Problem has been solved, BTW. I have two domains with the same host, and they accidently configured the database to work with the wrong domain. I knew it wasn't my fault.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:21 PM   #6
Strider

Out of curiousity, what content management software are you using? I have been toying with postnuke.com and it seems pretty sweet.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 11:53 PM   #7
singloon

GeekGuide

also look at

http://www.phpnuke.org

http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu

been playing with both and phpnuke has more functions but phpwebsite just feels better ...

right now i just redesigned my largest web site and installed both in a private area for testing in the meanwhile i have partial php/mysql powered sections for news/archives, gallery etc

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 12:04 AM   #8
Strider

phpnuke has a lot of security holes so if you go with it, be careful and make sure you stay on top of new releases. The developers have been rather careless and have released fixes to the bugs that had their own bugs.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 03:19 PM   #9
Gracklor

I was actually looking at some of the ones listed above, pluse Siteseed, Typo3, and Pagetool.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just take the time to learn PHP and build my own CMS from scratch. I need something that will build a navigation structure, have a "new" section for jokes and pictures on the front page, and of course, make it really easy to add new jokes to a web site.

(I'm essentially looking for something that will enable me to simplify the addition and maintenance of pages on my joke site.) Right now I'm using FP 2002. (I'm even working on a re-design of the site, but that's taking a bit of time.) It gets the job done, but I still cannot create pages and throw them into the nav structure as fast as I could with a CMS.

I'm looking for something that will enable me to add more material to my site faster and give me time to study. Stupid school.

Last edited by Gracklor; 01-09-2002 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:55 PM   #10
maddeningcrowds

Make your own It solves a lot of problems. Makes a few though.

Can't you put your admin scripts behind a password protected directory? Dunno how that works on *nux but all my db admin scripts are in NT protected directories with a neat server log on box which pop up.
maddeningcrowds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 12:23 AM   #11
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by maddeningcrowds
Make your own It solves a lot of problems. Makes a few though.

Can't you put your admin scripts behind a password protected directory? Dunno how that works on *nux but all my db admin scripts are in NT protected directories with a neat server log on box which pop up.
i plan too one day

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote